Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Decent Footy Mags

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Can anyone recommend a decent footy magazine that doesn't just cover all the usual Prem League teams and Champions League teams? In other words is there a magazine out there which likes to delve in to the lower leagues?

It's been a while since I bought any footy mags and your clear and impartial advice would be welcomed.

442 and WSC seem to spring to mind but are they still going and do they give the lower leagues a decent level of coverage or do they still cover mainly Prem League?

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
When Saturday Comes is the only mag i buy now...
Used to buy fourfourtwo every month too but its nearlly a fiver now which is a joke.
At least WSC at £2.95 is good value.
I noticed the other day the people who make the Italian football mag are doing a Spanish one too so might buy that now & again.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I noticed the other day the people who make the Italian football mag are doing a Spanish one too so might buy that now & again.

Sounds good, where did you see that? I've been looking for something along those lines for a while now.

FFT, while I agree it's expensive, do generally do a very good job of covering life beyond the big leagues, both domestically and internationally.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
RIP 90 Minutes, Football Weekly News and Football Handbook

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Football Punk had potential , sad to see it go.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
RIP 90 Minutes, Football Weekly News and Football Handbook

Ah! 90 Minutes. I used to love that magazine. Got interviewed and a photo taken of me when I was 18 in the fans section outside grounds asking about Manchester United blaming their defeat at Southampton on their infamous grey shirts. That was 1996.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yeah, FourFourTwo is my personal favourite. It covers a wide range of leagues across Europe and every three or four issues there is a special on the FL. Last season, Brighton had 3 or 4 bits and pieces about them. Its definately my favourite.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Just tracked down The Blizzard online and it aint cheap is it? http://www.theblizzard.co.uk

It's a novel way of paying for a subscription, just "pay what you can afford" for the on-line version. And only four issues per year, so my concern would be how up to date and relevant articles will be by the time you've received your copy?

Mmmm certainly different. But is it any good? ???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just tracked down The Blizzard online and it aint cheap is it? http://www.theblizzard.co.uk

It's a novel way of paying for a subscription, just "pay what you can afford". And only four issues per year, so my concern would be how up to date and relevant articles will be by the time you've received your copy?

Mmmm certainly different. But is it any good? ???

Dunno, but at four editions a year NSC could almost certainly knock The Blizzard out the water by doing six editions a year. Plenty great ideas and exceptional writers on here :thumbsup:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
How would you rate this new mag over the more traditional, say 442 or WSC mags? Is it worth the money?

Actually, Blizzard is fantastic. There's only been one issue so far I think as its a quarterly, but its a really intelligent magazine. The quality of article on this is far better than any other magazine. I'd forgotten about this one as there's only been one isue so far.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Actually, Blizzard is fantastic. There's only been one issue so far I think as its a quarterly, but its a really intelligent magazine. The quality of article on this is far better than any other magazine. I'd forgotten about this one as there's only been one isue so far.

Yeah the website seems to imply that issue two is out sometime in September. I might give it a go and buy a one off for my hols.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
How would you rate this new mag over the more traditional, say 442 or WSC mags? Is it worth the money?

it's more like a set of essays, there's no pictures, no interviews set up by adidas or whatever.

the writers are mainly broadsheet journos from UK and abroad.

but it's not like your average 442 thing so not for everybody.

when saturday comes is still excellent, 442 is good but it also has a sales agenda (nothing wrong with that) so the sponsor organised interviews with premiership doughnuts spoils it a tiny bit.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Just looked into WSC online looks pretty good, Can you buy it in shops? Want to get one and if I like it then sign up to a subscription good prices too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here