Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Wilkins to Leyton Orient?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
He is working as a scout for PREMIERSHIP Fulham. He must be doing something right, if a Premiership side trust his judgement when it comes to selecting potential signings.

McGhee was 'out of work' for NINE months before deciding to take the Motherwell job. Plenty of managers take time out to select the right job for them. The fact that he does not have another management job in the football league is neither here nor there. There are only 92 jobs to go round and very few are available at one time.

Don't buy that, sorry. Scouting is very different from being a manager/coach.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
so he's a good scout?
whats your point???

If he was as useless at the game as some people paint him to be, then I very much doubt he would be able to snag some work with a Premiership side.

He was labelled as being 'out of work'. Not many managers walk into the next job immediatly. I was pointing out that he is obviously highly regarded as a footballing person to gain some work in the mean time.

Don't buy that, sorry. Scouting is very different from being a manager/coach.

Yes, yes it is. But his lack of a managerial position should not be used as a yardstick for his managerial abilities. Of course, if he was someone like Mourinho then he would not be short of decent offers for managerial positions, but do we know what he has been offered (or not?) and what he has turned down or been turned down for?

Apologies for the rambling. The rum is beginning to kick in. To summarise, a lack of a managerial position should not be used as an indicator as to whether he is a decent candidate. Curbishley has been out of a job for 3 months now. Has he turned shit overnight?

Let's wait for more than half a season before labelling Wilkins a complete failure. Some people were so keen to get rid of him and accept anyone in his place (presumably because he dared rebuild a team in freefall and drop the evergreen Gary Hart), but they look like utter fuckwits at the moment.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Wilkins has more experience of the game than the majority of the posters of this board put together.

Amazes me how scouting for a premiership club is put down as if the man is shelf stacking for Sainsburys.

Sounds very similiar to premiership fans who belittle teams like Brighton when their own actual experience of football accounts to watching "their team" on a big screen down and the pub and repeating verbatum the analysis they've heard on Match Of The Day on Monday morning at work.

Last edited:

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
People are saying that Wilkins hasn't been getting job offers but I'm pretty sure Micky wasn't until Knight agreed to have him back.
I don't think he'd have got another good job if it wasn't for Knight...

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I liked Wilkins and don't think he should have been sacked however I'm not convinced he'd cut it at another league one club.
Part of the reason I thought he was good for us was the involvement he had already had with the youth team and managing to work with the players he had progressed.

That's a good point actually. I think Wilkins could prove to be a very good league manager, he did a lot with our youth but he did also bring in some quality players whilst here was here. For his next job I'd be suprised to see him get another League 1 job, I'm not sure he has made enough of a name for himself yet, but one day I hope to see him managing in this league if not higher.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Completely agree. How long out of work now?
Why would he be bothered. He had a contract with us, and until he gets another full time job, we're still paying him.

That's why Micky Adams don't give a f*** about losing his job. He knows theres no way Uncle Dick will pay for three managers, so unforunately we're stuck with the dimwit.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Why would he be bothered. He had a contract with us, and until he gets another full time job, we're still paying him.

That's why Micky Adams don't give a f*** about losing his job. He knows theres no way Uncle Dick will pay for three managers, so unforunately we're stuck with the dimwit.

So, this promising up and coming manager can't be bothered to find a new job?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
2 things wrong with this rumour.

1. What has Martin Ling done to suggest that Swindon would want to possibly pay compensation to Orient as he is under contract to them and I cannot see Barry Hearn just letting him go for nothing.
2. How much could Orient afford to pay Wilkins to make it viable for him to stop receiving his pay from BHA as presumably not accepting another job is a clause in his continued staggered payments pay off.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Am I missing something? All the idiots on here who are mocking Wilkins for being out of a managerial job for a WHOPPING 5-6 months seem to be ignoring the fact that Micky Adams hasn't had a managerial job since Coventry and has worked as a Scout/Assistant Manager for the last few years. How could you all be so stupid as to ignore such a glaring contradiction?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
People are saying that Wilkins hasn't been getting job offers but I'm pretty sure Micky wasn't until Knight agreed to have him back.
I don't think he'd have got another good job if it wasn't for Knight...

Exactly, the best he could manage last season was as an assistant at a team that freefell to relegation. Hardly a glowing endorsement to suggest he is still capable of doing a decent job here, which he isn't.

How massive does our shitness have to be before Adams apologists accept that he is not doing as good at the job as the novice that was here before him?

Mocking Wilkins whilst expecting everyone to keep the faith in a season of shambles is a bit rich.

On the evidence so far Wilkins was doing a better job than Adams without anywhere near the same backing from the board.

I hope he gets another league one job and I won't be vaguely upset if his team then turn us over.

Last edited:

Mar 10, 2006
Exactly, the best he could manage last season was as an assistant at a team that freefell to relegation. Hardly a glowing endorsement to suggest he is still capable of doing a decent job here, which he isn't.

How massive does our shitness have to be before Adams apologists accept that he is not doing as good at the job as the novice that was here before him?

Mocking Wilkins whilst expecting everyone to keep the faith in a season of shambles is a bit rich.

On the evidence so far Wilkins was doing a better job than Adams without anywhere near the same backing from the board.

I hope he gets another league one job and I won't be vaguely upset if his team then turn us over.

What a ridiculous statement that last sentence is. So you are saying that you support Wilkins more than the Albion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here