Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did Burnley fans REALLY applaud CMS's wonder goal?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I remember the North Stand at Withdean cheering Stokes last goal in that drubbing they gave us at the end of the season a few years ago under Mcghee. Irony may have been a factor.

The South were cheering from their third. The best bit was Stoke erupting like they'd won the cup when Doug Loft got the consolation goal to make it 5-1.

I also remember the Chris Eagles goal that was a beaut from the halfway line. I think that may have got some polite applause out of me too.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Marco Gabbiadini?

Ah yes, just remembered one cracker that got applause at Withdean. Chris Eagles' (when on loan from Man U to, er, who was it??) perfectly flighted chip from the halfway line that soared beyond the flailing arms of Albion's hastily retreating and aghast custodian, before absolutely whanging into the net.

Was playing for Watford. Was one of the best goals I have seen live.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Marco Gabbiadini?

Ah yes, just remembered one cracker that got applause at Withdean. Chris Eagles' (when on loan from Man U to, er, who was it??) perfectly flighted chip from the halfway line that soared beyond the flailing arms of Albion's hastily retreating and aghast custodian, before absolutely whanging into the net.

...And past Gary Hart rushing back....great goal...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes, definite applause - heard it on the radio at the time and in the extended highlights. It also shut Mr Angry up.

I seem to remember quite a few people applauding Oxford after they dicked us 3-0 in the FA Cup 81-82 at the Goldstone, whilst at the same time there were a few in the North Stand giving their striker Nazi salutes!! A truly awful afternoon!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I remember the Chris Eagles goal and applauding it. It was the only goal in a 1-0 win for Watford, where he was on loan at the time.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Living only 8 miles from Burnley, being known as the only BHA fan in the area and owning the local shop, I had a few customers comment this morning and a number said that they had applauded CMS. I could hardly get my big smiling face through the door :)

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
History: Not only have I cheered an opposing goal one in 1965-66 but the crowd chanted their team name. Once only.

A goal that desrved a clap was the shock of Ray Train scoring of a goal for Rochdale in 71. Two problems: the result was much too important and it was too crowded to clap anyway.

I am trying to think of goals that deserve being clapped but apart from Ray Train's I cannot remember specific goals right now.

I can think of a good song for him ! They used to play it on Childrens' Favourites back in the late 50s.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
See post 13 here. Quote: "What was nice to see was the amount of sporting applause in the Longside upper for CMS's goal. (Me included).
It was a lesson in finishing and a pleasure to watch. What do you think his value is?"

Did that really happen? If so, fair play to those Clarets fans.

But would an Albion crowd EVER clap a match-winning goal by an opponent at the Amex? ???

Chris Eagles - funnily enough may have been for Burnley but I think maybe Watford. Half Way line ish at Withers - was on running track we were that bad then that it didn't hurt too much after an initial paddy to clap that goal...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I remember the Chris Eagles goal and applauding it. It was the only goal in a 1-0 win for Watford, where he was on loan at the time.

LOL - Didn't read the whole thread soz!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I remember celebrating a Barnet goal after we were spanking them, I even seem to remember them singing were shit and we no we are! Withers years, somewhere between 01-03.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I've applauded opposition players for goals and general good play, it's a common trait of mine so much that I do it whilst watching motd sat in my living room

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I think if that goal had been scored by the opposition against us in a game where we'd been totally outfootballed, the Amex would give a very generous round of applause. Why wouldn't you. It was an unreal goal

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Yes, definite applause - heard it on the radio at the time and in the extended highlights. It also shut Mr Angry up.

I seem to remember quite a few people applauding Oxford after they dicked us 3-0 in the FA Cup 81-82 at the Goldstone, whilst at the same time there were a few in the North Stand giving their striker Nazi salutes!! A truly awful afternoon!
I was also at that Oxford game. Worst Albion performance that I've seen. I had the good grace to applaud Oxford off the pitch at the end. Mind you , look what happened to us in the cup 12 months later!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here