Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Decent marathon training schedule?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
OK, so I've been out running, mostly when I feel like it, trying to at least get used to the idea with the Brighton Marathon booked for April. Most I've done lately is about 8 miles, but I tend to go according to how it feels on the day rather than according to any plan.

I've realised it's about time I got a proper training schedule in place, so wondered if anyone had any recommendations? There seem to be loads online, all different, and I don't know what works and what doesn't, so as usual, the wisdom of NSC is being called for.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I dropped my son (Police Cadet) down to John Street this morn and on the way back to the hill passed a load of runners today heading north out of Brighton, with Brighton marathon Ambasadors high viz on? Maybe they are a training group?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I might join a group anyway, but for now I just want a rough idea of how far and how often I should be running, so I can keep track of it and know I'm vaguely on schedule.

It's about 19 weeks until the marathon so it is do-able. Gulp.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Signed up again this year, desperate to beat last year's time but yet to begin my training. Every week I say to myself I'll start but never do, then weeks turn to months and it's nearly bloody Christmas.. April will be here before I know it!

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
OK, so I've been out running, mostly when I feel like it, trying to at least get used to the idea with the Brighton Marathon booked for April. Most I've done lately is about 8 miles, but I tend to go according to how it feels on the day rather than according to any plan.

I've realised it's about time I got a proper training schedule in place, so wondered if anyone had any recommendations? There seem to be loads online, all different, and I don't know what works and what doesn't, so as usual, the wisdom of NSC is being called for.

If your signed up to the marathon have you been getting the regular emails from them, there some training programmes included i think, they also hold regular training days leading up to the race.
It will be my first marathon and i started training start of october, im trying to do 3 runs a week, one of which im making a long run. Im up to 2 hours for my long run although ive only done that once. I pretty much do what i feel though rather than stick to a programme. As long as ive done at least a couple of 4 hour plus training runs before the day ill be happy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Try Runner's World UK some good stuff on there....

I second this. I'd go further and get a year's subscription to the mag. You'll get access to the training plans section of the website plus you'll get the monthly mag which also lists all the forth coming half marathons and 20m races which are useful for your training. There are a number of halfs and 20m races set up specifically for folk training for London which you could also use.

Going back to the training plans, Runners World covers all bases, from those wanting to do 'good for age' times right down to those who simply want to complete the course. They require a base level of fitness and tend to be 16 weeks long and start in the new year. If you can train approx 3 times a week between now and Xmas but aim to get a couple of 10-12 milers under your belt before Xmas you'll be good to go for one of their plans.

I have run two marathons and used two different RW plans and they both worked perfectly for me. I'll be choosing a plan for Boston shortly.

D

Deleted User X18H

I'd get to 15 miles before New Year if I were you. I tapered off around this time last year did my first 13 miles in January and then to 18 in March. I was disappointed in my Marathon time to be honest. It was bloody hot though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd get to 15 miles before New Year if I were you. I tapered off around this time last year did my first 13 miles in January and then to 18 in March. I was disappointed in my Marathon time to be honest. It was bloody hot though.

Depends what you want to achieve. The RW plan for 4 hours 30 does not take you to 15 miles until week 9. So if you're wanting this time no need to do a 15 miler before the new year. The base level they specify for this time is 'Right now, you should be used to running for 20-30 minutes four or five times a week.'

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Depends what you want to achieve. The RW plan for 4 hours 30 does not take you to 15 miles until week 9. So if you're wanting this time no need to do a 15 miler before the new year. The base level they specify for this time is 'Right now, you should be used to running for 20-30 minutes four or five times a week.'

are the RW schedules available on line or just in the magazine?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
are the RW schedules available on line or just in the magazine?

They're on-line but you need to be a subscriber to see them. Sign up for the mag and they'll give you instant access.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I usually run for an hour or so, maybe six miles at no great pace.

I've dropped out a bit in the last month due to holidays and working away, but I was doing it three times a week or so and would obviously plan to up that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I usually run for an hour or so, maybe six miles at no great pace.

I've dropped out a bit in the last month due to holidays and working away, but I was doing it three times a week or so and would obviously plan to up that.

an hours running three times a week is the perfect intro for the RW 16 week plans. For my first marathon I was doing exactly this, over Xmas I choose a plan based on the time I wanted to do and the time I could commit to training and had a great race day. But yeah, you'll have to up the training come January.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
One a day, but don't over do it so have one day off a week, this where the six pack really scores..

Attachments

• Snickers.jpg
    Snickers.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 211

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm thinking, simple rule of thumb, that most able-bodies folks could walk 26 miles at a brisk pace in eight hours, so breaking into a bit of a jog now and then you could probably do it in seven, even dressed as Spongebob.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
God its all so exciting isn't it, I had no plans of training for a marathon but listening to you folk has got me right in the mood of getting my trainers on and doing the 3x1hour runs.

Afew yrs ago my sisters boyfriend got me into jogging, the addictiveness(sp) is unreal, ended up doing the london chest and hyde park 10k runs. finished them bout in 50mins with the winners doing it in about 30mins I think but I was happy enuf with my time.

In theory that could be a marathon time of 50x4=3hrs 20 but realistically would I be looking at a marathon time of about 4hr 30 due to not maintaining my initial minute/mile pace?

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I use the Hal Higdon schedules as I find they're not quite as rigid as the RW ones and don't seem to focus quite so much on ridiculous and unnecessary interval sessions.

http://www.halhigdon.com/#marathon

Herr Tubthumper, I also see on his website that he does a Boston-specific schedule. I also agree that getting to 15 miles before New Year seems a bit excessive. But again, it all depends what your goal is for the day. I would say running between 20-25 miles a week for about a month before a 16-18 schedule kicks in would do.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
I use the Hal Higdon schedules as I find they're not quite as rigid as the RW ones and don't seem to focus quite so much on ridiculous and unnecessary interval sessions.

Herr Tubthumper, I also see on his website that he does a Boston-specific schedule. I also agree that getting to 15 miles before New Year seems a bit excessive. But again, it all depends what your goal is for the day. I would say running between 20-25 miles a week for about a month before a 16-18 schedule kicks in would do.

Yeah, I like the look of halhigdon, nice and simple and will obviously pay off if you stick to it, so are there any marathons coming up april/may time that I can get in? I know the london marathon is always over subscribed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thanks for this. I've just taken a look at the Boston specific plan and I like the look of it....especially the ego massaging opening sentence :). Only 12 week program as well. I'll give this some serious consideration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here