Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Derek Acorah RIP.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Weird timing as I was watching this last night on YouTube and thought about Derek Acorah and how this guy was clearly trying to follow in his footsteps. Pretty old now but worth a look if you have some time to spare and want to see how these 'mediums' operate.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Much as I respect where you are coming from in that everyome is entitled to their beliefs, what this man did was fleece people for money and fool people, even if you believe in mediums and the like it’s patently obvious this man made a career out of conning people, many of whom are at a very vulnerable point in their lives having just lost loved ones, it may provide comfort to some but that doesn’t make it right.

Well said. Exactly.

Nobody is criticising anyone’s beliefs, but those who take advantage of other people’s to extract money from them (mediums). You can believe whatever you want to, but taking advantage of a grieving human being is despicable.

Quite a few have exposed these charlatans down the years, the most recently I enjoyed was Darren Brown, who demonstrated how it could be done. In short it’s confidence tricks and cold reading with a combination of research tricks ahead of time.

I would just like to say I’m super impressed at the overall response here to this topic from NSC. Restores my faith in humanity a bit.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
WhingForPresident;919464 0 said:
Weird timing as I was watching this last night on YouTube and thought about Derek Acorah and how this guy was clearly trying to follow in his footsteps. Pretty old now but worth a look if you have some time to spare and want to see how these 'mediums' operate.

Equally weird timing that I also mentioned Darren Brown as you were posting this. Spooky!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I know several people who have had some sort of interaction with people who have died. People sitting at the end of their bed, being the most common. My grandfather's parents owned a restaurant in Brighton, and his stepfather was a violent man who would throw plates etc at his mother. Many years later there was an article in the Argus about plates flying across the room of a house (the restaurant had been converted). My grandfather wrote in to explain this.

Not everything can be explained by science.

It also annoys me how people on here dismiss other people's religious beliefs. I understand that many people are non-believers, but respect those that have a faith. Accept that others see things differently.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No, you may know several people who believe they have had some interaction, or you may know some people that know you are a sucker for ghost stories. Don't get upset that people don't believe, we still love you, just don't want you giving money to a con man.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
No, you may know several people who believe they have had some interaction, or you may know some people that know you are a sucker for ghost stories. Don't get upset that people don't believe, we still love you, just don't want you giving money to a con man.
This sums it up. I don't believe it happened, so I will say you or they are imagining things. Typical.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Thought it was some Ghanian footballer when I saw the topic. Luckily it wasn't.

On the topic of ghosts, communicating with the dead etc... who knows. Humans are nothing in the seemingly endless universe. We know nothing. Our minds and senses are very limited. Try to imagine a colour that doesn't exist. It's impossible, but that doesn't mean there aren't any other colours in the whole universe. Same could be with ghosts or whatever - for all we know there could be living dead everywhere all the time, we just can't see or measure their presence.

It's sort of like with atheism (And I say this as an agnostic), stating it as a fact that there is no God is every bit as fundamentalists as saying there is one. It's a fat ****ing self-overevaluation to think we know jack shit about the mechanisms of the universe.
Well said! [emoji106]

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
James Randi on Psychic Fraud

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I could do with a clairvoyant to try and find out when the next southbound train might appear! 3 been cancelled so far. Gonna miss the start of the match. Grrrrrrr.

a really good medium could also have told you that the match was going to be sh1te and that you shouldn’t waste a moment longer trying to get to the Amex

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Thought it was some Ghanian footballer when I saw the topic. Luckily it wasn't.

On the topic of ghosts, communicating with the dead etc... who knows. Humans are nothing in the seemingly endless universe. We know nothing. Our minds and senses are very limited. Try to imagine a colour that doesn't exist. It's impossible, but that doesn't mean there aren't any other colours in the whole universe. Same could be with ghosts or whatever - for all we know there could be living dead everywhere all the time, we just can't see or measure their presence.

It's sort of like with atheism (And I say this as an agnostic), stating it as a fact that there is no God is every bit as fundamentalists as saying there is one. It's a fat ****ing self-overevaluation to think we know jack shit about the mechanisms of the universe.

As an atheist, who is respectful of other people’s beliefs, I would challenge your definition of atheist. Atheists do not say that they know there is no god they say that they have no reason to believe that there is. The key thing here is belief and not knowledge. The most ardent follower of a faith has strong belief but can never have knowledge. If they had knowledge there would be no need for faith which is kind of the whole point.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This sums it up. I don't believe it happened, so I will say you or they are imagining things. Typical.

You said someone sitting on the end of the bed was the typical way people saw dead people, there is probably a reason that its on the end of the bed rather than sitting on the sofa. You are right, I don't believe it, I believe they imagined it or are making it up. I know a bit about hypnosis, sleep disorders, grief and suggestibility, just because it felt real does not mean it was real, imagination can be very powerful. I have seen girls that weigh 4 stone and believe they are fat, they are certain of it.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I trawled through loads of James Randi you tube clips a couple of years ago... They are hilarious and he holds no punches when debunking these fraudsters.

He's great and reminds me of Father Christmas, which is ironic. He doesn't like the word debunking but prefers investigating.

I recommend An Honest Liar, if you can get your hands on it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here