Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I just reread his BHAFC article from last Feb when he joined.

"rejected by Werder Bremen at 14, and at 17 earning £120 a week as a semi-pro in the German fourth tier while working eight-hour days in a factory."

Great to see how far he's come.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think he's great – never gives up, always tries to make things happen (even if they don't) and seems a well-liked player in the squad. Eight goals in a PL season is certainly not shabby, either.

Let's not forget that he had some personal issues around the time of his fallow/frustrating period, too. Sure, there's plenty of room for improvement in his overall game, but given that there has already BEEN an improvement over the course of the season, I'm excited to see what he'll be like after an RDZ pre-season.

When he first came, I was a bit of a sceptic due to his poor first touch, positioning and lack of contribution compared to Mitoma who started off like a rocket. Unfair comparison in hindsight.

But some brilliant coaching and dedication on his part has given him that need X Factor which has improved his game dramatically: confidence.

He really is a confidence player. RDZ putting his arm around him, building him up, a couple of goals and assists, then suddenly he looks completely different. Don't think he'll ever be in Ferguson's class but that's no insult, not many will.

He was absolutely loving it when we were signing the Undav song when warming up vs Stains. Really gives him a boost and he gives that bit extra on the pitch as a result IMO.
Every striker (even the very best)thrive on confidence. The very fact Deniz wanted to stay and fight for his place when he could of gone on loan back in January, is testament to him and again, the right attitude as opposed to throwing toys out of pram! Well done to him👏👏 He reminds me of a Neil Maupay but, a huge upgrade!

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Undav certainly knows where the goal is, but for a team who rely on possession, does a player with such a poor first touch fit the philosophy?

His positional play is also an issue, but that can be coached. His first touch however is a fundamental which I'm hoping is just a confidence issue that will improve in time.
I don't agree he has a poor first touch. He started out that way (FA cup semi) but he had to work off a lot of rust. The rust seems to have now gone. To me he looks like a massive upgrade on Maupay, capable of more goals. He reminds me of another very effective German, Gerd Müller.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton

I just reread his BHAFC article from last Feb when he joined.

"rejected by Werder Bremen at 14, and at 17 earning £120 a week as a semi-pro in the German fourth tier while working eight-hour days in a factory."

Great to see how far he's come.
German Jamie Vardy maybe.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I don't agree he has a poor first touch. He started out that way (FA cup semi) but he had to work off a lot of rust. The rust seems to have now gone. To me he looks like a massive upgrade on Maupay, capable of more goals. He reminds me of another very effective German, Gerd Müller.
I'm not sure you can use the FA Cup semi as an example of him starting off with a poor first touch, when it was in April while Undav's first game for us was last August.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
If you look at it from a MPG perspective he’s actually our most prolific goalscorer.
IMG_6715.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you look at it from a MPG perspective he’s actually our most prolific goalscorer.
View attachment 161482
The Albion was never, ever, about an X goals a season striker - despite what some who have us believe.

What it was about is answered right there:-

4 players in double figures.
&
4 players over 5 goals.

72 goals spread over 8 players.

Spurs have 30 goals a season Hazza but only scored 68 goals in total from 16 players.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Undav certainly knows where the goal is, but for a team who rely on possession, does a player with such a poor first touch fit the philosophy?

His positional play is also an issue, but that can be coached. His first touch however is a fundamental which I'm hoping is just a confidence issue that will improve in time.
I thought his link up play and movement yesterday were excellent.

His first touch layoffs kept play flowing and he got in behind multiple times.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Albion was never, ever, about an X goals a season striker - despite what some who have us believe.

&
4 players over 5 goals.

Spurs have 30 goals a season Hazza but only scored 68 goals in total from 16 players.
Those Albion figures quoted above are goals in all competitions.

We scored 72 goals in TOTAL in the PL. (Spurs scored 70, so your general point still stands…)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

&
4 players over 5 goals.

I prefer to break it down as:

4 players scored 10 (yes 10) or more

4 more players scored 30 (yes 30) between them.

Incredible stats.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
I know we scored alot of goals but we still needed a top striker.Welbeck is getting on and injury prone.Ferguson is young and still learning.Undav seems to have finally woken up.Had we started the nseason with a top striker god knows where we would be,

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I know we scored alot of goals but we still needed a top striker.Welbeck is getting on and injury prone.Ferguson is young and still learning.Undav seems to have finally woken up.Had we started the nseason with a top striker god knows where we would be,
Welbeck only missed 6 squads all season - the ‘longest’ run was 3 games.

Since his corrective surgery when he returned December 2021 he definitely has not been injury prone.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
Welbeck only missed 6 squads all season - the ‘longest’ run was 3 games.

Since his corrective surgery when he returned December 2021 he definitely has not been injury prone.
Ok but how many goals has he scored? If we had a top striker who played instead of Welbeck then where would we be ??On the other hand if we did have a top striker then maybe alot of play would have been directed his way so instead of goals being spread around he might have scored and we might have still overall scored the same.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ok but how many goals has he scored? If we had a top striker who played instead of Welbeck then where would we be ??On the other hand if we did have a top striker then maybe alot of play would have been directed his way so instead of goals being spread around he might have scored and we might have still overall scored the same.
It’s only the number the team scores that matters, not any individual. Welbeck has made a very decent contribution to our play overall.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It’s only the number the team scores that matters, not any individual. Welbeck has made a very decent contribution to our play overall.
He also scored 7 (valuable) goals. Amazing that our lead striker was seventh in the scoring table, but still got seven! Not long ago that Dunk was out top scorer with five....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here