Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Delusions of Grandeur, another season in the Championship.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
So, what's wrong with another year in the Championship? We've only been back in the 2nd tier 5 minutes. We don't have a god given right to leap into the top flight - we're not the mighty Leeds United y'know! Another year might give Gus and the team a chance to iron out the obvious frailties

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
So, what's wrong with another year in the Championship? We've only been back in the 2nd tier 5 minutes. We don't have a god given right to leap into the top flight - we're not the mighty Leeds United y'know! Another year might give Gus and the team a chance to iron out the obvious frailties

Well said. I have no problems with another year in the Championship. Realistically speaking, we're not Premiership material just yet. We're not League One material either so where else should we be? The Championship is always a fiercely competitive division because the rewards for promotion are so great. Getting promoted is desperately difficult. Just look at how many years Cardiff have been trying.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Although yesterdays result was disappointing it is a good reality check, especially coming after the Blackburn game. It shows we are far from good enough for the automatic promotion places and are not even consistent enough to get to or let alone stay within the play off places either. We have a great team on paper and occasionally play some brilliant stuff but too often we are easily bullied by teams in the bottom half, let alone the top sides. Yesterday we got off to a sloppy start but still had a chance until the red card which was not only reckless in itself but looking at the bigger picture was also very damaging for our play off chances. Maybe in a peverse way Barnes may have done us a favour?

Other Clubs who were unfancied at the start of the season like Watford have overtaken us. I don't think they are Premiership material either, just more consistent and have made a remarkable job of adapting to all their loanees. They also play a formation that allows them to capitalise on their talent, whereas we are often a tad too conservative. Games that we could win we only draw. We play well when things suit us but aren't good at turning games around. Even yesterday we could have nicked something - when we got a goal back thanks to the impact from CMS as sub when it was then all Albion but sadly within a couple of minutes we let in a sloppy 3rd goal. I'm not convinced that Gus then made the right changes. We were outgunned in midfield without Bridders and Barnes. I expected Gus to bring on Dicker and maybe Hoskins to have a go at them with CMS. OK Gus took a bit of a punt bringing on Vicente but he looked off the pace and often outnumbered.

I am looking forward to seeing the live Watford v Palace game on TV later this week which should be a classic between two attacking sides. On balance a Watford win would do nicely. Then our game against Hull will be an interesting yardstick of whether we are progressing against the better teams.

I feel it is more of a priority to get to the Prem for financial reasons - rather than footie reasons. Yes it would be great to savour the euphoria of another promotion and to have Prem status but currently we are short of the mark on the pitch and it could be a painful experience. I can recall how solid a promotion side we were in 78/79 but even with the talents and attacking style we had back then we still got a bloody nose in the old 1st div.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yesterday's result was a blip , from a technical point of view our players showed more quality on the ball at times but add in the factors of playing 60 minutes with 10 men , being 2 nil down , Wednesday's hoofball and chase and a diabolical referee we were f***ed.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Although yesterdays result was disappointing it is a good reality check, especially coming after the Blackburn game. It shows we are far from good enough for the automatic promotion places and are not even consistent enough to get to or let alone stay within the play off places either. We have a great team on paper and occasionally play some brilliant stuff but too often we are easily bullied by teams in the bottom half, let alone the top sides. Yesterday we got off to a sloppy start but still had a chance until the red card which was not only reckless in itself but looking at the bigger picture was also very damaging for our play off chances. Maybe in a peverse way Barnes may have done us a favour?

Other Clubs who were unfancied at the start of the season like Watford have overtaken us. I don't think they are Premiership material either, just more consistent and have made a remarkable job of adapting to all their loanees. They also play a formation that allows them to capitalise on their talent, whereas we are often a tad too conservative. Games that we could win we only draw. We play well when things suit us but aren't good at turning games around. Even yesterday we could have nicked something - when we got a goal back thanks to the impact from CMS as sub when it was then all Albion but sadly within a couple of minutes we let in a sloppy 3rd goal. I'm not convinced that Gus then made the right changes. We were outgunned in midfield without Bridders and Barnes. I expected Gus to bring on Dicker and maybe Hoskins to have a go at them with CMS. OK Gus took a bit of a punt bringing on Vicente but he looked off the pace and often outnumbered.

I am looking forward to seeing the live Watford v Palace game on TV later this week which should be a classic between two attacking sides. On balance a Watford win would do nicely. Then our game against Hull will be an interesting yardstick of whether we are progressing against the better teams.

I feel it is more of a priority to get to the Prem for financial reasons - rather than footie reasons. Yes it would be great to savour the euphoria of another promotion and to have Prem status but currently we are short of the mark on the pitch and it could be a painful experience. I can recall how solid a promotion side we were in 78/79 but even with the talents and attacking style we had back then we still got a bloody nose in the old 1st div.

With Barnesy suspended for 3 games , Gus had to take off Bridcutt as he is on 9 yellows and another card taking into consideration the referee's competency meant a 2 game ban too.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whilst Bridcutt is performing miracles as a defensive midfielder we are still not creating anything to give the strikers enough chances. Our attacking option from midfield is limited to Buckley or Lua Lua going outside of players and trying to get a cross in and that is neither imaginative enough nor consistent enough for players who in the past have been ineffective in the air. Perhaps that will change with Ulloa.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Whilst Bridcutt is performing miracles as a defensive midfielder we are still not creating anything to give the strikers enough chances. Our attacking option from midfield is limited to Buckley or Lua Lua going outside of players and trying to get a cross in and that is neither imaginative enough nor consistent enough for players who in the past have been ineffective in the air. Perhaps that will change with Ulloa.

Problem is Poyet will not use them even if we are chasing the game, like yesterday.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
IMHO our style of football is better suited to the premier league, that's why Newcastle struggle against us and last Saturday was a joy to watch.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Problem is Poyet will not use them even if we are chasing the game, like yesterday.

On seagulls.co.uk, according to son with his wheelchair :lolol:, Orlandi said about how good we looked with CMS and ULLOA on together before they had to pull Ulloa out of it so perhaps Gus has said something to prompt his reaction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here