Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you observe a silence for Remembrance Day?

Did you observe a period of silence?

• Yes, the full two minutes

Votes: 42 76.4%
  • Yes, a minute or less

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • No, I wasn't able to

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • No, I'm an ungrateful toe-rag

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • What's Remembrance Day?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes but around 4 minutes as it was marked by turning off the air conditioning and the house lady manageress thingy forgot to turn it on sooner.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Eddie the Seagull said:
I did, but I didn't have a poppy for the first time in years. :down:

I bought 2 on one day (donated some money as well) and lost them both after 10 minutes! so I didn't have one for today :(

I also forgot my wallet which had my money in today so I couldn't buy one.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Cereal Killer said:
I bought 2 on one day (donated some money as well) and lost them both after 10 minutes! so I didn't have one for today :(

I also forgot my wallet which had my money in today so I couldn't buy one.

Handy hint. Don't put the pin across the stalk of the poppy as it will fall out. Put the pin in the leaf above the poppy and it stays put.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Yes and also the phones did not ring during that time either. I have a German lady in my office and she said that in Germany they do not have a rememberance day, as they are too ashamed and do not want to reminded of it..

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Juan Albion said:
So it is the 11th day of the 11th month.

Did you observe a silence?

Yes-the full 2 minutes and as always, I remember how dignified the observation is in Canada.

From CITY Pulse news:

There are fewer of them in the crowd that gathers at Old City Hall every year. As the number of veterans who fought in World War II dwindles with each passing Remembrance Day, those left behind make it their duty to recall their friends who served with bravery and distinction.

The vets who made it to the ceremony at 11am on Thursday morning, were overcome by the emotion of the day – and the size of the crowd.

“It is nice to see so many people here now,” agrees 85-year-old Raymond Stockton. “Each year it seems to be more and more. And do you know what happened last year, when I was going home? I walked to the station to go to put my ticket in and the guy waved it away like that!”

James John Elias is 86. He came to pay tribute, as well. “I was fortunate, I made it,” he sighs. “Thousands of others made it. The ones that didn't make it, they deserve to be respected, so I come here every year."

But the reason 79-year-old Ray Ireland turns out every year is the same one that led him to fight for his country. “I am a strong nationalist,” he notes proudly. “I did it for Canada.”

And on Thursday, all of Canada said thanks.

:clap:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
mrhairy said:
Yes and also the phones did not ring during that time either. I have a German lady in my office and she said that in Germany they do not have a rememberance day, as they are too ashamed and do not want to reminded of it..

That is very sad. They weren't all monsters-the majority were just like the allies, scared teenagers following orders.

Last edited:

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I slept in unti 11:30 so I think I get the record for the longest moment of silence.

My wife stole my poppy as she is doing her practice teaching in a local high school. She was amazed at how many students had poppies.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Did you observe a silence for Remembrance Day?

Bwian said:
Yes-the full 2 minutes and as always, I remember how dignified the observation is in Canada.

From CITY Pulse news:

There are fewer of them in the crowd that gathers at Old City Hall every year. As the number of veterans who fought in World War II dwindles with each passing Remembrance Day, those left behind make it their duty to recall their friends who served with bravery and distinction.

The vets who made it to the ceremony at 11am on Thursday morning, were overcome by the emotion of the day – and the size of the crowd.

“It is nice to see so many people here now,” agrees 85-year-old Raymond Stockton. “Each year it seems to be more and more. And do you know what happened last year, when I was going home? I walked to the station to go to put my ticket in and the guy waved it away like that!”

James John Elias is 86. He came to pay tribute, as well. “I was fortunate, I made it,” he sighs. “Thousands of others made it. The ones that didn't make it, they deserve to be respected, so I come here every year."

But the reason 79-year-old Ray Ireland turns out every year is the same one that led him to fight for his country. “I am a strong nationalist,” he notes proudly. “I did it for Canada.”

And on Thursday, all of Canada said thanks.

:clap:

In Newhaven there is a specific war memorial to the Canadian forces that took part in the doomed Dieppe raid.

There is a wreath there now with white carnations as background and red ones depictiing the Maple Leaf of Canada.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
No, because its not traditional or anything here. Although I didn't actually speak or anything at 11, as I was coding intently on one monitor with NSC open on the other...

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Re: Re: Re: Did you observe a silence for Remembrance Day?

Yorkie said:
In Newhaven there is a specific war memorial to the Canadian forces that took part in the doomed Dieppe raid.

Mona Gould, a Canadian poet, was still a child when her brother left to fight in the Second World War. In a poem, she remembered him....

This was my brother
At Dieppe.
Quietly a hero
Who gave his life
Like a gift.
Withholding nothing.
His youth ... his love ...
His enjoyment of being alive ...
His future, like a book
With half the pages still uncut -

This was my brother
At Dieppe ...
The one who built me a doll house
When I was seven,
Complete to the last small picture frame,
Nothing forgotten.
He was awfully good at fixing things,
At stepping into the breach when he was needed.
That's what he did at Dieppe.

He was needed.

And even death must have been a little ashamed
At his eagerness.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Re: Re: Did you observe a silence for Remembrance Day?

Bwian said:

We also have special quarters with a red poppy in the middle. Rather cool. Supposed to be the first widely circulated coloured coin in the world.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
i did in fact i think i was only one of a few who did. people seem to preoccupied with work these days and forget the important things in life

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here