Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did Burnley fans REALLY applaud CMS's wonder goal?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
See post 13 here. Quote: "What was nice to see was the amount of sporting applause in the Longside upper for CMS's goal. (Me included).
It was a lesson in finishing and a pleasure to watch. What do you think his value is?"

Did that really happen? If so, fair play to those Clarets fans.

But would an Albion crowd EVER clap a match-winning goal by an opponent at the Amex? ???

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's just like when the Nazis applauded Pele's overhead kick against them!

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
I remember the North Stand at Withdean cheering Stokes last goal in that drubbing they gave us at the end of the season a few years ago under Mcghee. Irony may have been a factor.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
You can hear a lot of the Burnley fans applaud in the extended highlights.

I've applauded a couple of opposition goals before. The last one I remember was Port Vale at home I think? Lost 3-2 and their guy volleyed in from 30 yards.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I applauded Murray's goal against us at the Amex.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This whole thread was a made up story to see if we could catch any red and blue blooded wankers.
I applauded Murray's goal against us at the Amex.
Got one!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have applauded the oppo trams goals many times in the past, mind you, I'd does have to be a very good goal to warrant it.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I remember applauding a 'forgot his name*' goal when he was playing for darlington against us at Gillingham.

* what was his name? he was too good for that division!

ended in ini or something

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I remember applauding a 'forgot his name*' goal when he was playing for darlington against us at Gillingham.

* what was his name? he was too good for that division!

ended in ini or something

Gabbiadini !!!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Marco Gabbiadini?

Ah yes, just remembered one cracker that got applause at Withdean. Chris Eagles' (when on loan from Man U to, er, who was it??) perfectly flighted chip from the halfway line that soared beyond the flailing arms of Albion's hastily retreating and aghast custodian, before absolutely whanging into the net.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ismail Demontagnac scored a belter for Walsall at Withers, that a lot of us clapped.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
You can hear a lot of the Burnley fans applaud in the extended highlights.

I've applauded a couple of opposition goals before. The last one I remember was Port Vale at home I think? Lost 3-2 and their guy volleyed in from 30 yards.

Me too, as well as Delphs and Scott Murray for Cheltenham.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
History: Not only have I cheered an opposing goal one in 1965-66 but the crowd chanted their team name. Once only.

A goal that desrved a clap was the shock of Ray Train scoring of a goal for Rochdale in 71. Two problems: the result was much too important and it was too crowded to clap anyway.

I am trying to think of goals that deserve being clapped but apart from Ray Train's I cannot remember specific goals right now.

Was this in the 1-1 draw at the Goldstone in 1971/72, to clinch promotion? What made the goal great?

D

Deleted member 18477

Real Madrid fans applauded ronaldinho when he scored a 2nd goal against them playing for Barca in a game he DOMINATED!

Now THAT is respect. Could you ever imagine a man city/utd fan applauding a rival player? Or a Celtic/ranger fan?

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Was this in the 1-1 draw at the Goldstone in 1971/72, to clinch promotion? What made the goal great?

Trap swivel and shot from a long accurate ball all in one movement. Sudden out of nothing. Unheard of at the time in the old Division 3. Ball game went in off the bar. Except I might have got the name of the scorer wrong after the passing of years.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Ismail Demontagnac scored a belter for Walsall at Withers, that a lot of us clapped.

You certainly weren't alone there Mr K. I remember him coming on as a sub & was greeted with the classic "Who?" & chortlings of "He'd better be good with a name like that!". Then my God, he unleashes an absolute stunner. Foot like a Traction Engine innit. :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here