Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

derelict land by brighton station

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
So if Falmer is rejected (god Forbid) do we all start campaigning for waterhall?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ditchy said:
So if Falmer is rejected (god Forbid) do we all start campaigning for waterhall?

Only if you know any multi millionnaires who have the cash to invest in all the legal fees all over again.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That derelict land is being developed into housing. The firm my Dad works for is developing it into one of those loft flat/social housing jobs that Charles Hoile so hates.

In Dr Anthony Seldon's (headmaster of Brighton College) book of 2002 'Brave New City: Brighton & Hove, Past, Present & Future', he divides the history of the now city into nine eras:

1. The Fishing Era: Saxons - 1730s
2. The Seaside Resort Era: 1730s - 1780s
3. The Regency Era: 1780s - 1830s
4. The Railway Era: 1840s - 1860s
5. The Gaiety Era: 1870s - 1910s
6. The Suburban Era: 1910s - 1940s
7. The Locust Years: 1950s - 1980s
8. The City Era: 1980s - today
9. The Birth of the International City: the future...

Obviously, the last three in this list are the most relevant to now. He describes how some awful buildings, and bent and corrupt politicians pre- and post-war allowed the towns to become concrete jungles (e.g. Churchill Square, Hove Town Hall).

In the City Era, he describes how today Brighton & Hove is one buzzing city, bursting out at the edges, thriving on the Bohemian culture, the gay (in every sense of the word) lifestyle, and the forward thinking view of many of its inhabitants.

Quote: "The period's greatest achievement, however, is intangible: a sense of optimism and momentum. A vision arose of a City of Culture in 2008. In the same year [2002], fittingly, Brighton & Hove Albion, in the doldrums during the 1990s, were promoted to the First Divsion of the football league - and no greater source of local communal pride exists than the Albion.

"But this era only laid the foundations for what needs to happen in the future... The conservation movement, so vital in the Locust Years, has now shown signs of becoming a reactionary force, hampering the city's progress... The next few years will be critical. Brighton must make strides towards entering its ninth era; the International City..."

His vision for the International City includes a new international airport at Shoreham, an integrated transport system, 10,000 new homes (mainly built on Hollingbury golf course), a pedestrianised seafront (with traffic going underground), and - wait for it - a new football stadium (albeit, he strongly recommends Braepool, and the stadium to be 40,000).

The reason for bringing this up, apart from the fact it is an interesting book, is that a new stadium is part of the greater community. Without it, the book is implying (although without actually saying it), is that Brighton & Hove can never hope to grow as a major city if it has no stadium. It's not just the football club that will wither, it's the prosperity of the entire metropolitan area. With the stadium, Brighton & Hove has the potential to match Nice, Barcelona and Bilbao as major a international seaside city. Many other elements are in place. A modern sports facility must be high on the list of priorities.

No mention of Pende, though.

perseus said:
Newcastle want to move their stadium to the outside of town. On the moors which are protected like the South Downs.

Apparently hemmed in by the sea and the moors they have not got enough room in the city itself. Sounds familiar?
Mr Wrong gets it wrong again. The plan was for a stadium on the Town Moor, which is hardly "the outside of town". It's within walking distance of the City Centre. I suppose the Brighton equivalent would be the Level, although I'll concede that the Town Moor is bigger.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Row Z Creased Shirt said:
Unfortunately I feel the station site would be impractical, simply because non-rail access would be a nightmare.

I've probably read a dumber statement sometime on NSC but off-hand I can't think of a single one... :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :lolol:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
That derelict land is being developed into housing. The firm my Dad works for is developing it into one of those loft flat/social housing jobs that Charles Hoile so hates.

In Dr Anthony Seldon's (headmaster of Brighton College) book of 2002 'Brave New City: Brighton & Hove, Past, Present & Future', he divides the history of the now city into nine eras:

1. The Fishing Era: Saxons - 1730s
2. The Seaside Resort Era: 1730s - 1780s
3. The Regency Era: 1780s - 1830s
4. The Railway Era: 1840s - 1860s
5. The Gaiety Era: 1870s - 1910s
6. The Suburban Era: 1910s - 1940s
7. The Locust Years: 1950s - 1980s
8. The City Era: 1980s - today
9. The Birth of the International City: the future...

Obviously, the last three in this list are the most relevant to now. He describes how some awful buildings, and bent and corrupt politicians pre- and post-war allowed the towns to become concrete jungles (e.g. Churchill Square, Hove Town Hall).

