Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did the idea of buying tickets on the day ever come off?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
far be it for me to suggest, but stay on the train till Brighton, walk down to the shop, and back on the train

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
But I'll be coming from Lewes so I won't be going anywhere near Queens Road.

So make your mind up earlier. Buy online up to midday and I gather still able to book over the phone until 1pm

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I can go to any other ground in the country and assuming it's not sold out I can buy a ticket for the game. Why not at Brighton? Why can they sell tickets for the game in Queens Road and not the club shop? It doesn't make any sense.

Granted at the moment it's not a massive issue as the majority of tickets are season ticket holders. But what happens games like tomorrow that won't sell out and we want to attract the casual fan? My first ever game as child my dad took me as a spur of the moment thing for something to do to keep me quiet for the afternoon. I was hooked. How many people are we missing out on because we are putting these needless and pointless obstacles in the way.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My first ever game as child my dad took me as a spur of the moment thing for something to do to keep me quiet for the afternoon. I was hooked. How many people are we missing out on because we are putting these needless and pointless obstacles in the way.

That was pretty much how my brother and I got going with Brighton, my Dad sent us down to Brighton one saturday afternoon in August to watch a game when we had just moved here as we were moping around the house.

Its rediculous that you can turn up to most games and approach the ticket kiosks to get "tickets". But of course we had to sell our soul to get the planning permission through to appease some bloody farmers and that is where we are.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I thought it said you could buy tickets online tomorrow, and also at the club shop on Queen's Road on the day too.

When I read it yesterday it said you can get tix up to 3pm at Queens Road!!

Granted it will have started by then but even so, thats really really last min!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Its rediculous that you can turn up to most games and approach the ticket kiosks to get "tickets". But of course we had to sell our soul to get the planning permission through to appease some bloody farmers and that is where we are.

So it was part of the planning permission that we can't sell match tickets from the ground on a match day??

I can understand the reasoning for that to be in place at Withdean (it was wrong but I could understand why they wanted that in place) but at Falmer?? Who are they going to be upsetting if they sell tickets on a match day??

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I can go to any other ground in the country and assuming it's not sold out I can buy a ticket for the game. Why not at Brighton? Why can they sell tickets for the game in Queens Road and not the club shop? It doesn't make any sense.

Granted at the moment it's not a massive issue as the majority of tickets are season ticket holders. But what happens games like tomorrow that won't sell out and we want to attract the casual fan? My first ever game as child my dad took me as a spur of the moment thing for something to do to keep me quiet for the afternoon. I was hooked. How many people are we missing out on because we are putting these needless and pointless obstacles in the way.

seriously mate, how hard is it to wander down to the club shop on Queens Road to pick up a ticket before the match on a Saturday? Bearing in mind the train takes 9 mins from Brighton to Falmer, and the club shop is less than 10 minutes walk from the station... okay if you live near the Amex then that's a bit of a hassle, but for everybody else, you've no excuses!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When I read it yesterday it said you can get tix up to 3pm at Queens Road!!

Granted it will have started by then but even so, thats really really last min!

It still does. Without checking the train timetable to verify, I guess that means you could still buy one at 2:30 and be in your seat for kick-off(ish).

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
seriously mate, how hard is it to wander down to the club shop on Queens Road to pick up a ticket before the match on a Saturday? Bearing in mind the train takes 9 mins from Brighton to Falmer, and the club shop is less than 10 minutes walk from the station... okay if you live near the Amex then that's a bit of a hassle, but for everybody else, you've no excuses!

I don't live anywhere near Brighton and would have to go past Falmer to get to the center of town. So yes it's a right pain in the arse. It's an hour out of my life that I don't need to lose. For the floating fan, actually no even just for the floating fan as I don't consider myself as a floating fan for a game I'm umming and arring about going to game having to fight my way into town only to have come all the way back again is probably enough of a reason order another pint and stay in the pub.

