Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derek Chapman has a swipe at DK

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There doesn't appear to be in anything in DC's statement that contradicts anything DK wrote in the book? ???

What I don't understand is the last bit

". . . the club was not allowed to see the book in advance; neither the club nor its other shareholders were aware of Dick’s plan to sell his shares before last Wednesday’s Argus article; the club was not asked to stage a launch for the book at the Amex; and the club has never been contacted about stocking Dick’s book in its stores. "

If no request was made for the club's help to sell the book then it's hardly surprising they weren't offered, (why the word "allowed"), a preview of the book.

Common courtesy I would have thought?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This bears repeating but I suspect a lot of posters on Nsc want there to be something controversial so that they can pick it to pieces.

It's like a soap opera on here.

Yes and you're equally boring by being the exact opposite with your feeble Chemical Ali routine. "Nothing to see here" when there quite BLATANTLY is a discussion point at the very least.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes and you're equally boring by being the exact opposite with your feeble Chemical Ali routine. "Nothing to see here" when there quite BLATANTLY is a discussion point at the very least.

I like boring. It upsets you and others.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
At no point in the book did I read Dick Knight accusing Derek Chapman of profiting on any Albion-linked projects.

Not sure who that part of The Argus story is aimed at. Certainly not Dick Knight. Although, of course, having admitted to not actually reading the book, Chapman might have his wires crossed. Or he might just be using the platform to set a few things straight, which is, of course, useful. But it does not mean the rebuttals are aimed in Knight's direction.

Seems to be lots of people on here jumping on what people THINK Dick Knight has written or is saying or suggesting, without having actually read the book to find out what he actually does say.

Probably the accusations on NSC some time back. I think the word 'trousering' was used on this board to describe how Chapman made a profit from the AMEX construction. Fair play that he's publicly putting the record straight.

Post #25 :
http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?281803-Dick-Knight/page2

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I like boring. It upsets you and others.
You can be as boring as you like, I don't care.

What does irritate me is your annoying predisposition of dampening any sort of debate by belittling people who raise discussion points because senior figures at the club past and present are squabbling. Not all of us are satisfied by a happy clappy fudge and want to know a bit more. If you don't like it, stay off the thread.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The most interesting part of all that for me is this:

Basically sounds like Bloom was propping the club up but Knight was still running it as a dictatorship, losing the plot with decisions like replacing Wilkins with Adams to the point where the board said enough is enough.

Confirmation of what a fair few of us suspected I imagine.

Spot on. Dick is a legend - he (with the help of many, many others) saved the club: for that, he has my eternal gratitude. However, this does not mean that he didn't outstay his welcome as chairman. He is just looking like a bitter old man taking swipes from the side-lines. Tony, for all he has done, deserves our eternal gratitude as well; not snide digs from his predecessor.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Quotes from Derek Chapman's comment piece:

"I think I’m well placed to make a few observations on the book’s content."

"Anyway, I do wish Dick good luck with his book. Like most lifelong Albion fans, I’m sure I will buy a copy!"

So it sounds like he hasn't read it then. Just the sensational, headline-grabbing, context-lacking bits reproduced elsewhere. Probably not THAT well placed to comment on its content then.

And I am by no means anti-Chapman. I just think it would have been more useful to read his thoughts, observations etc once he had actually read the book. I am sure there are lots of interesting and revealing observations he would have to make but without having actually seen ALL of what Knight had to say it sort of lacks a bit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spot on. Dick is a legend - he (with the help of many, many others) saved the club: for that, he has my eternal gratitude. However, this does not mean that he didn't outstay his welcome as chairman. He is just looking like a bitter old man taking swipes from the side-lines. Tony, for all he has done, deserves our eternal gratitude as well; not snide digs from his predecessor.

Have you read the book?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The board of directors backed Knight's decision to sack Dean Wilkins with one exception, which was Martin Perry.

Hmmm. DC seems to be indicating otherwise.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can be as boring as you like, I don't care.

What does irritate me is your annoying predisposition of dampening any sort of debate by belittling people who raise discussion points because senior figures at the club past and present are squabbling. Not all of us are satisfied by a happy clappy fudge and want to know a bit more. If you don't like it, stay off the thread.

Are you saying I am not entitled to an opinion? Ok then. For what it's worth, I have already read the book.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Do you really find that odd? Don't you think that if you are pumping vast amounts of money into a project then the least you could expect is some discussion about major decisions, eg sacking the manager, appointing new managers etc etc.

Had I made a conscious decision not to be a director - but I was happy with those running it - I would let them get on with it. Which sounds like it is TB's style. On major decsions it may be welcome to get consulted - but DC did not specify major decisions. He says "some". Anyway not a major point.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Funny how when Dick Tight was chairman he ran it like it was his own personal club to do how he pleased but then when he was kicked out he squeals about not having one person control the club

Hypocritical in the extreme.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Horrible ? Fascinating more like.

These are all grown-ups with broad shoulders.

I agree. I really don't understand why some folk would be having a panic over the 'revelations' of DK's book; & the debate it has already sparked. Shirley it's better to have knowledge of the various Boardroom shennanigans to formulate your own considered opinion of the people who run - & indeed ran - our football club?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't understand ???

Are you suggesting that everyone and every organisation mentioned in the book should have had a preview out of courtesy?

Creaky, you need to take a chill pill!

I keep seeing you bickering with people, NSC is much more enjoyable if you make your post's represent your opinion rather than just an all out argument (which I've been guilty of at the start)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I am not sure what the problem was here. If TB has wanted to be a director - I am sure he could have been. If he was happy not to be, and allow DK to keep running it - why would he want consultation on all decisions ?

Just sounds a little odd.

Dick was outstaying his welcome as chairman. Hanging on when he shouldn't have been. Tony tolerated the situation for too long. He who pays the piper calls the tune. Dick and his cronies would do well to remember that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dick was outstaying his welcome as chairman. Hanging on when he shouldn't have been. Tony tolerated the situation for too long. He who pays the piper calls the tune. Dick and his cronies would do well to remember that.

Tony Bloom didn't want to take over until the planning permission had been settled. Once that was sorted, he stepped up.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You are missing the point. He's putting into context, his bemusement / distaste at DK's stance, by making clear that he and others in the same situation, saw things very differently. Had he not added the Adenstar bit, I can absolutely guarantee that somebody on here would have countered that it was 'easy for DC not to want cash back for his shares, when he's trousered millions from the construction projects'. Such things have been written on here many, many times. Good for him, for setting that particular record straight.

Spot on. DC didn't actually say it was DK accusing him of profiteering, but hey ho, the 'Dick can do no wrong' brigade jumped on it anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here