Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Decent marathon training schedule?

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Thanks for this. I've just taken a look at the Boston specific plan and I like the look of it....especially the ego massaging opening sentence :). Only 12 week program as well. I'll give this some serious consideration.

So is it as simple as registering online for most of these runs or do you need to sign up to charities for alot of them and if so what does that entail??

Thanks alot, geniunely getting really excited about this now:clap2:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So is it as simple as registering online for most of these runs or do you need to sign up to charities for alot of them and if so what does that entail??

Are you asking about marathons or shorter distances?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think you're asking about marathons.

London is massively over-subscribed and difficult to get into unless you want to sign up to a charity or have a 'good for age' time which guarantees you entry. For historically over-subscribed races they operate a ballot... all the entries go into a hat, so you have a one in whatever chance of entry.

Below this you get other 'big city' marathons such as Brighton which do not operate a ballot, they open for apps but will eventually fill up. I think all the Brighton 2011 places went within 2 weeks or so of opening. You can also enter these with charity and 'good for age'.

Below this you get smaller marathons e.g. Hastings which you can generally get into as long as you do not leave it to the last minute.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

London is massively over-subscribed and difficult to get into unless you want to sign up to a charity or have a 'good for age' time which guarantees you entry. For historically over-subscribed races they operate a ballot... all the entries go into a hat, so you have a one in whatever chance of entry.

Below this you get other 'big city' marathons such as Brighton which do not operate a ballot, they open for apps but will eventually fill up. I think all the Brighton 2011 places went within 2 weeks or so of opening. You can also enter these with charity and 'good for age'.

Below this you get smaller marathons e.g. Hastings which you can generally get into as long as you do not leave it to the last minute.

I wasn't aware there was a Hastings marathon. Or by smaller marathon do you mean half? (!)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wasn't aware there was a Hastings marathon. Or by smaller marathon do you mean half? (!)

Mmmm. Looks like the Hastings marathon stopped a few years back. The Beachy Head marathon is still operating though. This is what I meant by "smaller" ie 26.2 miles but small number of participants.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys

Thanks bud, that makes sense as I just found a worthing marathon in may which has no real terms of entry, I think I will base my 18weeks training on this one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't forget to do other races as part of your marathon training.
My next marathon is next month but ran the Bexhill 1/2 this am. Again there are plenty of sites that let you put in your other recent race times to get your predicted marathon time.

Good point. Two useful ones for April marathons are the Worthing and Thanet 20 milers. I found Worthing especially useful for timing purposes as it's 4 laps of 5 miles.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Don't forget to do other races as part of your marathon training.
My next marathon is next month but ran the Bexhill 1/2 this am. Again there are plenty of sites that let you put in your other recent race times to get your predicted marathon time.

Heya Steve, You've lost me there I'm afraid!! As in websites that will predict ur marathon time?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Mmmm. Looks like the Hastings marathon stopped a few years back. The Beachy Head marathon is still operating though. This is what I meant by "smaller" ie 26.2 miles but small number of participants.

The Hastings Marathon of a couple of years ago was a "one off" to mark 100 years since.......well the other time they did one.

Shame, as it was a really good race......you might have to wait 98 years for the next one.

The half marathon is very good though.

In terms of training at the moment, for any first timers I always think they should aim to be able to run comfortably for 40 minutes , 4 times a week.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Thanks bud, that makes sense as I just found a worthing marathon in may which has no real terms of entry, I think I will base my 18weeks training on this one.

Thats Three Forts Marathon?

I did this one back in May. Its a lovely race, but practise those hills.

Its also very low key, almost the complete opposite of Brighton or London marathons. There's nothing in way of crowd support, plus you could well find yourself running alone.........like I did :laugh:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Just to re-iterate what Pete said.

Three Forts Marathon is tough. Fun, yes. But tough. It's all off road on the downs. Out from hill barn up to Cissbury, across to Devils Dyke, the to Chanctonbury, back to Cissbury and the back down to Hill Barn.

Expect it to take a lot longer than a road marathon, with lots of walking up the hills. I have done a road marathon in 3hrs 53, I done Three Forts in 5hr 28 last year.

I'll be doing Three Forts again in 2011

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here