Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Die Antwoord

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I saw them at LED a couple of weeks ago, they were crap although did a bit of a decent guest slot with Aphex Twin.

They are a spoof band anyway that have taken off in a big way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Ja we’re from the hip-hop family, but we do rap-rave next level shit. Die Antwoord started with my one homeboy, DJ Hi-Tek (shows tattoo on hand)—He’s got his own PC computer and he makes basically like phat rap-rave beats. I was checking out his shit, and we started making some beats, you know, next level shit. So then I was speaking to my homegirl Yo-Landi, you know she’s got some funk and super flavour, so we started with a kind of, like, 2Unlimited, C+C Music Factory kind of thing… but a bit more gangster, with a street edge. Then we found out you can put the songs for free on the interweb, no problem. Now the album’s pumping worldwide, like some next-level futuristic shit. Scotland, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Japan… In like, one second we’re in the overseas, it’s instant—like the matrix."

Hmmmm...

Seems reasonable to me. They remind me of DIY bands like Bonde De Role.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Are they really a spoof or parody though?

This is coming from someone who doesn't know much about hip hop and hasn't done any research about this lot either so really I know nothing, I do like any music though so I'll have a go anyway.........

I assumed they were just from a poor part of africa and the wierdness was culture difference/they didn't know any different. If it turns out they had money and grew up in gated off communities then my opinion would probably change a bit. Music is sometimes validated by a persons influences and upbringing. I still like the songs whatever their background.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are they really a spoof or parody though?

This is coming from someone who doesn't know much about hip hop and hasn't done any research about this lot either so really I know nothing, I do like any music though so I'll have a go anyway.........

I assumed they were just from a poor part of africa and the wierdness was culture difference/they didn't know any different. If it turns out they had money and grew up in gated off communities then my opinion would probably change a bit. Music is sometimes validated by a persons influences and upbringing. I still like the songs whatever their background.

I'm not convinced they are spoof tbh. The bloke seems to be involved in a number of projects, and seems to adopt a number of personas to undertake this. Ninja is just one of his many characters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It doesn't say it's a parody, just that he's had different charcters. They've probably invented an on stage persona for all of them. Mabye parody is the wrong word, but the act on stage and in the video isn't that bloke himself. Nothing wrong with that, nobody slagged off albarn for inventing the gorillaz.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It doesn't say it's a parody, just that he's had different charcters. They've probably invented an on stage persona for all of them. Mabye parody is the wrong word, but the act on stage and in the video isn't that bloke himself. Nothing wrong with that, nobody slagged off albarn for inventing the gorillaz.

Sure. I know what you mean. For me, I dont think they're a joke band like say Goldie Looking Chain....but equally I dont think they're a band that is steeped in hip-hop history. But, I do like them a lot.

In approach, attitude and outlook they remind me of Bonde De Role a short lived, sample heavy, rap Baile-funk outfit.

Last edited:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I love discovering new music and I like hip hop. Having just seen 'Enter the Ninja' on NME tv a moment ago, I have to say I thought that is was a joke. Appears not!

There's something quite interesting in the girls voice, but at the same time, quite, quite grating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here