Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did Calderon have a good game at centre back today?

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
Unfortunately i couldn't make the game today, but according to the stats i read the Brum didn't have a shot on target today. Was this bad finishing or did we play really well at the back?? If so fair play to Gus who saw a weakness there!!!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Seems odd that Reyes wasn't played as centre back, seeing as that seems to be his favoured position, and where he is most often used by his country.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I thought he was excellent today, ran Bridcutt close for MoM. Greer was very good too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Competition for places has been sadly missing for our defence, so far this season.

It seems like Dunk is getting the treatment Calde has been on the end of.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dunk hasn't actually played that well for several weeks now, so he can hardly complain at being dropped. You can't expect Poyet to accept mediocrity simply because a player is young.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
few dodgy moments early on, once when he let the ball bounce and backing off too far against a high ball but you would expect that and there were also times when he and Greer were not in sync positionally but again that is hardly unexpected. He got everything in the air and generally looked very accomplished with a couple of good tackles and one very good block. Not MoM in my view - that had to be Bridcutt for me- but a good game for Calde and I am delighted for him, I think his attitude is absolutely fantastic.

We haven't resolved all the issues in a single stroke. There were a couple of occassions when we headed the ball back across our own box - once in the first half when a goal could easily have resulted and once in the second when it fell invitingly into a gap which would almost certainly have been occupied by Wood had he not just been subbed. Birmingham were a little leggy after playing on Thursday night and in other circumstances might have taken better advantage of our mistakes.

Greer got a yellow for bringing Zigic down and was perhaps fortunate that there were a couple of others around him because it could easily have been a red. I think the changes in defence are adversely affecting his game as in my view he is not as commanding or as assured as he has been.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
interesting turn of events re calde..dropped for the West Ham game...then a star at centre back...thats football for u

Ha! my thoughts too,that said 3 recent signings have upped everybody i feel.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dunk hasn't actually played that well for several weeks now, so he can hardly complain at being dropped. You can't expect Poyet to accept mediocrity simply because a player is young.
But he could complain if he was dropped in favour of someone, who wasn't up to his own standard, even on a bad day.

We've had no/limited defensive cover all season, due to Gus strengthening the other end of the pitch, in the summer.

Now Harper and Reyes have come in, not only giving Gus creditable options (sorry Tanno) but also applying positive pressure on those already in the team.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I thought he was bloody superb but I may be biased as I bloody love the man.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Calderon was excellent today. He even managed to successfully challenge that 6'8" bloke for a header and did enough to stop him scoring!

Harper appreciated that big time, put his body on the line to get to that. He got up a lot quicker than I thought after hitting that brick wall of a player. Greer did well to put him in his place as soon as he came on as well

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Agreed, wasn't expecting it but a good move by Gus.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Calde was our mom today. They didnt look like scoring at all, Paynter looked strong as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here