Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

development squad

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Depends if Poyet agree's with the internet experts doesn't it. In which case I suspect the player will be told to look for another club, whether he's under contract or not.

Well yes that my question, there is no place for a player who is not second choice but is not under 20. We brought Holroyd as 'one for the future' but I doubt he will want to train with the other 16-19 year olds. As I imagine our front line will have 2 new faces, with Murray and Barnes as back up, that leaves Holroyd in the cold even if Poyet rates him.

Oct 25, 2003
the more i think about this idea the more i like it

there's been a fair number of players that have come through the ranks in the past who could've done with this at the time

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Well yes that my question, there is no place for a player who is not second choice but is not under 20. We brought Holroyd as 'one for the future' but I doubt he will want to train with the other 16-19 year olds. As I imagine our front line will have 2 new faces, with Murray and Barnes as back up, that leaves Holroyd in the cold even if Poyet rates him.

Well he won't be in the development squad, if he's not in the first team squad he'll be in the reserve team. Who knows if Murray and Barnes will even be around next season? I'm pretty confident Holroyd will be around next season and a part of the first team squad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is anyone else a little scared by the level of professionalism coming from the club and Gus.

I don't think I've ever seen this here. (it would be interesting to know who else has such a policy). Managers come, say the same old cliches, & then go.

This feels so much different, so positive, so exciting, and as I said, a little scary.

God I hope we start well next season.
I'd hate for the morons, of which I have been one in the dark ages, screw it all up for us, before Gus' vision really takes off.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
It is all good from the point of view that Gus is here to create a football club with vision & depth which means that he plans on being here for a very long time because this doesn't happen overnight. His vision is being supported by a chairman who also has the clubs best interests as well as his investment at heart. We could go on from here & be a leading light in player development therefore getting better youngsters as their guardians will want them to be at a club that brings out their full potential. We are moving forward & rebuilding to be the flair club of the south if not of England. Lots of homegrown players means lots of transfer cash coming in not going out which puts us in a great position.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well he won't be in the development squad, if he's not in the first team squad he'll be in the reserve team. Who knows if Murray and Barnes will even be around next season? I'm pretty confident Holroyd will be around next season and a part of the first team squad.

But is it not the development squad playing the reserves game from how I read it?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
But is it not the development squad playing the reserves game from how I read it?

I'm guessing this quote means the development squad is in addition to the reserve team:

“I cannot take into the squad players that are not ready, because the difference is massive. That in-between group, still with a reserve team, is going to be very important for the future of the club.”

However, the reserves is often a mix of fringe players and youth team players anyway.

I don't think the point of this is so much to do with who plays in what games. I'd have thought it was more a case of having training sessions seperate to the first team squad, under the guidance of a coach who could report to Gus on the players development.

As currently the first year pros are put into the first team squad and generally out of their depth and struggling.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Is anyone else a little scared by the level of professionalism coming from the club and Gus.

I don't think I've ever seen this here. (it would be interesting to know who else has such a policy). Managers come, say the same old cliches, & then go.

This feels so much different, so positive, so exciting, and as I said, a little scary.

God I hope we start well next season.
I'd hate for the morons, of which I have been one in the dark ages, screw it all up for us, before Gus' vision really takes off.

Its great to see Gus rubber stamp this initiative.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tony Bloom had asked the view of the current youth coaching staff, as well as Gus what they felt would help in their quest to develop our youngsters.

I think when there is such a significant financial commitment from TB it focuses the minds somewhat.

Bloom realises that he cannot continue to exclusively throw big money at players that do not guarantee playing success, and maybe recognises the importance of developing youngsters.

The youth coaching staff probably feel a little bit of pressure to bring youngsters through and maybe are more accountable than ever.

It is called professionalism, its not quite as comfy as it was, but already a good initiative has been born from it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here