In the City Era, he describes how today Brighton & Hove is one buzzing city, bursting out at the edges, thriving on the Bohemian culture, the gay (in every sense of the word) lifestyle, and the forward thinking view of many of its inhabitants.

Quote: "The period's greatest achievement, however, is intangible: a sense of optimism and momentum. A vision arose of a City of Culture in 2008. In the same year [2002], fittingly, Brighton & Hove Albion, in the doldrums during the 1990s, were promoted to the First Divsion of the football league - and no greater source of local communal pride exists than the Albion.

"But this era only laid the foundations for what needs to happen in the future... The conservation movement, so vital in the Locust Years, has now shown signs of becoming a reactionary force, hampering the city's progress... The next few years will be critical. Brighton must make strides towards entering its ninth era; the International City..."

His vision for the International City includes a new international airport at Shoreham, an integrated transport system, 10,000 new homes (mainly built on Hollingbury golf course), a pedestrianised seafront (with traffic going underground), and - wait for it - a new football stadium (albeit, he strongly recommends Braepool, and the stadium to be 40,000).

The reason for bringing this up, apart from the fact it is an interesting book, is that a new stadium is part of the greater community. Without it, the book is implying (although without actually saying it), is that Brighton & Hove can never hope to grow as a major city if it has no stadium. It's not just the football club that will wither, it's the prosperity of the entire metropolitan area. With the stadium, Brighton & Hove has the potential to match Nice, Barcelona and Bilbao as major a international seaside city. Many other elements are in place. A modern sports facility must be high on the list of priorities.

No mention of Pende, though.

it is an interesting book, he has a good vision, I wish he commanded more authority though.

do you think your dad could let me through to get on the bridge?lol

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Row Z Creased Shirt
Unfortunately I feel the station site would be impractical, simply because non-rail access would be a nightmare.

Tom Hark said:
I've probably read a dumber statement sometime on NSC but off-hand I can't think of a single one... :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :lolol:

Surely somebody else must have siad something dumber than that.
Oh the ignominy!:dunce:

What I meant in a rather clumsy way was that traffic would be a major problem, maybe I should just stop digging.

However as a local resident, I would much prefer a community stadium there than another sainsbury's.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Row Z Creased Shirt said:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Row Z Creased Shirt

Surely somebody else must have siad something dumber than that.
Oh the ignominy!:dunce:

What I meant in a rather clumsy way was that traffic would be a major problem, maybe I should just stop digging.

Uh, apologies, Row Z, over-reaction on my part aye? I just think that non-rail access would be no better & no worse than any other non-rail access to Brighton city centre on any normal Saturday. Reckon it would be absolutely brilliant having the stadium slap bang in the middle of town, what with a two minute walk to the ground from the Nelson or the Evening Star an'all - but I guess we're all agreed it's never going to happen eh?

Tom Hark said:
Uh, apologies, Row Z, over-reaction on my part aye? I just think that non-rail access would be no better & no worse than any other non-rail access to Brighton city centre on any normal Saturday. Reckon it would be absolutely brilliant having the stadium slap bang in the middle of town, what with a two minute walk to the ground from the Nelson or the Evening Star an'all - but I guess we're all agreed it's never going to happen eh?

Totally agreed Tom. I think it's a shame the station option wasn't explored in more detail. Maybe they could have had a park and ride at Falmer!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I could have talked about this better, we did a project on the brighton station site in geography in year 9(2 years ago for me), but by then I'd decided I was dropping geography so I didnt really put alot of effort or thought into it:jester:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I went to a talk by Dr Antony Selden.

Two points of note (the first is an opinion);

1) I thought he was an outrageous snob, and roughly translated he lived in a big house with a garden (I do not know if he does) and all the plebs can live in high-rise apartments. His ideas did not seem to be as much original as copied from a mix-match of ideas copied from the latest fashion.

2) He considered that a new stadium for Brighton & Hove Albion was of upmost importance. No question about it. He would not be drawn on the location. He was not a fierce advocate of Falmer but the talk was about a year ago.

Third point:

To his credit, he wanted to move the goalposts with attitudes. With this point I agreed with him.

The talk was not in Brighton so it did really go down particularly well. In fact, it was agreed amongst some people that it was the worst talk they had heard. Most of it did not make sense. It did not seem to have a common thread. It was like he was preaching to school children instead of adults.

The history of Brighton bit was OK.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here