Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Delusions of Grandeur, another season in the Championship.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
After yesterdays terrible result, be it the result of a rash challange forcing tatical changes it simply proved we are not a team capable or worthy of a top six finish. We lack the quality in depth and the attacking flair required anyone who saw the Watford display at the Amex saw a team with a real cutting edge. I would much rather prefer we challanged for a top two finish with a team and tatics, brimming with confidence attacking flair as opposed to a team that sneaks into the play offs, that would ultimately becoming the Preimership whipping boys. I think another season in the Championship is what is required and hopefully we can continue to improve the squad and Gus can improve as a manager at the same time. All this talk of Gus as the next Chelsea manager is absolute madness he has not proved himself in the Championship yet he has a squad, and the backing of a fair chairman that many managers would chop there arm off for. I feel it is time for Gus to up his game and learn from results this year with far too many draws, not all his fault I know he does however pick the squad and over a season its not just the players that have not been quite consistant enough. I am looking forward to next season now, with a stronger squad and hope as a unit we can move on and challange for promotion.

All I require for the rest of the season is please, please, please let us attack with flair against the Palace and beat them.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Have to agree think we were still a working progress, there's no shame spending another season in the Championship which is a very difficult league.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Loving the championship and we will get to the prem one day no doubt about that but for now just enjoying the ride

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The season is far from over, so why not wait & see what happens before jumping to conclusions? Anyway, football teams are always a work in progress & fortunes can turn in an instant. Have some faith.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I'm not really that bothered if we dont go up this year I think if your 21 points behind the leaders and finish 6th your not ready for it , if were gonna go up id rather do it next season and go up winning in style like Cardiff are and finish in the top 2
Anyway in the 2 years we've been at the Amex we've already played Arsenal , Sunderland , Newcastle (twice), Liverpool also spurs & Chelsea in friendlies so IMO I won't be gutted if we don't go up I'm enjoying it anyway

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I think there is an issue with our attacking prowess. That needs to be addressed. What I fear is that we do not go up this year and we lose some key players in the summer and then fail to replace them. We are still 2 perm Centre backs, 1 perm left back, a quality back up keeper and a creative midfielder short of where we need to be IMO

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Its only our second season in The Championship, we are doing ok and not struggling,our support and infrastructure is growing, we will soon be at a Premier League level and if and when we go up maybe will be better equiped and cope with the extra demands the higher league brings. To early yet, we would take it now if it came, but growing into a Premier league side takes time.
Also around twenty teams have aspirations similar to ourselves and some are far more advanced than us...Cardiff City for one.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I agree, the Championship is not a bad place to be. My concern is that we might struggle to hang on to the likes of Bridcutt if we don't go up this year. At present we are building a side slowly, piece by piece, and if you look at each player as individuals then we should, by right, be challenging for the play-offs. At present, its not quite gelling. I really expected more results like the early season thumping of Barnsley and I am truly amazed that Burnley are now above us, they were shockingly bad when we played them at Turf Moor. Clearly they have worked hard and something has 'clicked'; we need to find that magic something.

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
After yesterdays terrible result, be it the result of a rash challange forcing tatical changes it simply proved we are not a team capable or worthy of a top six finish. We lack the quality in depth and the attacking flair required anyone who saw the Watford display at the Amex saw a team with a real cutting edge. I would much rather prefer we challanged for a top two finish with a team and tatics, brimming with confidence attacking flair as opposed to a team that sneaks into the play offs, that would ultimately becoming the Preimership whipping boys. I think another season in the Championship is what is required and hopefully we can continue to improve the squad and Gus can improve as a manager at the same time. All this talk of Gus as the next Chelsea manager is absolute madness he has not proved himself in the Championship yet he has a squad, and the backing of a fair chairman that many managers would chop there arm off for. I feel it is time for Gus to up his game and learn from results this year with far too many draws, not all his fault I know he does however pick the squad and over a season its not just the players that have not been quite consistant enough. I am looking forward to next season now, with a stronger squad and hope as a unit we can move on and challange for promotion.

All I require for the rest of the season is please, please, please let us attack with flair against the Palace and beat them.

yep agree with all of that,and please tell the club to stop pretending we are going for promotion , it is just a advertising tool to sell season tickets, it was as obvious in August that we would not get promoted this season as it is now

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I disagree. It is Only the first week of February. We win our game in hand 2-0 and beat Palace next month 3-0 and we are in the play offs at their expense. We only need to up our game fractionally and we are in play offs. It may not happen but maybe it will.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
yep agree with all of that,and please tell the club to stop pretending we are going for promotion , it is just a advertising tool to sell season tickets, it was as obvious in August that we would not get promoted this season as it is now

Do you have anything positive to say about The Albion, 'cos I'm buggered if I've seen you contribute anything that doesn't resemble a hatchet job? :rolleyes:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
I disagree. It is Only the first week of February. We win our game in hand 2-0 and beat Palace next month 3-0 and we are in the play offs at their expense. We only need to up our game fractionally and we are in play offs. It may not happen but maybe it will.

And i am sure we would all love this but what we need to grasp is that failure to do so is not the end of the world.....we are overall doing ok.....Rome was'nt built in a day......slowly slowly catchy monkey.....and all that!:lol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If Brighton (That's to outsiders and other fans of other clubs) ,

or

The Albion ( to us that hold the club dear) never make the Premier,i will follow them no matter what,i will even be happy to watch us rise all over again from the basement if required.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
If Brighton (That's to outsiders and other fans of other clubs) ,

or

The Albion ( to us that hold the club dear) never make the Premier,i will follow them no matter what,i will even be happy to watch us rise all over again from the basement if required.

Don't want to nick pick cos i always say "The Albion" but it's "Albion" for some reason.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think it is a lot harder to get promoted than people think or understand.

We may now have a regular goal scorer up front but at times I think we should play two forwards but Poyet clearly begs to differ.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Sorry - who is the regular goalscorer up front ?

I think it is a lot harder to get promoted than people think or understand.

We may now have a regular goal scorer up front but at times I think we should play two forwards but Poyet clearly begs to differ.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Don't want to nick pick cos i always say "The Albion" but it's "Albion" for some reason.

Please do,for me it's The,we will agree to disagree :lolol:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
So optimistic yesterday but today I think we have a big problem. We don't look like we have the tactics, defensive or goal scoring certainty to win most of our remaining games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here