Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight talk to us

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dave the Gaffer said:
so DK is now listening to the FFA team when deciding to sack a manager?

I thought the FFA team discussed all things Falmer and left the playing side to other parties.
The dynamics in the FFA meetings are such these are the people who would, in theory, be most loyal to the current set-up - i.e. would not want to upset the status quo.

However, as Attila posted on here, before the meeting got started, he wanted to go off-topic and give it to Dick both barrels about McGhee. Now Dick would be used to John ranting, and so could treat it appropriately. However, what was interesting, according to Lord Bracknell, was that when Attila did finish - and you have to bear in mind who was in the meeting that evening - no-one in the room disagreed. No-one.

So you are quite right, the FFA team are not there to pick the manager, but as Albion fans, they do have as much right as anyone else to voice an opinion.

It's possible that that then leads on to - how come the FFA team appear to have more clout than the rest of us? I would believe that it then boils down to this - who do you believe would be more discerning about whether a manager is doing what is wanted - the fans or the board of directors? I don't know. I also don't know if Dick sought advice when offloading Jeff Wood and Martin Hinshelwood, but it appears that some were happy to give Dick plenty of advice about McGhee...

As I said, by the sounds of things, it wasn't any one situation that appeared to lead Dick to make his decision, it was a whole number of things which built up. And as I understand it, the FFA meeting was just one of them.

At any rate, this is what I have been told by more than one person at the meeting.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Back to Ernests point though - the fact that he is living in Spain surely only worsens matters...at the moment, it's effectively Perry running the club!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Withdean Wanderer said:
Back to Ernests point though - the fact that he is living in Spain surely only worsens matters...at the moment, it's effectively Perry running the club!
He has a house in Spain which he goes to when not working, though I still see him about, implying he still spends a fair whack of time in England.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The Large One said:
He has a house in Spain which he goes to when not working, though I still see him about, implying he still spends a fair whack of time in England.

Fair enough - i had heard it was more the other way around.

Oh well, either way, it would be nice if he came out and spoke to the website or argus a bit more often.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Me and my mate were walking down George St yesterday before we got on the Lovebus :)love: ) to go to Yeovil and we saw DK who was on the phone, and he stopped talking for a few seconds to come over to us and ask if we were going to the game and wished us a good jurney!

I know it doesnt sound much but he took a few seconds out of his day to talk to us when he was clearly busy on the phone when all we did was say hi as we walked passed.

To me thats not hiding away and keeping his head down.

brighton_girl87 said:
I think Knight should either give Wilkins the job now or find a new manager. This isn’t working, as wilkins said they are 2 staff down and it needs to be sorted asap. They cant find players, manage and train the team with just 2 of them.
I have no idea what´s going on behind the scenes, or how match preparations are going. But I´m disturbed to discover that Wilkins is hoping that someone can sort things out for him.

If I had the job that he has (albeit on a temporary basis), I´d be bigging myself up, not asking for help.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
He did. That plus Bristol City, plus the FFA meeting (plus the opinions that he knew full well of some of the board) ultimately swung it.

It is comments like that, that make supporters believe rightly or wrongly, that there is an 'inner sanctum of super supporters' that are privi to everything.

I was told by one pf the promotions team that DK now lives in Spain and returns twice a week to a board meeting and to watch the match, whether or not that is true I do not know as I am not one of the privileged few.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here