Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you HONESTLY expect Brighton to finish in the top ten?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
It wasnt me who said at the fans forum that we were going for promotion this season as opposed to last season expecting mid table mediocrity. I believed what he said and was really hopeful of promotion and despite the bringing in of better players and letting the weaker ones go around Christmas time, I will be dissappointed to not be in the final run in for promotion.

So not a swipe at him unless you consider 'the control freak' to be a swipe but that is an opinion shared by the majority not just me, rightly or wrongly.

The control freak statement was a swipe, but we have come to expect it (that was a swipe as well).

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It wasnt me who said at the fans forum that we were going for promotion this season as opposed to last season expecting mid table mediocrity. I believed what he said and was really hopeful of promotion and despite the bringing in of better players and letting the weaker ones go around Christmas time, I will be dissappointed to not be in the final run in for promotion.

So not a swipe at him unless you consider 'the control freak' to be a swipe but that is an opinion shared by the majority not just me, rightly or wrongly.

I am surprised that you think the majority consider him to be a control freak. I don't know anyone who thinks that.

Most, like me, are not privy to the inner workings of the club so wouldn't know one way or the other, and are therefore not qualified to have an opinion.

You have an opinion on it so are you able to tell us on what basis you formed that opinion?

Dandyman

In London village.
Nice 'big' swipe at BG there..

:laugh:

Some of us are still waiting for BG to reveal the multi-million pound backers that are desperate to put their money into the club.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
People forget that outside the penalty area Wardy hardly ever did anything.

I had expected 10-12 at best so I'm very happy with the season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some of us are still waiting for BG to reveal the multi-million pound backers that are desperate to put their money into the club.

That was 10 years ago when we were still at The Goldstone before DK became involved and the figure was £80m over a 7 year plan. I am not prepared to name the person concerned but it is known by my closest associates and known to have been authentic. I am no longer in contact with the person as I have retired vurtually.

Since then my only thoughts on that are that I THINK that there will be somebody out there watching as was the rumour with David Gold. One of BHA largest contributors at the moment is worth in excess of £100m but I am told that he isnt interested in taking over.
On the control freak bit it is the opinion of many in the North Stand, if you care to listen to them and also voiced on here and in the press.

Does that answer all of your questions and we can get back to the football side of life here and our chances of making the playoffs.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
where i expected us to finish isnt the point in my opinion.
I never really expected us to make the play offs but I DID expect us to beat Port Vale at home.

After a set of great results it seems to me the players just expected the result to come to them, this never happens you have to earn the right to win a game whoever the opposition and we never did that.
things just dont happen in a game of football you have to make them happen.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's typical Albion. Just when you can safely write the season off and settle for mid table, they go on a run and make you believe they can do it. But that's what football teams do and why we find it exiciting.
Wilkins is right. We are ahead of where we probably all thought we would be at the start of the season. I think it takes 2 or 3 years to build a team so we're definitely on track.
The play offs are now a bridge too far this season and anything less than a victory tomorrow night will confirm that. But I am looking forward to some good signings in the summer and a real crack at promotion next season. And with work at Falmer starting in the autumn (let's hope), I am quietly optimistic about the future. Wilkins needs and deserves time. Absurd nonsense to talk of sacking him - just laughable.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
That was 10 years ago when we were still at The Goldstone before DK became involved and the figure was £80m over a 7 year plan. I am not prepared to name the person concerned but it is known by my closest associates and known to have been authentic. I am no longer in contact with the person as I have retired vurtually.

Since then my only thoughts on that are that I THINK that there will be somebody out there watching as was the rumour with David Gold. One of BHA largest contributors at the moment is worth in excess of £100m but I am told that he isnt interested in taking over.
On the control freak bit it is the opinion of many in the North Stand, if you care to listen to them and also voiced on here and in the press.

Does that answer all of your questions and we can get back to the football side of life here and our chances of making the playoffs.

Sorry to go on about it BG, but I would like to know where the control freak bit comes from. You may very well be right but, surely, to have that opinion you need to have seen evidence of it?

Otherwise, it's like saying you don't like a beer without ever having tasted it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whether or not he is actually a control freak is not the question it is the impression that he gives and that people form of him by his continual I have done this, I have bought that player not we as in the board or management team. It is put across as if they have had no input into any decisons and this is how he comes across at the fans forums. He has said he would invite people with money to join the board but has made it clear that he would not step aside if that happened and my view is that if some body with untold wealth came in he would not accept the money unless he remained in control. Rightly so it appears, because of what he has done during the past 10 years, he has set his mind on leading us out at Falmer and nobody or no amount of investment of money will stop him doing that.

This is just an opinion that I have formed and also a large number of other people, I believe.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The facts are that we have exhibited EXACTLY the sort of credentials this season for a team about to finish 8th / 9th, i.e:

1. Ability to beat teams in Top 6 but ability to lose to teams in bottom 6.
2. Generally disappointing away but good at home.
3. Go on good runs occasionally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here