Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you HONESTLY expect Brighton to finish in the top ten?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Before the season and then again when we were struggling earlier on this term?

No?

Then stop RUDDY moaning.

We have been on a great run, got some good results, and are within four points of the play offs with five games left.

I think MOST fans would have taken that pre-season.

Never.

About three weeks ago, I thought tenth. Then we got half decent results at Leeds and Forest and I thought eighth. After yesterday ... ninth.

Walking out of Withdean, I detected that a mood of realism, rather than disappointment, had settled in.

At least we are spared the hysteria about ticketing and travel arrangements.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yes, yes I did.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope and neither did I expect us to spend 300k on a striker who I think is quality and so many think is a lazy git worth moaning about.

I also didn't expect DW to be able to entice such good players here on loan and permanently.

However I DID expect us to lose to Port Vale yesterday

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
EXACTLY.

Yes Murray looks like he isn't bothered but he COULD have ended up with two goals yesterday if his second wasn't chalked off.

He also won the majority of headers he went for.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
EXACTLY.

Yes Murray looks like he isn't bothered .

It's just his style and as you say he won the majority of headers he went for AND laid off some good balls one of which resulted in a goal and he did score one too. Worth a moan? I don't think so.

Perhaps we should have stuck with Revell and his 100% effort and shite ball control, it seems that's what some Brighton fans seem to prefer...

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As I said on the other thread - would rather have someone CLASS like Murray than someone who chases every lost cause like Virgo or Revell.

One of the most lethargic looking players ever to grace Withdean was ... Bobby Zamora.

Remember when he was given a run out in the England Under 21 team in the midfield? And we all thought that this was crazy, because he doesn't do battling for possession?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think it is the Murray "style" as well and we just need to get used to this.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it is the Murray "style" as well and we just need to get used to this.

Which is pretty well what John Byrne said on the phone in in response to Harty's slightly ott comparison of Murray to Stan Bowles or was it Rodney Marsh ???

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One of the most lethargic looking players ever to grace Withdean was ... Bobby Zamora.

Remember when he was given a run out in the England Under 21 team in the midfield? And we all thought that this was crazy, because he doesn't do battling for possession?

I`ve seen many lazy looking players at the Albion including Malcolm Posket, Ian Mellor and even a little lad called Peter Ward.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I`ve seen many lazy looking players at the Albion including Malcolm Posket, Ian Mellor and even a little lad called Peter Ward.

I'm pretty sure they all all, definitely Wardie, had more pace than Murray which could explain some thinking he is lazy when he doesn't go for balls he has no chance of getting but which a faster foward would undoubtably have a chance of making?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I wonder whether we would have been higher or lower in the table now had we kept O'Callaghan and Savage and not signed Murray or Thomson? I'm not sure there would have been much in it.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I said we'd be 12th at the end of the season so we are doing better than I expected.
When NMH talked about foxes and rabbits yesterday I said the rabbits often won so half expected yesterday's defeat too.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
mid table was always my bet and anything better is a bonus,having said that not to get in the play-offs would be a bit of a downer.

next season will be different I hope ........go up and we will struggle but stay up stay where we are we will be at least in the play-offs.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
No, after the abject performance at Cheltenham I was worried that we might slip into the relegation battle...fortunately things have picked up decidedly since then. I would have taken a place in the top 10 before the season started and like glasfryn I am a bit disappointed that having flirted briefly with the play-offs that we probably aren't going to make it. As the season draws to a close I am optimistic for next year, we have certainly improved this time out, made a few shrewd signings...things are looking up.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
At the start of the season I thought any improvement on last season would be a bonus. if you'd ave pushed my I'd have said 10th or 11th. When we beat Swindon away 3-0 before Christmas I thought we were going to finish approx 6th but by about 3 weeks later I would have settled for 17th again!

I'd always thogught even after our good run our chance of making the play offs and proving Hammond wrong was slim, but the results at Forest and Leeds kept the hope going. I thought the banana skin woud be Southend way though; not yesterday!

So, I am bitterly disappointed and yes I have written our chances off, I'm afraid. But I think that's realism not pessisim - but I shall be delighted if proved wrong!

What does annoy me is how someone like Kuipers can go - in peoples eyes - from hero at Forest and Leeds to zero against Port Vale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here