Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Di Matteo to Chelsea as assistant

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
RDM was out of work, so would have been available for no compo, at lower wages.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Even if they did, it's pretty clear that Gus considers his days as a number 2 to be over.

Totally agree. Just interested to see whether people think Gus may have turned Chelsea down. If so, it can't have been easy and would go even further to show his commitment to the project underway here.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I honestly believe that being your own man with your own destiny at a Championship club far outweighs being someone else's lacky at a top Prem club. Why would anyone want to do that? Having said that, Di Matteo is an excellent choice for coach, proved his worth and a fans favourite, appointment will go down well..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quite surprising, this.

RDM has been a successful manager in his own right. Obviously the money will be good, but I'd have thought he would consider his No2 days were behind him. Even when Adams left us to go to Leicester as No2, it was always on the understanding he'd be taking over from Bassett the following season. Clearly this won't be the case for RDM.

If he'd have held fire till November / December, he could probably have had his pick of several Championship clubs, or a smaller Prem club to take over at, being as he's generally well thought of in the game and most were surprised at his sacking.

Shows a lack of ambition IMO.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
It says to me that they are considering grooming RdM for the main role, which can only be good news for us.

Isn't AVB younger than him though? Would understand if he was alongside Hiddink but AVB is surely a long term appointment.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Don't think anyone is a long term appointment at Chelsea! :)

Good appointment from our perspective as should further foster the links we already have. Gael Kakuta on loan anyone?

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Good appointment from our perspective as should further foster the links we already have. Gael Kakuta on loan anyone?

Or Van Aanholt, Bruma, McEachran, Mitrovic, or if we're really lucky, Bertrand or Borini?

The first thing that sprung to mind upon hearing about Di Matteo's appointment was that this could only be a good thing for us, and that hopefully we'll see a Chelsea youngster or two arriving on loan in the next couple of seasons.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Or Van Aanholt, Bruma, McEachran, Mitrovic, or if we're really lucky, Bertrand or Borini?

The first thing that sprung to mind upon hearing about Di Matteo's appointment was that this could only be a good thing for us, and that hopefully we'll see a Chelsea youngster or two arriving on loan in the next couple of seasons.

Are Di Matteo and Gus good friends then?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

'couple of seasons,'?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Quite surprising, this.

RDM has been a successful manager in his own right. Obviously the money will be good, but I'd have thought he would consider his No2 days were behind him. Even when Adams left us to go to Leicester as No2, it was always on the understanding he'd be taking over from Bassett the following season. Clearly this won't be the case for RDM.

If he'd have held fire till November / December, he could probably have had his pick of several Championship clubs, or a smaller Prem club to take over at, being as he's generally well thought of in the game and most were surprised at his sacking.

Shows a lack of ambition IMO.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a contract clause for Di Matteo to get out if he is offered a worthy Prem/Championship management job.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd be very surprised if there isn't a contract clause for Di Matteo to get out if he is offered a worthy Prem/Championship management job.

Maybe, but he won't be looking to do that any time soon I wouldn't have thought, having just got his feet under the table at the Bridge.

Whatever way you slice it, being a No2 after being a manager in your own right IS a backward step careerwise, whatever club that role may be at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here