Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did Reading poach?!?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From their official site:

Royals Chairman John Madejski has explained the reasons for the delay in appointing Steve Coppell as new Reading manager.

The Chairman said he wanted to speak to Coppell much earlier but was initially not given permission by Brighton Chairman Dick Knight, and his determination to follow the correct procedures caused the process to take longer than normal.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~435780,00.html

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Its a tough one that.
Personally i think what Madejski did was hypocritical after the fuss he made over West Hams approach for Pardew (which was indeed somewhat illegal) but as he followed the correct procedure then there seems to be nothing wrong.

We are probably going to 'poach' somebody anyway.

In a way i hope we don't go for Dowie, Olhdham have more than enough problems as it is.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
They poached some eggs for the starter in the corp. hospitality on matchday.

The cheeky girls have fried eggs!

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
To be fair, if we do go after Dowie, he is working without a contract at Oldham, so I doubt it could be called poaching.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Dowie is a rare breed a loyal manager he is going no where as long as Oldham exists.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
No, they asked Dick Knight for permission, and the pound signs for compensation started spinning in his eyes! More money to spend on Falmer instead of the playing side!:nono:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Italiaseagull said:
To be fair, if we do go after Dowie, he is working without a contract at Oldham, so I doubt it could be called poaching.

He's an ugly boy though. Perhaps he could wear a paper bag over his head when in the dug out so not to scare us fans?

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
Did Dick really refuse permission 'first' time?? I thought Madjeski said he would ask the Chairman of the Club of the Manager he was approaching (stay with me.... I'm getting there!) for permission to speak to said Manager but if it was refused he would move on to the next target......

Did he 'poach'?? No.

Is he a hypocrite?? Yes.

Is he a liar?? I'm sure Dick gave permission straight away, in which case - YES, he is a big, fat, syrup-headed tosswoir....

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
It's because DK wanted BHA to get through the batch of games up to Blackpool before letting discussions begin:

"Can we talk to your manager?"
"Yes, but not until we've finished off this hectic run of games"
"OK, we'll talk later".

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I was very reliably informed that Steve Coppell had his first interview on 21st September so how much delay was there in speaking to Steve Coppell.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes.

He was under contract at the Albion, and they approached us to take him out of his contract. Whether you call it poaching or head-hunting (as it would be in the rest of the working World), it amounts to the same thing. They have taken a manager who we wanted to keep, and had under contract.

It's NOT as bad as what West Ham did, but it is still poaching.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry people seem to have missed the point of what I was saying.

If they asked to speak to Coppell and Dick Knight said 'yes' then I, personally, had no problem with it and would not call it poaching at all.

If however, as the Reading site said, Dick Knight said 'No', but Coppell has still ended up there then I would call it poaching.

(However, it seems as the 'No' was more like 'No, not just yet we have a lot of games coming up, speak to him after them')

But didn't madejski state publically after Pardew left, that if he was rebuffed by a chairman, then that would be the end of the matter.

which makes "The Chairman said he wanted to speak to Coppell much earlier but was initially not given permission by Brighton Chairman Dick Knight"

sound like poaching to me

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
A better explanation on the BBC:

"When I first approached Brighton chairman Dick Knight they had a clutch of games coming up and he didn't want Steve distracted," said Madejski.

"Then when the time came that we could talk to Steve we had to negotiate the contract. We are delighted we have got him. We have finally got our man."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/3177430.stm

If you have permission, it isn't poaching. End of.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Of course he was poached.You can talk all day long about 'official approaches',contracts and the rest but the fact remains Reading went for a manager that was happily doing great things at a football club and have upset alot of people.

All this after complaining,in public, that the same was done to them.

POACHERS

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
albiongirl said:
Dowie is a rare breed a loyal manager he is going no where as long as Oldham exists.

Not true, he publicly stated that he wanted the West Ham job

He has also been linked with the Stockport job

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
How can an official approach be interpreted as poaching Brixtaan?

In my view they were open and up front about it. It would have been a totally different situation if they'd asked Dick Knight permission to speak to him, he said no but then they went behind the club's back to get him anyway. Now that would have been poaching.

Where abouts in Brixton do you live Brixtaan? I live in Herne Hill.

Jul 21, 2003
i didnt miss ur poiunt Bozza but Silent isntgonna complain which is the real issue coz he gets more dough to plough into Falmer he's happy but cant say that coz he needs to keep the fans happy etc

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
ok sneaky, how about 'robbing'? is that more palatable?

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
sorry sneaky didn't read the rest,actually in Tooting now but have to keep that quiet because Tooting Gull's not happy.:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here