Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Despite our current fantastic form, four games do not make a good manager.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
I cannot believe that some people do not think that RS has earnt his chance - what more must he do? This man has turned our club around as we were sleepwalking into league 2. In my eyes he is a hero and I hope that he is given a good contract - he took Yeovil to the play offs with hardly any resources and is sorely missed - what could he do with backing?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
These words are not mine, they are by "YTFC Scratch", a journalist and Yeovil STH on their website on February 15:

Despite our current fantastic form, four games do not make a good manager. Let's face it, we have only won 12 of 37 home games since that run to the play-off final, a poor record at any level.

The context of this quote is within this:

Yeovil Town - Russell Slade - Should He Stay or Go?

where the cases for Slade going or staying are made in their most vigorous way, neither of which may wholly reflect the writer's views.

macedonian sausage

Mar 3, 2009
steve gritt had to endure taking his team to gillingham after the euphoria of the last days of the goldstone, he was also forced to sell his three best players (mcdonald, baird and a.n.other) and in my opinion should have been given more time. It would be an absolute travesty if slade is not given a minimum 2 year contract with the full support of ALL of the board.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
These words are not mine, they are by "YTFC Scratch", a journalist and Yeovil STH on their website on February 15:

Despite our current fantastic form, four games do not make a good manager. Let's face it, we have only won 12 of 37 home games since that run to the play-off final, a poor record at any level.

Don't get me wrong, four wins out of the last five games is a fantastic turnaround, and whilst we are all basking in its effect this evening, it should be remembered that Yeovil fans were enjoying a similar experience when reaching the play-off final.
So, what if the same happens at Withdean i.e. we are still near the bottom come November? We will have another manager to pay off. I think we should offer Mr Slade a 6 month contract right now, but have written into it that a more lucrative and lengthy one whould be forthcoming if we have achieved a certain position at that time.
With the losses the club is currently making, I believe that caution and prudence are the way forward.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's just like dating a lady. Right now, it's the honeymoon period. Let's not ruin everything with a shotgun wedding.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Stop trying to devalue Russell Slade's achievements. Any win against a half-decent team is lessened in your eyes because "we only got results against teams that realistically had nothing to play for." Why can't the meaning be "We beat a team X places above us in the league"? Teams that are higher up don't necessarily switch off because they 'realistically had nothing to play for' - and that's one of the reasons why they are higher up - they play with skill and determination anyway.
Alternatively, the reason they are in mid table is because they are inconsistent and average. I didn't go to Colchester, Huddersfield, or Bristol Rovers, but based on Oldham and Stockport while these teams weren't exactly on the beach, they were just lacking maybe 5% because they didn't NEED the points as we did. That is not to say that these matches were forgone conclusions or that our run of form has not been a credit to the manager.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Alternatively, the reason they are in mid table is because they are inconsistent and average. I didn't go to Colchester, Huddersfield, or Bristol Rovers, but based on Oldham and Stockport while these teams weren't exactly on the beach, they were just lacking maybe 5% because they didn't NEED the points as we did. That is not to say that these matches were forgone conclusions or that our run of form has not been a credit to the manager.

Bristol Rovers and Huddersfield certainly didn't seem to lack that 5% although I think Colchester probably did. The way I see it is that three weeks ago people were saying we have mid table teams to beat and the pessimists (probably the majority) were saying we haven't looked like putting together a run like that all season. Now we have, I think we should just congratulate Slade on the turnaround rather than saying that it was against teams who weren't quite at their best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here