Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Devils Dyke Railway

Apparently, it could, like, zap people and stuff....

War_Of_The_Worlds_Thunderchild_Wallpaper_mi7il.jpg

H.G. Wells did live in Rottingdean I believe around the time that the seashore railway operated and there was a theory I read somewhere, once, that the contraption may have suggested the design of the Martian Tripods in "War of the Worlds".

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The train line to Devils Dyke started as Dyke Junction, then Aldrington Halt, which is now just Aldrington.
Aldrington railway station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes the line closed in 1939, not because of the War but because of competition from the buses. You can walk a bit of the line above the A27, but sadly not the terminus station which is part of a private farm.

The original line was at one stage planned to go over or through the top of the Dyke and descend the other side off to the west towards Steyning, or alternativly steeper down back towards the main line. Would have been expensive, and closed long before Beeching. As was the branch.

For some time they used a steam railcar on the branch, made by Sentinels who also made steam road wagons.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I am saddened by the lack of local knowledge of the history of the town of which BHA is named after. :down:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
The curves of Amhurst Creasant Rowan Avenue (which had its station I believe where the Elm Drive shops are?) and then the walkable route by that pub (The Railway?) were where the train went. I think the train line went behind the road although it might be that the road was put over the train line but I could be wrong.

D

Deleted User X18H

You can still walk on the platform at Golf Club Halt if you can find it beneath the undergrowth. Also there is a deep cutting just north west of Skeleton Hovel.

D

Deleted User X18H

Yes the line closed in 1939, not because of the War but because of competition from the buses. You can walk a bit of the line above the A27, but sadly not the terminus station which is part of a private farm.

The original line was at one stage planned to go over or through the top of the Dyke and descend the other side off to the west towards Steyning, or alternativly steeper down back towards the main line. Would have been expensive, and closed long before Beeching. As was the branch.

For some time they used a steam railcar on the branch, made by Sentinels who also made steam road wagons.

You can walk at least 2 miles from Hangleton to Skeleton Hovel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here