Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Did Led Zep or The Stones ever play in Brighton?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If I remember rightly, the first performance of Dark Side material at The Dome was a few months earlier when their whizz bang electronics failed and I endured a first half of crackling noises and equipment failures including some gadget designed to send sound around the audience.

Azimuth Co-Ordinator. That was the thing that failed. I believe it was why they returned to The Dome to give the first full performance of Dark Side of the Moon a few months later in June.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I attended The Stones 'Big Apple gig' 10 March 1971. Zep at The Dome Christmas 1972, The Who, Worthing Assembly hall, premiering 'The Who's next', I saw Supertramp at The Richmond, probably pre 'Crime of the Century'. I also saw Townes Van Zandt there. Must have been shortly before he died. Bowie /Groundhogs at The Dome. The list is endless. The outstanding Concerts? The two Springsteen gigs at The Centre, as part of 'The River' tour, and numerous Jackson Browne gigs.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If I remember rightly, the first performance of Dark Side at The Dome was a few months earlier when their whizz bang electronics failed and I endured a first half of crackling noises and equipment failures including some gadget designed to send sound around the audience.

Led Zeppelin played the Dome in Dec 72 (I was lucky enough to be there, although the sound wasn't great that night if memory serves). One of my earliest gigs.

I think the Stones played the Hippodrome in 1964 but don't hold me to that.

I was at the Led Zep gig. I think they arrived too late for a sound check hence the dodgy sound. It was the one were the band or roadies drove round and churned up the Pavilion Grounds afterwards to much opprobrium from the local civic dignitaries. I was usually the sober driver for our gang of three, so sometimes remember a bit more detail than yer average gig goer.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I was at the Led Zep gig. I think they arrived too late for a sound check hence the dodgy sound. It was the one were the band or roadies drove round and churned up the Pavilion Grounds afterwards to much opprobrium from the local civic dignitaries. I was usually the sober driver for our gang of three, so sometimes remember a bit more detail than yer average gig goer.

Must have been around the time of Led Zeppelin 3. They also played a Presley track. Might have been 'Heartbreak Hotel'.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As I said earlier, they didn't play with The Who. It was The Move that were on that Hendrix tour (and Amen Corner and The Nice)

There's a full list of gigs here - quite a few in Brighton, including Miss Teenage Brighton!

(the most bizarre non-Brighton gig must be the Gwent Constabulary Summer Ball)

Thats rings a better bell ( all before my time) I'm trying to find the picture of the ticket on a friends FB page, Cream rings a bell too.

https://www.brightonvibes.co.uk/post/jimi-hendrix-brighton-dome/

https://www.brightonvibes.co.uk/post/jimi-hendrix-brighton-dome/

http://novdec1967.blogspot.com/2010/02/2-december-1967-dome-brighton.html

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't get much bigger than this:-

Being-Frank-The-Chris-Sievey-Story-still-1-Frank-Sidebottom-photo-credit-Dave-Arnold-590x300.jpg

Upstairs of a pub, the room had red walls.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If I remember rightly, the first performance of Dark Side at The Dome was a few months earlier when their whizz bang electronics failed and I endured a first half of crackling noises and equipment failures including some gadget designed to send sound around the audience.

Must have been around the time of Led Zeppelin 3. They also played a Presley track. Might have been 'Heartbreak Hotel'.

I cheated and checked the setlist and you're right about Heartbreak Hotel. Part of a medley by all accounts.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was always led to believe that neither the Stones or the Beatles had ever played in Worthing, so she may be able to explode that myth.

I went to see Danny Baker at the Pavilion in Feb 2017 and he said it was actually 50 years to the night that Hendrix had played the same venue.

I’ve just spoken to her, it was the Who at Worthing, and Hove for the Stones, as others have said.

Either, she’s getting old, or I am.

albionite

May 20, 2009
My step dad saw The Stones at the Hippodrome in the 60's and here's a flyer from the Oasis gig in the 90's. The La's briefly reformed and this was their last gig.View attachment 129916

Must of missed that one, surprised as I was a big fan of ride.
Remember seeing oasis at the Brighton centre East wing that year, only 200ish turned up. Same night Italy played rep Ireland in world cup. They turned up late to watch the game.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I attended The Stones 'Big Apple gig' 10 March 1971. Zep at The Dome Christmas 1972, The Who, Worthing Assembly hall, premiering 'The Who's next', I saw Supertramp at The Richmond, probably pre 'Crime of the Century'. I also saw Townes Van Zandt there. Must have been shortly before he died. Bowie /Groundhogs at The Dome. The list is endless. The outstanding Concerts? The two Springsteen gigs at The Centre, as part of 'The River' tour, and numerous Jackson Browne gigs.

I would have loved to have seen Townes Van Zandt, but I did see Springsteen at The Centre on The River tour too. One of my finest gig memories and I didn't even pay for the ticket. I wonder what the largest number of future North Stand Chatters at a single Brighton gig would have been?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
YES at the Big Apple. Genesis, Audience plus one other at the Dome for 5 shillings :lolol:
Tull at the Dome. Mott the Hoople at the Dome.....depends on one's definition of a big group I guess ?!?!
Soft Machine at the Dome, and Family,and...those were the days ;)

I used to collect the posters advertising these from the offices in Old Steine. (They weren't locked in those days.)
Saw some fantastic bands at the Dome.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
And Bill Wyman wore a Palace shirt. Not that we were rivals then, of course.

I am always staggered by people's memories.
I can remember sleeping in (I think) Middle Street overnight to queue to buy tickets from a record shop near the Cottage.
A lady let the girls in to use her loo and gave us a cup of tea. Later on a guy drove past and stopped and offered us a drink from his hip flask. A policeman woke us up in the morning to warn us that people were arriving and jumping the queue.

I have no recollection of the gig apart from the sound being pretty awful and not seeing much. (Too short !)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I believe the Stones played the Big Apple (the old Regent ballroom).
The Who were pretty regular at the Florida Rooms (aquarium) as far back as when they were the High Numbers, but also played the Hippodrome and Brighton Centre.

I don’t remember the Stones at the Regent, but definitely saw The Who at the Florida Rooms. My Generation had just been released when I saw them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don’t remember the Stones at the Regent, but definitely saw The Who at the Florida Rooms. My Generation had just been released when I saw them.

My father was very much into the Brighton music scene and saw The Stones in Brighton. It was in the 60s at The Hippodrome. He was also at the Hendrix and Floyd Dome gig. His favourite band of the time was The Who, which he saw numerous times from their early days as The High Numbers. Florida Rooms was often mentioned when he spoke about those days. As well as The Bath Arms, and a cafe called Lorelei..or similar.

A few years ago he got talking to Roger Daltry who was seated nearby in the 1901 Club...and they had a good natter about the “crazy days” in the 60s.

He also gave a lift to one of Groove Armada in his wheelchair....that’s another story though.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
missed that one but was lucky enough to see Crass & Poison Girls at Field Place Bowls club early 80's .

Summer of 1982, I seem to recall the Crass lead singer came on with an Adam Ant white stripe across his nose his nose in some kind of weird homage, and uttered the immortal words "Stand and Deliver".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here