Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Debt in the Premier League - Telegraph sports section (merged)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There's a great 4 page article with the lowdown on the real facts on clubs debt, profits, wages and cashflows for 2010/11 (i.e. disregarding tabloid agendas against non-London clubs):

Unsurprisingly, the 4 CL clubs that year had the strongest operating (and post interest) net cashflows. Spurs positive £66m, was improved by £50m mainly by being in the CL that year.

Of the non-CL clubs that year, Wolves, Newcastle, and Liverpool, had the best solvency based on cash flow.

Looks like Wolves have paid the price for being too careful with their finances!

Man City - up to May 2011, Sheikh Mansour had gifted them £930m, which didn't include 2011/12's big transfers & another season of wages alone way in excess of turnover.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man City - up to May 2011, Sheikh Mansour had gifted them £930m, which didn't include 2011/12's big transfers & another season of wages alone way in excess of turnover.
What a disgusting amount of money to spunk on players wages and transfer fees. :nono:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
There's a great 4 page article with the lowdown on the real facts on clubs debt, profits, wages and cashflows for 2010/11 (i.e. disregarding tabloid agendas against non-London clubs):

Unsurprisingly, the 4 CL clubs that year had the strongest operating (and post interest) net cashflows. Spurs positive £66m, was improved by £50m mainly by being in the CL that year.

Of the non-CL clubs that year, Wolves, Newcastle, and Liverpool, had the best solvency based on cash flow.

Looks like Wolves have paid the price for being too careful with their finances!

I am not 100%, but I am pretty sure that Wolves Board have said for some time that they will not be making stupid investments with money they don't have, and will be bouncing between the two leagues and growing using the money from parachute payments etc.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Yes, then struggle for 4th...can't keep that many players happy just by rotating, once that novelty wears off, players will get restless

Maybe if they had a decent Manager, and allowed him to run things they would have a better league performance? Unfortunately, their owner is only interested in winning the Champions League, and all of his decisions revolve around it, not what is good for domestic football.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am not a fan of Man City and their excesses, but those they now threaten have been financially superior to the 'others' for sometime too.

There doesnt seem too much evolution when it comes to football, you either get a benefactor in or use vast debt.

The alternative seems to be stagnation, mediocrity and the wrath of the fans that demand success.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
AND? So have Chelsea, so what is your point?
Not really. Chelsea were averaging 18,000 in the top division as recently as the early-mid 90s. Man City have averaged under 20,000 just once in the past 50 odd seasons. City have always been a much bigger club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am not a fan of Man City and their excesses, but those they now threaten have been financially superior to the 'others' for sometime too.

There doesnt seem too much evolution when it comes to football, you either get a benefactor in or use vast debt.

The alternative seems to be stagnation, mediocrity and the wrath of the fans that demand success.
I like being in the Championship.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Not really. Chelsea were averaging 18,000 in the top division as recently as the early-mid 90s. Man City have averaged under 20,000 just once in the past 50 odd seasons. City have always been a much bigger club.

How much were the tickets? Chelsea have charged stupid prices for years, the northern monkeys probably pay a lot less.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

Too true. You often hear fans clamouring for a team to spend money. That's all well and good, but what if they simply don't have that money and are actually trying to live within their means and run as a proper business? I'm hopeful that Financial Fair Play will help in this regard, but I imagine there's some loopholes that the likes of Man City and Chelsea will be able to exploit to be able to still spend hugely unsustainable wads of cash.

Mar 13, 2008
What a disgusting amount of money to spunk on players wages and transfer fees. :nono:

Pocket money to someone like him.

Too true. You often hear fans clamouring for a team to spend money. That's all well and good, but what if they simply don't have that money and are actually trying to live within their means and run as a proper business? I'm hopeful that Financial Fair Play will help in this regard, but I imagine there's some loopholes that the likes of Man City and Chelsea will be able to exploit to be able to still spend hugely unsustainable wads of cash.
Sponsorship. Hence why Wenger got all stroppy when Man City got etihad. Becuase Mansors step brother, half brother or something owns lots of shares in it.

Last edited:

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Not really disgusting to me if his got it to throw away good luck to him, the wages he offers are not tha different to Madrid or Barca

Chelsea fan base was shocking and it took money for them to get fans, bunch of plastics

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pocket money to someone like him.

Sponsorship. Hence why Wenger got all stroppy when Man City got etihad. Becuase Mansors step brother, half brother or something owns lots of shares in it.
Indeed, but not to the rest of the world.

There is something seriously wrong with the world when people can spunk that sort of cash on a football team thousands of miles away while a large portion of his own population lie in poverty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here