Debts Owed

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
A nice £10000 student loan, and about a grand to my mother not bad going really

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I've finished paying off my student loans now, I bundled my ca rloan and all my debts into my martgage lst time I did it so all I have is a couple of hundered on credit and a £170,000 mortgage whcih will be cleared on my 50th birthday all being well.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
WATFORD O said:
I think students should pay their own way. I object to having to fund your 'educashun'.......

The counter-argument to that is that society needs graduates - teachers, doctors, lawyers and so and so forth. Is it not right that society funds the training of these people to give them the skills to benefit society?

I also agree there's an issue with students doing some of the more ridiculous degrees like computer game studies, and also some of the 'universities' which are springing up - University of Thames Valley anyone?

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
samparish said:
The counter-argument to that is that society needs graduates - teachers, doctors, lawyers and so and so forth. Is it not right that society funds the training of these people to give them the skills to benefit society?

I also agree there's an issue with students doing some of the more ridiculous degrees like computer game studies, and also some of the 'universities' which are springing up - University of Thames Valley anyone?

Why should society fund them? Salaries people earn in those professions are on average far higher than the 'average salary'.

I have a degree in history and a couple óf diddy qualifications and never got any grant whatsoever.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
king Wombat said:
Why should society fund them? Salaries people earn in those professions are on average far higher than the 'average salary'.

I have a degree in history and a couple óf diddy qualifications and never got any grant whatsoever.
I don't think teachers earn a great deal to be fair. I think that the state and individual should share the burden - 50/50. And where we have skills shortages, the state should consider further grants payable on completion.

On the one hand, we need to ensure we don't exclude people who won't risk enormous non-asset backed debt (the poor, or even the naturally prudent), but on the other hand the state shouldn't be paying for wasters who do no work and then drop out after 2 years. And I don't want my nation's lawyers coming purely from privelaged backgrounds.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Nothing. Don't have a mortgage or any loans, credit cards etc. Have £70k in investments/savings.

And no, I won't buy a player for the club with it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here