Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Degree worth extra £160k over lifetime

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gully said:
Fair play turi, I would be reluctant to trust my life to a Dr who had earned his qualifications at night school in the local Tech College, but there are still a lot of graduates who have qualifications that are unlikely to get them a job in the area that they have studied.
But, the big professions aside (lawyers and doctors, say), university degrees have never been about actual vocational training as much as they're about learning how to learn - how to absorb large amounts of written information quickly, or to express complicated ideas vocally in seminars - all skills which I learnt at uni which have proven invaluable in my work (I studied politics and I'm a business journalist, so the two were not really related.)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
In my chosen profession the organisation provides all the training, prior to an offer of employment all individuals are assessed for their suitability to be trained, amongst many other qualities. However that said there are some fields where basic educational qualifications are required and we do have positions where a degree is mandatory. I accept your point about absorbing information quickly or the ability to express complicated ideas vocally, these are skills that may not be present in everyone, however much of this can be taught as an individual progresses through their career.

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
Man of Harveys said:
But, the big professions aside (lawyers and doctors, say), university degrees have never been about actual vocational training as much as they're about learning how to learn - how to absorb large amounts of written information quickly, or to express complicated ideas vocally in seminars - all skills which I learnt at uni which have proven invaluable in my work (I studied politics and I'm a business journalist, so the two were not really related.)

Which is where Poly's came into play, I studied engineering which is vocational training, I needed it for my chosen profession and Poly's generally tuned the degree to meet the requirements of industry, hence Poly's specialized in a particular field (Coventry has one of the best automotive design courses int the world).
Personally, getting Poly's to become Uni's was a mistake, it diluted there abilities.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
MYOB said:
In the time my classmates from school are getting a four year degree I'll have earned >€120k of that back. works out as 2k a year more over an average working lifetime if thats taken in to account. Not 100% it'd be worth it...

Curiously, IT is one profession where a degree can actually work against you. For example, recently we had two applicants for a Java programmer. One was a girl with a degree in Computer Science, the other left school at sixteen but she had six months practical experience in the IT department of a blue-chip corporation. Guess which applicant got the job?

Yup, the one with the biggest tits

:down:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Man of Harveys said:
university degrees have never been about actual vocational training as much as they're about learning how to learn - how to absorb large amounts of written information quickly, or to express complicated ideas vocally in seminars.

And how to drink lots of beer, inflate condoms over your head, and throw up into other people's front gardens. Let's not overlook these important aspects.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Trufflehound said:
And how to drink lots of beer, inflate condoms over your head, and throw up into other people's front gardens. Let's not overlook these important aspects.
True. My uni mates have been scanning in their old pics from the first year recently - there are NO books to be seen anywhere, but Spinal Tap-esque numbers of guitars are simply everywhere, all the time. That's all we did. Er, and pull loads of BIRDS, obviously...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Man of Harveys said:
I studied politics and I'm a business journalist, so the two were not really related.

I have a Politics degree too, and I'm a firefighter. The two are definitley not related!

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Bad Ash said:
But many university leavers walk straight into a £15k job they could have walked into just as easily before university.

That film studies degree from an ex poly probably does nothing for 90% of the students taking it other than costing them loads and increasing their alcohol tolerance.

totally agree. i don't know why people spend thousands of pounds going to an ex poly that doesn't demonstrate any knowledge beyond gcse.

having said that, i don't suppose i really needed my degree (politics, now working in local government - slight link) but boy was it fun.

:drink:

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Garry Nelson's Left Foot said:
I have a degree. In Politics and Philosophy.

Hope that helps the debate somewhat.:)

me too!

"an unexamined life is not worth living."

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I'm studying for a Politics degree at the moment.

To be honest I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. If someone offered me the chance to jump into employment in my chosen field(say Politics) and forever waive my need for a degree, I'd do it in a shot.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tesco in Disguise said:
totally agree. i don't know why people spend thousands of pounds going to an ex poly that doesn't demonstrate any knowledge beyond gcse.

having said that, i don't suppose i really needed my degree (politics, now working in local government - slight link) but boy was it fun.

:drink:

Some Ex-Poly's can offer degree courses that are ranked as one of the best in the country. Old University snobbery should be a thing of the past. :p

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I gained my degree equivalent (which can be converted should I ever be bothered to sit the UMIST conversion paper) through sponsored day release over 7 years. I was working and earning at the time and am still with that company.

However, I get totally frustrated by those who study history of art but have no wish to be an art historian. I know that may employers are now looking for relevance when assessing degree level candidates and that can only be a good thing.

You dont to have done journalism to become a journalist. But politics or history - which requires research and use of evidence are sound base subjects which with NCTJ top up can be very useful.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
point. i was referring mainly to academic courses that are offered at ex-poly universities.

polytechnics have their role, to be sure. but i think trying to make them more red-brick has been a mistake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here