Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Death Penalty

Do you support the death penalty, and if so for what cirmes?

• Yes, I support the death penalty for murder. An eye for an eye.

Votes: 29 19.9%
  • Yes, I support the death penalty for murder and more (post below which ones).

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • No, I oppose the death penalty.

Votes: 87 59.6%

• Total voters

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
The fella that murdered Millie Dowler - already in prison for two other murders. Why are we wasting taxpayers money on keeping him alive? Clearly there is no doubting his guilt.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Woo hoo is that a generalisation I see? Anyone that supports the death penalty is clueless.

To be fair it was only to be expected.

I am adding 'people with a moral superiority complex to my list'

Oh and Grauniad readers

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The fella that murdered Millie Dowler - already in prison for two other murders. Why are we wasting taxpayers money on keeping him alive? Clearly there is no doubting his guilt.

Do you know how much the death penalty actually costs? If your argument is about tax payers money, the average period in the US for an inmate to be on death row is 10 years, it's not uncommon for that to be 20 years. In that time there are numerous additional trials, appeal hearings, supreme court etc. then the cost of the execution itself. There are reports in the US that a capital punishment case on average costs over $100,000 more than a life sentence case.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Woo hoo is that a generalisation I see? Anyone that supports the death penalty is clueless.

To be fair it was only to be expected.

I am adding 'people with a moral superiority complex to my list'

Oh and Grauniad readers

Just look at some of the countries where they still have the death penalty and what it is levied for, Somalia to women who are victims of rape, Iran for being gay, China for just about anything. Do we really want to join that club, or maintain our position as a civilised society, whilst still acknowledging that some of our citizens do carry out abominable acts.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Exactly. The risk of executing an innocent person just isn't worth it. As an an example, how many potential 'shaking baby' verdicts would have resulted in the death penalty, only for years later medical studies reveal that the physical evidence leading to a 'shaking baby' conviction, were unlikely to have been caused by shaking at all.

Take this list for example, could you live with their lives being taken, when later they are cleared of all charges...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/themes/crime_and_punishment/miscarriages_of_justice/default.stm

Totally agree. There have been some high profile cases as well such as the Birmingham Six. All of those innocent men would have been executed while the real IRA murderers got away.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Why would executing child killers put us on the same moral compass as Somalia?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
What about the Death penalty to people starting same old same old threads on topics done to, ironically, death?!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Just look at some of the countries where they still have the death penalty and what it is levied for, Somalia to women who are victims of rape, Iran for being gay, China for just about anything. Do we really want to join that club, or maintain our position as a civilised society, whilst still acknowledging that some of our citizens do carry out abominable acts.

I would be happy if Britain joined Singapores club of civic and national pride. it may be vilified by centre left northern europeans but it does not have gangs of feral kids shooting and stabbing each other and making countless other peoples lives a misery. dunno where they got the idea of stringent law and order enforcement from any ideas. i know who left them their gallows though on their way out.

not my position on the death penalty but saying its our way or somalias is not really the argument.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
People who wear rucksacks on the tube. You're on my list too. Wanky students in pubs. Them too.

Charity muggers. All of them.

Twats who wear unfunny t-shirts. "if found return to pub". Bollocks. If found, execute.

.....There are lots more.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Do you know how much the death penalty actually costs? If your argument is about tax payers money, the average period in the US for an inmate to be on death row is 10 years, it's not uncommon for that to be 20 years. In that time there are numerous additional trials, appeal hearings, supreme court etc. then the cost of the execution itself. There are reports in the US that a capital punishment case on average costs over $100,000 more than a life sentence case.

That's the American legal system which is not much like ours.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I voted against but must admit to the same feelings as you Gritty. Unfortunately it was never proven in that case who actually murdered that toddler (if it's the same case I'm thinking about). I think they blamed each other. Utter scum.

Tbh, I wouldn't care who delivered the final, fatal blow, they genuinely may not even know themselves. To be there torturing a helpless toddler to THAT extent, they would BOTH get the death penalty if it was down to me.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
That's the American legal system which is not much like ours.

So you would envisage us doing it Chinese style then? Find 'em guilty, put a bullet in the back of their head. That's cheaper than life imprisonment for sure.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
So you would envisage us doing it Chinese style then? Find 'em guilty, put a bullet in the back of their head. That's cheaper than life imprisonment for sure.

Is that what I said ? I was merely pointing out that the American Legal system is not the same as ours, I see that like so many in the PC Brigade you can make two plus two equal twenty.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Is that what I said ? I was merely pointing out that the American Legal system is not the same as ours, I see that like so many in the PC Brigade you can make two plus two equal twenty.

No but the comparison with the USA you were dismissing was in order to quell this idea that it costs less to execute than to lock up. True, this country wouldn't run the exact same system as the US, so there would not be the exact same numbers. However, re-introducing it and NOT doing it like the US would mean doing it like Somalia, Iran, China - which is exactly what the pro-DP mob are claiming is "generalising".

If you are going to have this debate (which I think is ridiculous and would never happen), then surely the US has got to be the obvious comparison you make - it's the only death penalty nation that remotely resembles the society of UK. And, having said that, the states that are more European-facing don't use it. But anyways.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No but the comparison with the USA you were dismissing was in order to quell this idea that it costs less to execute than to lock up. True, this country wouldn't run the exact same system as the US, so there would not be the exact same numbers. However, re-introducing it and NOT doing it like the US would mean doing it like Somalia, Iran, China - which is exactly what the pro-DP mob are claiming is "generalising".

If you are going to have this debate (which I think is ridiculous and would never happen), then surely the US has got to be the obvious comparison you make - it's the only death penalty nation that remotely resembles the society of UK. And, having said that, the states that are more European-facing don't use it. But anyways.

All I did was point out something that is fact, from that you've decided that I am pro death penalty, wonderful, you should be a Tory Minister, obviously you know it all when in fact you are clueless. I suggest you get dismount from your high horse before vertigo takes over and you fall off.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I am pro death penalty.....i think.

Try to put myself in the position of someone who had a loved one murdered and think how I would feel. Take my hat off to people who would feel pity for the murderer because they are such a disturbed person etc but I would feel very angry and want revenge and think the only thing that could placate me would be to know that the perpetrator was no longer alive. Knowing that they got life in prison and would be out in 15-20 years would feel terrible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here