Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derek Chapman has a swipe at DK

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
As an 'Ad Man' Dick will know all about a campaign. It's never just one shot but a series of events to capture and keep the interest focused on the item you're selling. So, the leaks about the club stocking the book were just step toward that goal. I haven't gone back to check but did he actually say the club refused to sell the book or did we all assume that was the case?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Derek Chapman refers to Ray Bloom's comments on DK's book published in the Argus on Friday. Could someone please post those comments or a scan? They are not on the online version of the Argus, and it's quite hard to get a hard copy in Cambridge!

Thanks in advance...!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely it all depends on how the money was 'given' in the first place.

Nobody stumps up cash to a football club and expects a dividend from the profits.

I doubt Dick handed over any cash saying 'and I want it back in 10 to 15 years time'.
It would seem the root of all evil strikes again.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
DK was very lucky to get 400k; he is not coming out of this very well at the moment. Ungrateful.

Out of interest does dk actually go to games any more ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You can't help but say this is all fascinating stuff. And this is what many of us not close to the Club assumed:

Anyway, my take on all this is that when people say that Dick saved the club in 1997 and Tony built the stadium, they are wrong. Dick saved the club in 1997, Tony saved the club in 2005 – and then Tony built the stadium!

We have been very fortunate with our directors. Including Derek Chapman.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If the club was worth money, then all those that had invested should have expected some back. But the club wasn't worth anything - the shares were worthless, and the owners (most of them) were happy to let them go for free to someone that was going to invest crazy amounts of money into the club. Most who put money into the club, were making gifts - they were not expecting it back. To ask for it back, when in no real position to do so, is a bit surprising.

I don't understand this argument - just because you are putting money into a loss making enterprise in an attempt to save it from going under and then an "angel" appears to take over the rescue this somehow disqualifies you from wanting some of what you have put into it back.

It is claimed that BHAFC wasn't worth anything - it was "worth" far more than if it didn't exist.

Will we be critical if TB at some time in the future takes some of the money he has ploughed into the club in such a way that it doesn't threaten the club's future but actually enhances it? Maybe we should tell TB to remove the millions that are in the "Loan Account" and convert this to a gift to the club.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So DK expected his money back, does that mean all those who contributed to the 40 Note fund, for example, should try and get their money back now

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think the thread title is fair.
I think it's very fair and I think it's entirely justified too.

We were at Withdean for over a decade and in that time the club was a money pit. I was always eternally grateful that the half dozen or so members of the board were stumping up to keep the club afloat. Any glory or hero worshipping in their direction was richly deserved.

So the question is: was he doing it out of the goodness of his own heart and the glory, or was he just another investor expecting a return at some point?

The book doesn't take a swipe at the club and DC isn't taking a swipe at DK. The Argus are stirring things up.
Of course he is FFS. He is expressing "amazement" at the fact that Knight wanted his money back, with the insinuation that he had taken control of the club and poured money in without expecting a return on that "investment".

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Now the truth is coming out about Dick Tight it doesn't make pleasant reading for those who felt he walked on water
The way this is playing out in the media and books and so on is messing with my head.

The fact is that Knight initially poured money into the club without expectation of recouping it. Chapman is suggesting that Bloom's arrival should have seen Knight get some of his money back. I'm not sure why, how much was poured in by whom and who did what, but it's horrible seeing all this come out.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
DC says at the end of the story "Anyway, I do wish Dick good luck with his book. Like most lifelong Albion fans, I’m sure I will buy a copy! "

Maybe he should have read the book first before defending what doesn't really need defending?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here