Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight in today's Argus

I wonder what Dean Wilkins makes of Dick Knight moaning about how the club is run and DK's opinions on managerial sackings. I bet DK isn't half so critical of the club in his autobiography when talking about the circumstances leading up to Wendy's sacking.

Fortunately for Dick Knight's reputation, Wilkins has had the grace never to criticise Brighton subsequently.
Are you talking about the Dean Wilkins whose idea of "taking the club to the next level" was fielding 11 Sussex-born lads who had all come through the youth system? And the Chairman who had bigger ambitions than that?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Are you talking about the Dean Wilkins whose idea of "taking the club to the next level" was fielding 11 Sussex-born lads who had all come through the youth system? And the Chairman who had bigger ambitions than that?

I love Knight for what he has done for this club and he is rightly a club legend. The decision to can Wilkins and replace him with Adams was a bad move though.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Like he did when everybody down to the toilet cleaner knew what was happening at the club. Sour grapes!

The club leaks more now than it ever did. I think more people were aware of gus's likely demise, than ever knew about that of dean wilkins

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
He's got a book to sell of course he needs the headlines.

Common knowledge he and Bloom don't get on. Bloom has once again played the long game and got rid of him with little fuss.

Knight did loads for this club and that shouldn't be forgotten but he also didn't know when to let go and the club was going backwards when Bloom came in and saved the day.

As with the Poyet stuff this will be tomorrows chip papers soon enough.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

The very same. Wilkins got us to 7th with youth-teamers. That was in the real world. The same real world where our then chairman couldn't keep hold of journeymen chippy Irishmen let alone a player like Hammond who went on to captain a Premiership team. Knight may have had big ambitions but quite often he was living in cloud cuckoo land with his ever increasing ego regarding how the first team should be set up. We had no money, the worst ground and training facilities in the league and were just not in any position to have big ambitions. 7th was a brilliant achievement. And that it was done with local lads was a miracle that deserved better than the crap that Knight put Wilkins through.

It's about now that you point out that 7th place was nearer 13th than 6th and that Wendy was mentally unstable and not good enough for the Championship. Sorry for the vitriol but that's a frankly pathetic argument of yours to use against Wendy.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I love Knight for what he has done for this club and he is rightly a club legend. The decision to can Wilkins and replace him with Adams was a bad move though.

Yes it was. I say that with hindsight. I know many people on here said it at the time. And for those (still) on the board who were party to the decision, they can all repent at leisure now. The only person who didn't want it or support it wad Martin Perry.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I am not so sure of that, how many knew or know the real reasons for the suspensions f the 3 , not many I would suggest.

Given the number of people who I know who have been briefing against the 3, I suspect a fair number.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's sad that Dick feels slightly bitter about the way things have turned out at the Albion. However I can sympathise with his viewpoint as AITC was his baby and it is now being moved on from him. However it must be remembered that Dick saved this club and is in my mind the worthiest recipient of the title "Legend" that the club has ever had.

That said, I do feel with everything that has gone on in the past week Tony is finally getting the club run the way he wants it. All the various pieces are finally coming together after learning the lessons of the first two years at the Amex. We now have a grander vision of the future and the infrastructure to achieve it is finally being put in place, and I for one am very excited.

It would be a shame if this thread in particular turned into one filled with name calling and recrimination. Surely it is possible to acknowledge the achievements of the old regime whilst looking forward to our future as a potentially top-flight football club and the necessary changes required to make that happen.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yes, of course. He's a lovely chap in social circles.

So have I and I can't think that he changed into an egotistical maniac when he waked through his office doors.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Not sure why you would be so dismissive of that aim, especially when he was having some level of success.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Also, lets not kid oursleves that AITC will provide the club with an excellent non-charitable aim - identifying promising young talent in the community who may be future academy prospects.

On the basis that the charity acts as our interface with the community as grass roots level, I wouldn't be worrying too much about the clubs plans for it. It is absolutely in our interests that the charity is well received and has as large a network as possible.

The charitable arm also.continues to draw down significant public grants for skills training initiatives so as long as these remain available I would expect that part of AITC to.continue also.

Assuming it stays as a charity. It cost the club 250gbp last year. It didnt make money but then it isnt supposed to.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The very same. Wilkins got us to 7th with youth-teamers. That was in the real world. The same real world where our then chairman couldn't keep hold of journeymen chippy Irishmen let alone a player like Hammond who went on to captain a Premiership team. Knight may have had big ambitions but quite often he was living in cloud cuckoo land with his ever increasing ego regarding how the first team should be set up. We had no money, the worst ground and training facilities in the league and were just not in any position to have big ambitions. 7th was a brilliant achievement. And that it was done with local lads was a miracle that deserved better than the crap that Knight put Wilkins through.

It's about now that you point out that 7th place was nearer 13th than 6th and that Wendy was mentally unstable and not good enough for the Championship. Sorry for the vitriol but that's a frankly pathetic argument of yours to use against Wendy.

I'm glad you posted that reply it saved me the trouble of typing it, Wilkins done a damn good job as far as I'm concerned and I lost a fair bit of respect for Knight and Adams the way they shafted him.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
On the matter in hand though. I don't believe he should have given that interview today. It does nothing to enhance his reputation and only gives people the opportunity to call him bitter.

Feeling that way is one thing. Saying it is quite another.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
The Albion have moved on from being an old school boys club. My mate was a coach at the Albion up to 3 years ago and I always remember him telling me that Dick said to him 'you bring no money in to the club; be thankful you have a job'.

I have so much respect for Mr Knight, (his son is my mate) but we have to trust Mr Bloom. Why the hell would we not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here