• Go

Votes: 19 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We dont have a stadium on the way, all we have is planning permission.
The stadium is pie in the sky, until perry comes clean, speaks in English telling us where the millions are coming from.

If we can't afford the contracts of some of our top players, how the hell can we afford a multi million pound white elephant.

Get off the board, you pathetic lying fantasist.

If we can't afford the contracts of some of our top players, how the hell can we afford a multi million pound white elephant.

Because the two things are funded out of quite different pots of money.

It's like comparing household running expenses and housing costs.

The fact that you don't have enough money in your wallet to buy a luxury fruitcake doesn't mean that the Building Society is going to foreclose on your mortgage.

But once you start to borrow money to pay for a fruitcake, you are on the slippy slope towards insolvency.

So sometimes it's better to eat doughnuts, even though you fancy fruitcake.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Here we go again, after one defeat and comments from a loan player and Knight’s position is questioned again.

Knight has made mistakes and is not immune from criticism. However, over a decade (and on a tight budget), the two league titles and a play off promotion shows he knows what he is doing. Not to mention the fact Falmer has finally got the go ahead.

He might not have endless amounts of cash (few chairman do at this level) but we could do a lot worse and I am happy for him continue for the foreseeable future.

If you have the fruit cake spending a few pence could put some icing on it and turn it into a celebration cake, if that is what you want.
And if all you've got is some stale doughnuts, you probably have to throw them away. But even that doesn't make fruitcake affordable.

I LOVE fruitcake with icing, by the way. Don't we all?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
And if all you've got is some stale doughnuts, you probably have to throw them away. But even that doesn't make fruitcake affordable.

I LOVE fruitcake with icing, by the way. Don't we all?

So are you saying Savage is a fruitcake or am I taking your metaphor too literally? :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
And there's no point in buying French Fancies either...
We tried that last year only to find they unexpectedly go off :(

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
You people saying Knight should go can't be serious. We're in a position ten times what it would be if it wasn't for him,and he's under seige because he let Savage,4-goals-this-season-Savage,leave the club because he wouldn't accept what was I have been lead to believe, a very good contract.

Pathetic,just pathetic.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Knight should stay, but what I would say is this:

Dick seems to have a problem negotiating with players, you cant simply say heres my offer and I dont want any further discussions about it, he needs to tell players how much they are wanted by the club and massage their ego's a bit, blimey he only needs to give them a bit of a charm offensive once every 2 years.

We have found it hard to sign players over recent seasons when apparently we have made them very good offers.

Savage may have scored 4 goals this season but could have gone on to get another 4 and create another 10, that may have put us in the playoff picture.

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
flip me....all a bit blown out of proportion since the Millwall game, a few players feathers ruffled, DK is not stupid to let players just keep walking out of the club. The loan system works well for us and gives us the opportuniy to have some quality in the squad for a period of time such as George, Richards will never be a loss with Rents around but we need to support the young players and sort out there contracts and stability, this is where DK must step in !

D

Deleted member 2719

A local Sussex saying is "Never trust a man with a beard - apart from Dick Knight and Santa"!!

I have not heard one women say they don't like DICK!

:albion2::albion2::albion2:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Knight should stay, but what I would say is this:

Dick seems to have a problem negotiating with players, you cant simply say heres my offer and I dont want any further discussions about it, he needs to tell players how much they are wanted by the club and massage their ego's a bit, blimey he only needs to give them a bit of a charm offensive once every 2 years.

We have found it hard to sign players over recent seasons when apparently we have made them very good offers.

Savage may have scored 4 goals this season but could have gone on to get another 4 and create another 10, that may have put us in the playoff picture.

That, I suspect you'll find, is Dean Wilkins' job.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
On Savage, he's totally in the clear. He's offered him a deal, on wages that would make him one of our highest paid players. He's prepared to give him 18 months, and he's done all this 2 months before the end of his current contract. As far as I'm concerned, Bas is the twat here, not Knight. If our budget doesn't stretch to his (possibly excessive) demands, then so be it.

Regarding O'Callaghan's outburst, he's under a lot more suspicion for me. This isn't just one or two players in doubt, it's the majority of our squad. We have four players out of contract on Monday (inc. Richards from last week), and tens more in the summer. They can't all be expected to play under such uncertainty, especially when some (I'm thinking George) are our best players who we should be DESPERATE to keep. He should be making concrete attempts to tie these players down and to maintain their happiness. There's no smoke without fire as they say, and it looks to me like he's done f*** all with regards to extending loans and sorting new contracts. A BIG black mark against your name, Mr Knight.

However, in answer to the question, of course he should stay.

Quite right
Savage is, in my opinion, vastly over rated. Yes he can beat three players and tuck away a goal. Equally he can fall flat on his arse whilst attempting to beat said three players. Unfortunately the second option is more likely. If DK was willing to give him another 18 months and make him one of the highest players at the club and he was too greedy to accept it well then walk away sunshine. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be another Chris "You're not good enough for the Championship son" Iwelumo
Re GO'C I would like to keep him but it looks like he won't stay which is a hell of a pity because he is a class act. Same goes for Matt Richards. Hopefully Martot will stay. And hopefully we have already identified those players who we will be making bids for early on when the window opens to fill the positions vacated by the above named trio/quartet - or am I being silly here.
Don't worry I will answer that myself - I'm being silly !! But let's just for once hope that we don't have the transfer deadline day fury of previous years where we go for players who wouldn't come to this club in a month of Sundays and end up with nothing.
Otherwise my "Dick Knight - stay" vote may well change to "Dick Knight - bye bye"

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I assume that those people questioning Knight's ability weren't supporting the club back in 1997, when his arrival was hailed as a godsend and led to the removal of Bellotti and ultimately of Archer - two of the biggest outlaws in the history of the Albion? In those 10 years, he's fought tooth-and-nail to get the club back to Brighton and has finally seen us through to getting planning permission to a new 22,000 seater stadium that we can eventually call home. With the constraints of playing at Withdean and dealing initially with Ecovert South, finally 'improving' Withdean to make it a little more bearable and accessible... not forgetting numerous Championships and a trip to Cardiff.

People should just be a little less short-sighted and see what has been accomplished in the last 10 years with very little income - particularly the removal of Archer and Bellotti, in the days when Knight could do no wrong. He was there and willing when there weren't many others, and for that reason alone, I'm more than prepared to give him the time he needs. If we've had Falmer for a few years, are getting good attendances, and then still struggle to bring in players and renew contracts - then I'll be concerned. At the moment? Not in the slightest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here