Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defender Crisis? What crisis?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would like to see Vincelot playing alongside of Bridcut because their 2nd goal was a direct result of a breakaway and our existing midfielders couldn't get back to defend and I think that had he been playing in midfield instead of Navarro he would have had the legs to track back which sadly Navarro hasn't got. Mind he couldn't play left back and central midfield although I think he would give it a good try. The 2nd goal killed us off as we were pushing for an equaliser.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Turkey is going to have to up BOTH Cook and Dunk's potential for FM now!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I would like to see Vincelot playing alongside of Bridcut because their 2nd goal was a direct result of a breakaway and our existing midfielders couldn't get back to defend and I think that had he been playing in midfield instead of Navarro he would have had the legs to track back which sadly Navarro hasn't got. Mind he couldn't play left back and central midfield although I think he would give it a good try. The 2nd goal killed us off as we were pushing for an equaliser.

Er Navarro was off the pitch at the time having been subbed 3 minutes earlier. The last two at the back were Bridcut and Vincelot as the centre backs had gone forward for a set piece.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Great performance. Tonight was either going to be the making or breaking of Cook, as Suarez, Bellamy, Kuyt et al could have destroyed his chances of getting near the first team for a long while but he stepped up to the plate brilliantly.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Unbelievable. This just proves how you don't actually watch Navarro play and how you have pre-judged him as "shit" and nothing will change that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Er Navarro was off the pitch at the time having been subbed 3 minutes earlier. The last two at the back were Bridcut and Vincelot as the centre backs had gone forward for a set piece.

Plus Sparrow had been subbed..so midfield has been rather depleted....if we were going to be super critical..then u cud had see vincente shut hadn't tracked back ...given that he seemed to have been playing a slightly more withdrawn role aftr the 2nd lot of substitutions..but would be harsh to criticise

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Plus Sparrow had been subbed..so midfield has been rather depleted....if we were going to be super critical..then u cud had see vincente shut had tracked back ...given that he seemed to have been playing a slightly more withdrawn role aftr the 2nd lot of substitutions..but would be harsh to criticise

Not being critical. Said to mate at the time of the substitutions that we're really going for it and that we'd either get right back in it or concede 3 breakaway goals! Much rather lose that way than just defend in order not to concede any further goals.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. My view of of having Vincelot in midfield rather than Navarro was that we were pushing forward and got caught out as nobody was able to come back and help out Bridcut and Vincelot. In normal circumstances that would have been Bridcut and Painter that is when we could do with Vincelot to track back. I thin k that it would be wrong to say that Navarro and Sparrow were our worst players but more apt to say that they contributed the least of all the players.

At 1 - 0 down with 15 mins to go in a cup game Gus, we had to score and to concede another goal wouldn't have been the end of the world hence Gus changed our midfield which had been over run and opted for a more attacking formation. As it happened it is debatable whether he was right because we lost by their 2nd goal.

I must admit that I would be happy if that match was the last time we shall see Sparrow and Navarro start a game for us as both were very much off the pace of the game. Ideal substitutes perhaps but not in for a start.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As BG says - quite rightly - it's all about opinions.

In my opinion, BG knows bugger all about how Brighton play.

Right in the first instance it is about opinions
wrong in the 2nd because NOBODY other than Gus knows how we are going to play as he changes it for each game depending on the opposition.

Perhaps I have been watching and scouting for too long and have preconceived ideas of how I think players in certain positions should play and football moves on.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Please highlight where I said that he was still on the pitch when they scored their 2nd goal.

Had Vincelot been playing centre midfield instead of Navarro, we wouldn't have conceded the second goal - is how I, and others, have interpreted it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would suggest that you learn to read although I will say it isn't 100% clear and I could have worded it slightly better. The midfield we had at the time didn't or couldn't get back to stop the goal. Had Vincelot been in midfield instead of Navarro that would have meant Tarrico being on the field at left back in which case Bridcutt and Tarrico would have been back when Greer and Cook went forward. When they broke quickly Vincelot would have tracked back with them unlike the midfielders that we had on at the time and unlike Navarro who wouldn't have had the legs even if he had still been on.

Is that clearer and just to make your day I would say that I thought Sparrow and Navarro offered the least to the game of all of our players.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Vincelot - outstanding, buy of the season. Dunk - outstanding. Cook - great performance. ElAbd and Elf to come back. Great stuff

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Disappointed that the captain, who was excellent in all other aspects, didnt sort out the fact that we gave Liverpool too much space in the first half. It seemed obvious to myself and others around me in west stand upper. (Probably had a better view) Had to push further up on to the midfield. However, the indecision in a new centre back pairing may have been the cause.
Also have to say that it wasnt till I watched the recording later that I realised how well Navarro and Sparrow played! You do see a different view but doesnt beat being there.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Vincelot - outstanding, buy of the season. Dunk - outstanding. Cook - great performance. ElAbd and Elf to come back. Great stuff

Can't see Elphick having much of a look in to be honest. We might even send him out on loan when he's back to fitness.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Talking of Greer, have Scotland got a good enough defence that they can continue to overlook him in their selections. Surely he should get a chance, especially in a friendly?

Perhaps I have Albion coloured specs on!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I would suggest that you learn to read although I will say it isn't 100% clear and I could have worded it slightly better. The midfield we had at the time didn't or couldn't get back to stop the goal. Had Vincelot been in midfield instead of Navarro that would have meant Tarrico being on the field at left back in which case Bridcutt and Tarrico would have been back when Greer and Cook went forward. When they broke quickly Vincelot would have tracked back with them unlike the midfielders that we had on at the time and unlike Navarro who wouldn't have had the legs even if he had still been on.

Is that clearer and just to make your day I would say that I thought Sparrow and Navarro offered the least to the game of all of our players.

Fair do's if that's how you meant it, but that wasn't the way it originally came across to me (or others who commented on it).

I will just learn to live that you have a serious chip on your shoulder with regards Navarro and will (try to) move on without picking up on all your constant negative posts about him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here