Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Despite our current fantastic form, four games do not make a good manager.

These words are not mine, they are by "YTFC Scratch", a journalist and Yeovil STH on their website on February 15:

Despite our current fantastic form, four games do not make a good manager. Let's face it, we have only won 12 of 37 home games since that run to the play-off final, a poor record at any level.

Don't get me wrong, four wins out of the last five games is a fantastic turnaround, and whilst we are all basking in its effect this evening, it should be remembered that Yeovil fans were enjoying a similar experience when reaching the play-off final.
So, what if the same happens at Withdean i.e. we are still near the bottom come November? We will have another manager to pay off. I think we should offer Mr Slade a 6 month contract right now, but have written into it that a more lucrative and lengthy one whould be forthcoming if we have achieved a certain position at that time.
With the losses the club is currently making, I believe that caution and prudence are the way forward.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Slade is hot material now. To get out of jail 8 points behind safety with 8 games left to play means his stock is very high now. He will have offers and its more if Slade wants to join us than the other way around.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The cautious and prudent thing to do is give Slade a decent length contract so we aren't in a position of maybe trying to find another new manager at Christmas and then having to sign some new players for that new manager.

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
just give him a massive bank-breaking contract if you ask me! I'm more than happy with Slade!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What about our last 7 games, 5 of which were wins, only one of which was a draw?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"Despite our current fantastic form, four games do not make a good manager."

No, but our record over the last seven or eight games is a good place to start from!

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
BURN HIM!

Misc-Burn_him.jpg

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
personally would give him a 1 year rolling deal guarantee of another year if we finish top 10 (or maybe even higher) just in case it all goes wrong but I faith it wouldn't

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What are the credentials of YTFC Scratch, anyway? What currency do they hold?

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Euphoria versus rationality

Are we not getting a little carried away with the whole RS thing, of the last 10 games we only got results against teams that realistically had nothing to play for, so our need was greater than there's and there minds were probably already on securing a contract for next season.

My point is history repeating itself? Steve Grit was the savior, when he saved us from the drop, then look what happened the following season. I realise that RS does have a proven track record and may be the blessing we are looking for, but 10 matches at the end of a season when a lot of teams have nothing to play for is much different from a new campaign when everyone believes they have the chance of glory.

I really hope that RS is the man and look forward to a much better 2009/10 season, but for now yyyyeeeeeeessssssss!!!!!!!

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
These words are not mine, they are by "YTFC Scratch", a journalist and Yeovil STH on their website on February 15:

Despite our current fantastic form, four games do not make a good manager. Let's face it, we have only won 12 of 37 home games since that run to the play-off final, a poor record at any level.

Don't get me wrong, four wins out of the last five games is a fantastic turnaround, and whilst we are all basking in its effect this evening, it should be remembered that Yeovil fans were enjoying a similar experience when reaching the play-off final.
So, what if the same happens at Withdean i.e. we are still near the bottom come November? We will have another manager to pay off. I think we should offer Mr Slade a 6 month contract right now, but have written into it that a more lucrative and lengthy one whould be forthcoming if we have achieved a certain position at that time.
With the losses the club is currently making, I believe that caution and prudence are the way forward.

:tosser::salute: f*** OFF TWAT.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
With the losses the club are currently making, we should be thankful just to have one to support.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Are we not getting a little carried away with the whole RS thing, of the last 10 games we only got results against teams that realistically had nothing to play for, so our need was greater than there's and there minds were probably already on securing a contract for next season.

My point is history repeating itself? Steve Grit was the savior, when he saved us from the drop, then look what happened the following season. I realise that RS does have a proven track record and may be the blessing we are looking for, but 10 matches at the end of a season when a lot of teams have nothing to play for is much different from a new campaign when everyone believes they have the chance of glory.

I really hope that RS is the man and look forward to a much better 2009/10 season, but for now yyyyeeeeeeessssssss!!!!!!!

Stop trying to devalue Russell Slade's achievements. Any win against a half-decent team is lessened in your eyes because "we only got results against teams that realistically had nothing to play for." Why can't the meaning be "We beat a team X places above us in the league"? Teams that are higher up don't necessarily switch off because they 'realistically had nothing to play for' - and that's one of the reasons why they are higher up - they play with skill and determination anyway. The comparison between Steve Gritt and Russell Slade is tenuous. Beyond the fact they have both guided the Albion out of relegation (which McGhee and Mullery'81 have also done) - what is it based on? Are they similar as people, managers, in tactics, what?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Looks like we have a new Withdean Wanderer.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
'of the last 10 games we only got results against teams that realistically had nothing to play for'

Well that's as maybe but that same rationale would have applied to most of the teams in the drop zone with us and they didn't make the best of it in the way that we did. It's a bit of a thin argument to do down Slade's achievement.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Apart from his achievement in keeping us up, I think the way he turned the team into a team of believers, individuals into the players we knew could do it, warrants huge applause. He inherited a complete mess of a side, free falling into div2, and turned them round.
I don't know what he installed in the team. Think of the way Cox was playing prior to Slade.And what a revelation OGH has been.
We like him, the players obviously like him, his PR is brilliant.

For me he must get the job.

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
You will never Know how far Slade can take this club unles he is given a chance. If the club manages to bring in A BIG name who is currently out of a job that person will only be using the BHA to get back into football and then when a bigger club comes calling it's back to looking for another new manager Slade was not DK's first,second or third choise but not to give him a chance to take The Albion forward on his own terms and given a decent new player budget after what he has recently achieved seems daft to me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here