Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Decorating is

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
something I get other people to do for me.

This all day long and pretty much same for any level of DIY that might require more than a screwdriver. I'm just not practical and have neither the time or inclination to botch something up and then get grief from the other half. Much rather pay money to get it done properly first time.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I hate painting woodwork but the Mrs loves it.
Conversely I am quite good at wallpapering and enjoy it (mostly).

A few years back we paid a "professional" to do our lounge/hallway/stairs as it was a big job. I don't think what he did was any better than what we can do.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Sometimes you do building work and the clients show absolutely no enthusiasm even where you've really gone beyond any reasonable expectation to make the job turn out better.
Then a couple of decorators turn up slosh a couple of coats of paint up and the same surly gits are gushing about what a difference it's made and what a great job they've done and how grateful they are.
Boils my piss.
I'd still rather not do it though.

So true 😂

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

A few years back we paid a "professional" to do our lounge/hallway/stairs as it was a big job. I don't think what he did was any better than what we can do.

Except for all the time, aggravation and arguments you saved yourself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Currently been renovating the house for 9 months now, and I'm doing ALL the decorating, on my own.

To say I'm bored of it would be an understatement.

Next house : 1 bed bungalow. :glare:

You have only yourself to blame for compulsively purchasing undecorated properies. Why oh why, and for how long do you imagine you can keep this up? ??? :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Your Mrs loves your painted wood does she? Are you a columnist for Viz magazine?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
something I get other people to do for me.

Best left in the hands of professionals.

Last week, for the first time in my life, I paid someone else. Yes I lost money, but boy am I glad I did. Decorating and home improvements are almost the only things Mrs GCCM and I have ever argued about in 26 glorious years of marriage.

Call in the pros.

I’ve never hired a decorator, always diy’d to spend the money on nice things or to help stay afloat financially.

I pet hate is painting ceilings - easy to mess up, covering up flooring/belongings, messy and a literal pain in the neck. Next time, I’ll pay a professional decorator.

Likewise.

Absolutely correct.😊

Except for all the time, aggravation and arguments you saved yourself.

Whilst. I agree that decorating is about as interesting as watching paint dry, and far more frustrating, I will continue to do my own for as long as possible.

The one ‘room’ I have twice turned to the professionals for is the hall, stairs, landing combo. Masses of doors and woodwork combine with at least one massive vertical space above fresh air have led me to pay someone else to do it on two separate occasions. The first also involved the installation of a full balustrade on the stairs to return the house to a more original look.

On both instances the finished paintwork was ‘king awful, even after pointing out errors and requesting more to be done. Paint runs, drips, poor cutting in, bits missed etc etc. It became obvious that time (and therefore money) had become so much more important than quality and that they were unable to actually produce a good job even when requested or incentivised. Yes, much less time and work for me, but so annoying to pay out an awful lot of money for something that I could do to a far higher standard.

Lucklly I can now say ‘never again’, at least until my eyes are too old to see the difference. Now live in a single storey home and can do pretty much all of it myself without too much trouble. It can still be a dull and drawn out task, but it’s bloody good to know that it is done properly and that my home looks as good as it can. Bank balance looks better for it too!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sometimes you do building work and the clients show absolutely no enthusiasm even where you've really gone beyond any reasonable expectation to make the job turn out better.
Then a couple of decorators turn up slosh a couple of coats of paint up and the same surly gits are gushing about what a difference it's made and what a great job they've done and how grateful they are.
Boils my piss.
I'd still rather not do it though.

On the two occasions over the last 20 years or so we’ve had building work done, it’s been the plasterers who have had that effect - from bare bricks or breeze blocks to a lovely smooth finish!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My wife does all the home designing and decorating; sanding, painting, wallpapering etc. I do all the golfing.

My wife used to go out with a painter. But she hated his habit of always rolling out of bed................... supposedly he preferred a mat finish! :)

I'll get my coat............. under coat that is!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whilst. I agree that decorating is about as interesting as watching paint dry, and far more frustrating, I will continue to do my own for as long as possible.

The one ‘room’ I have twice turned to the professionals for is the hall, stairs, landing combo. Masses of doors and woodwork combine with at least one massive vertical space above fresh air have led me to pay someone else to do it on two separate occasions. The first also involved the installation of a full balustrade on the stairs to return the house to a more original look.

On both instances the finished paintwork was ‘king awful, even after pointing out errors and requesting more to be done. Paint runs, drips, poor cutting in, bits missed etc etc. It became obvious that time (and therefore money) had become so much more important than quality and that they were unable to actually produce a good job even when requested or incentivised. Yes, much less time and work for me, but so annoying to pay out an awful lot of money for something that I could do to a far higher standard.

Lucklly I can now say ‘never again’, at least until my eyes are too old to see the difference. Now live in a single storey home and can do pretty much all of it myself without too much trouble. It can still be a dull and drawn out task, but it’s bloody good to know that it is done properly and that my home looks as good as it can. Bank balance looks better for it too!

I 2/3rd’s repainted the entire up and downstairs hallways & stairwell about 6 months ago, including just some of the woodwork.

But lockdowns etc meant a busy house every day, therefore too much of a hazard to use oil based paints (ruined clothes, hands and feet touching wet paint), to be able to finish off.

I’l finish off that boring project when school/uni take ‘the nippers’ out of the house for a sustained period.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My wife used to go out with a painter. But she hated his habit of always rolling out of bed................... supposedly he preferred a mat finish! :)

I'll get my coat............. under coat that is!

Oh dear, the poster is going to be a tad disappointed with that effort.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Been my main source of income when not teaching for 36 years. I'm a wirey chap and built for it. Whilst happy to decorate, I bloody hate prepping! Oh and painting Bannisters - usually charge treble for the buggers.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was looking at some documents on a high rise residential project we were working on and there were approximately 250,000 square metres of new plasterboard partition to be painted with emulsion.

Often wondered if the guys working on those projects get professionals in when they are getting their own places decorated as they must be sick of the sight of paint

Weapons grade drugs. Quite literally a 5 minute job.:drool::mad:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've done all sorts over the years, and am at the stage I DO NOT want to do any more . . .but we've paid some people to do stuff with recent house renovations. Yes I can do it just as well, and for £150-£200 a day I would, but I'd rather go to work . . . Double edged sword . . . . I've ended up doing the interesting/awkward stuff though. Some Trades People are taking the piss with quotes.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
shitehouse.[/QUOTE ]

I can't argue with that. :nono:

Newly married and moving into our first marital home, l promised the wife that l would completely redecorate the lounge. I bought all the materials, wallpaper, paint, brushes, pasting table etc. etc. then set to work. After a couple of hours l had made such a gash of it, that l decided to give up on the papering completely, and finish off by simply painting around the furniture. Job done!

Never again, now that l can afford to do so, l get the professionals to do it for me.

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol: wall papering is definitely a "trade" , so many pitfalls , the walls have to be prepped properly so you can slide the paper into place other wise it grabs to quick and you're ****ed , i have been on jobs where the wallpaper is over $2000.00 a roll and the guys get paid $100.00 a drop....insane money considerring you get about 5 drops out of a roll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here