People are going to moaning like f*** once the honeymoon period is over and we're not selling out every week. Towards the end of last season I was chatting to a bloke who told me he used to go to the Goldstone back in the day but hadn't been to football for years. He said it'll be great when you get the new ground because getting a tickets for Withdean was a nightmare. Obviously it wasn't but my point is he still thought it was tricky to get tickets for Withdean because it was when we first moved back and it held 6k. If we are putting stupid and unnecessary obstacles in the way it's not going to encourage people to go and people tend to have long memories when they've had a bad experience.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't live anywhere near Brighton and would have to go past Falmer to get to the center of town. So yes it's a right pain in the arse. It's an hour out of my life that I don't need to lose. For the floating fan, actually no even just for the floating fan as I don't consider myself as a floating fan for a game I'm umming and arring about going to game having to fight my way into town only to have come all the way back again is probably enough of a reason order another pint and stay in the pub.

Although, until midday you could just hop on the ticket site, on your phone, and buy a ticket and pick it up from the ground thereby saving the need to head into town. Still not the same as rocking up at the ground itself at 2pm with some cash in your pocket, I grant you.

However, I also bet if someone did turn up at the Amex with a £20 note tomorrow at 2pm, they won't be turned away. There has to be some common sense.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

People are going to moaning like f*** once the honeymoon period is over and we're not selling out every week. Towards the end of last season I was chatting to a bloke who told me he used to go to the Goldstone back in the day but hadn't been to football for years. He said it'll be great when you get the new ground because getting a tickets for Withdean was a nightmare. Obviously it wasn't but my point is he still thought it was tricky to get tickets for Withdean because it was when we first moved back and it held 6k. If we are putting stupid and unnecessary obstacles in the way it's not going to encourage people to go and people tend to have long memories when they've had a bad experience.

As Bozza says, you can order online up to 12 and then pick up at the Amex. Frankly, your repetitive ramblings will have taken you much longer than it would take to buy a ticket! Given that you have said you live a way away, you'd have to decide soon after noon that you were going anyway.:fishing:

PG

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So it was part of the planning permission that we can't sell match tickets from the ground on a match day??

I can understand the reasoning for that to be in place at Withdean (it was wrong but I could understand why they wanted that in place) but at Falmer?? Who are they going to be upsetting if they sell tickets on a match day??

Ask FPC. Without all of their ridiculous scare-mongering we wouldn't have needed to make it so bloody difficult to sell tickets on the day in order to assist the planning application.

Now we're in The Amex with most things working well, it must be time to say bollocks to FPC, talk to B&H Council and get the rules relaxed?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As Bozza says, you can order online up to 12 and then pick up at the Amex. Frankly, your repetitive ramblings will have taken you much longer than it would take to buy a ticket! Given that you have said you live a way away, you'd have to decide soon after noon that you were going anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with Arthur and others - if games are not sold out then there will be people who look out of their lounge window at 1pm and decide to go to the game. They'll want to travel directly to the ground and pick up a ticket there and then, and not have to faff about online or going into central Brighton.

We're still too early into this process to know what the club may do if/when this becomes an ongoing situation and we may see more of it when we have 30,000 seats to fill. Maybe buying on the day at the ground will become an option.

For the time being, I imagine that the club see having tickets for sale on the day as likely to encourage drivers who will try to find parking, and they don't want that. By routing people to Queens Road you can almost guarantee they won't be driving, thereby fitting in with preferred travel methods.

I do wonder how many away fans we have missed out on who were able to make a late decision to come but were unable to. Or, perhaps again, any that have rocked up have been sorted out, on the quiet, if the away end had capacity.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Now we're in The Amex with most things working well, it must be time to say bollocks to FPC, talk to B&H Council and get the rules relaxed

Are there actually any rules? Genuinely, I do not know.

3pm day of the game Queens road.

No issues !

No issue for most of us as largely devoted fans, maybe. I don't think the same can be said for more casual supporters.

The logic behind this thinking is that not selling tickets on the day AT THE STADIUM discourages people travelling to games by unsustainable transport (ie by car). At Withdean, it meant that every ticket holder bought a travel voucher.

As a means to achieve any objective of this sort, the travel voucher scheme at Falmer is plainly an abject failure. If you buy a ticket three days before the game, there's no requirement to get a travel voucher.

I'd like to hear a convincing argument about why selling tickets at the Amex on the day for an undersubscribed game would lead to undesirable consequences. I can't think of one.

Incidentally ... it's not a planning condition, in itself. The planning condition is that there is a travel management plan in place. A rule about on the day ticket sales can be part of that plan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here