Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you stand on my head, during the 197? Arsenal riot.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
Tottenham in 77-78 was probably the worst I remember. I was on the West Stand Terrace behind Mullers dugout and watched from afar as it all kicked off big time.

Whenever there was trouble the 'Yellow Helmets' (bike police) came in to sort it out. There was one copper with a big red beard who always seemed to get things sorted.

As for Chelsea, we used to stand on the North East terrace next to the visitors. We'd never left a game early but for some reason my Dad decided to leave a couple of minutes before the end which turned out to be a bloody good idea!

Tottenham were animals and it still gave satisfaction watching theme lose to Leicester on Sunday cos of the way they were (are??) that season. There place was bad as well - evil as they could (and did) attack you still in the ground in the common area after you'd come off the terrace.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bromley shrimp said:
Tottenham were animals and it still gave satisfaction watching theme lose to Leicester on Sunday cos of the way they were (are??) that season. There place was bad as well - evil as they could (and did) attack you still in the ground in the common area after you'd come off the terrace.

I have never liked Spurs or anything to do with them since that day - but at least we beat them.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
"hit em on the head with a baseball bat" was the tottenham chant that game , loads(10,100,101?) of tottenham behind us in the northstand (west of the goal) and a knife comes flying out of the crowd over our heads and lands on the pitch ... if anyone can confirm this childhood (16) memory i would be interested

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I wasn't there, but I was at the Spurs & Chelski games. They both brought f***ing loads down & they didn't come for a stick of rock!

The dodgiest one I remember was home to Millwall around 75-76 I think. We were 2-0 down & won 3-2. Which really upset "The Treatment" who wore donkey jackets & surgical masks & fought with police dogs! They were over in the West Stand & one of their other firms, "F-Troop", were battling with our boys known as The Bo'sun, (after the pub in West St) in the North Stand. These nasty bastards had the blades out, but Brighton managed to run them out.
I was a 14 year old who was shitting himself!!

Happy Days :lolol:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
smudge said:
I wasn't there, but I was at the Spurs & Chelski games. They both brought f***ing loads down & they didn't come for a stick of rock!

The dodgiest one I remember was home to Millwall around 75-76 I think. We were 2-0 down & won 3-2. Which really upset "The Treatment" who wore donkey jackets & surgical masks & fought with police dogs! They were over in the West Stand & one of their other firms, "F-Troop", were battling with our boys known as The Bo'sun, (after the pub in West St) in the North Stand. These nasty bastards had the blades out, but Brighton managed to run them out.

Sorry but the Bosun geezers were nearly all in the South Stand, especially then when it was terrace..... and that was too early for the West street poseurs.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Spurs made the best mess. Nothin' else stands in comparison!

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
smudge said:

27th August 1977.First home League match of that season.Mullery was so disgusted with the 1st half performance
that he sent the players back outside after 5 minutes of the half time break and made them stand in the pouring rain.
On the terraces ,we didn't often get the better of Millwall,but that day the North Stand stood it's ground.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
smudge said:

i remember that millwall game well, i got chucked out the ground twice in that game, (first time during the first half, then got back in towards the last 15 mins when they open the gates, then got thrown out again !!) i could well be wrong, but wasnt it before 75 / 76 ? so long ago my old brains had it :lolol: (and i cant bearsed to look up the old stats either !! :D )

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
sams dad said:
27th August 1977.First home League match of that season.Mullery was so disgusted with the 1st half performance
that he sent the players back outside after 5 minutes of the half time break and made them stand in the pouring rain.
On the terraces ,we didn't often get the better of Millwall,but that day the North Stand stood it's ground.

it was 77 was it ?? bloody hell.........time goes so quick when your enjoying yourself.......:lolol: :lolol:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
somerset said:
Sorry but the Bosun geezers were nearly all in the South Stand, especially then when it was terrace..... and that was too early for the West street poseurs.

hey somerset, you live in Yatton ? ....ive got a mate thats not long moved from there, hes got the post office in a small town / village a few miles away, (mike and nicola ??)

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
smudge said:

And we got them again down by the bus station. A mate of mine (did not know hem then) was there with the Millwall that night, and said he still remembers the night and that they were impressed with us. :smokin:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
smudge said:

That is my memory of that one too. Also do you remember at half time the Millwall trying to climb the wall to get into the seats in the West Stand and the people there battling with them....

One Police dog was kicked to death at that game too:down: :down: :down:

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
I was on holiday in Spain.
It was more painful watching the opening game of the season when we played well for about 10 minutes and made the mistake of singing "What's it like to be outclassed". Then we fell apart and lost 0-4.
0-0 and a good kicking would have been more acceptable.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
West ham in 1979 was the worst I remember at teh Goldstone....they were all over the ground that day.

anyone remember Birmingham City fans getting in when they opened the gates with 15 mins to go by the Lego stand...about 1985 I think it was...terrible trouble then

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
I may be wrong but in those days hoolie firms used to have a grand old time in and around the Goldstone but got a few problems in and around the town centre if they chose to make an issue there.

Town was never a nice place to go those weekends plenty of nasty weapons and flying glass. Plenty of ambushes in the Lanes and dark alleyways though.

Arsenal were a bunch of pussycats in comparison to West Ham and Millwall. then you have your bully boys who give it large when they have a material majority in numbers (Chelsea and Spurs).

Good old bad old days.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
sams dad said:

I was in the south west that day.

We were surrounded by Millwall fans wearing surgical masks!

Great comback by the Albion (I think Piper got the winner) but a horrible, uneasy feeling all through the game!

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
somerset said:

All around the ground wherever was appropriate to be near the away fans. It was the North Stand that night - in the middle surrounded by Millwall and then a big gap, after the kids had done one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here