Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Wilkins

If Wilkins was sacked in his first full season after finishing one place outside the playoffs does it follow that Adams has to finish in the playoffs to secure his employment...?(finishing 6th is clearly not going to happen nor is possible).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So you would have sacked Alex Ferguson after his poor start at Manchester United? Or Dario Gradi after a bad period at Crewe? Any serious project takes time. As I said, I was happy with our progress under Dean Wilkins. That looked like a sensible ship that was getting better over time. Micky Adams appears to be throwing all of that away and building a new side from scratch.

the problem is that there doesnt seem to be any project or plan, no progress and in "building a new side" the old one that was quite decent has been replaced with some better players performing worse. so we have to conclude that the manager really doesn't know what he is doing.

If he starts the next game with Virgo at CB and other player in their correct postions and the best palyer available in that position, then there might be hope. simple really. otherwise we are f***ed.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
just to see if a manager who has shown NO signs of turning anything around can work his arse out from his elbow?

To borrow a phrase from Baldrick Im sure Adams thinks "Its no good sitting round on our elbows all day"...

So you would have sacked Alex Ferguson after his poor start at Manchester United? Or Dario Gradi after a bad period at Crewe? Any serious project takes time.

THAT old chestnut about Alex Ferguson??
Like Carlisle were no Peterborough - Adams is CERTAINLY no Ferguson.

And waiting to see how he does and if he improves after getting a decent side relegation - is indeed "crazy".

D

Deleted member 2719

No.

I would Sack knight and the replacement for Knight could sack Adams and then get Wilkins back to clear up this mess.

Then we could all live happily ever after - apart from the dozen or so on here that would sack everyone.

Anyone using this example of Alex Ferguson, who did poorly before amazing the football world ever since - I will remind you that there are thousands of examples for the alternative, i.e. manager who never turned anything around and did not become 'an Alex Ferguson'. You can live in your dreamworld of hope that Adams will become only the second Alex Ferguson ever, but this is the real world (and it's not England's top division)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Had to check who had started this thread

Don't be daft!

(but by all means bring in a qualified defence coach (Guy Butters anyone?)

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
When we sacked Wilkins I was appalled. It showed such shallow leadership that the Chairman was happier to side with a few disgruntled players than stick with an excellent coach who had given us 2 years of clear, tangible progress. But I wouldn't bring him back. I think any managerial project needs 18 months before you can make a decision. I would still give Adams until October next year, even if we are in League 2, to see whether this long term project we were all sold is good or an utter disaster. I know it doesn't look good so far, but some great managers have had poor starts to their tenure but been allowed to turn things around. I know it's been an awful season a Withdean, but we were sold a long term project, so I'm going to give it more time before I call for its termination.

Thing is, whilst I applaud your sentiment, I think you're forgetting just what a f*** up this season has been. Considering we were all hoping for a serious play off challenge, the 'poor start' would be regarded as a fairly dull mid table season, lacking consistency. This season has been far from that, it's been utterly dreadful. If I could see signs if improvement over the season it might be easier to side with Adams; I might even side with him if we were around where we are now but showing all the potential of a team that would put a run together. Unfortunately neither of these are the case, and the lack of any noticeable 'run' throughout the season is a real real worry and a real questioning of Adams' managerial capabilities.

Much as I like the idea of a long-term project, and I don't like seeing us as a club that is too quick to get rid of managers, I think the scale of dissapointment this season is beyond what anyone with even that concept of 'giving him time' could defend.

Oh, and also, I would really love to know how people suddenly get all these ideas about the merits of various coaches and assistants. It seems to me that it's nigh on impossible to appreciate who is successful at their respective jobs, which is why all blame always falls on the manager. Maybe unfair, but given the fact we have no knowledge of the day to day working of the squad it's the way it is.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Wilkins and Chapman would never come back all the while Dick is here - if he went they would stand more of a chance of cleary the mess up that has been created this season but it would have to happen now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here