Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Wilkins Andy Crosby & Jim Stannard outed by Southampton

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Am I the only one who wouldn't want Wilkins back? I can't help feeling some people are in danger of overstating his role a little.

Yes, Wendy picked a few youngsters for the first team, but much of that would have been out of necessity, and none of them have exactly gone on to set the world on fire. El Abd, Hammond and Harding are probably the best of the bunch: Hammond has done OK as an average level Championship midfielder, Harding is embarrassing at this level, while El Abd only started to develop as a defender long after Wilkins was gone.

And not one of those players- let alone the likes of Virgo, Robinson and Cox- would have had a sniff of a professional contract at clubs with genuinely successful youth policies like Crewe, Southampton, West Ham or- dare I say it- the tools up the road. Wilkins did OK, but I refuse to accept that he's some kind of guru when it comes to developing young players.

Surely the fact those players haven't gone on to much SINCE Wilkins left proved that he was the one getting the most out of them? Your logic is slightly backwards for me. Wilkins got us to 7th with a squad full of mediocre players. Get him in the academy.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He'll now point out that they're not regulars, to which I would venture that this is because the Albion are miles better as a team than they were under Wendy.

Of course they are. And I'm a big fan of Poyet, but we've also spent many, many millions on players in that time. How many millions did Wilkins have to spend, exactly?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dean Wilkins is a decent coach, but in all honesty why would Poyet want him? I am sure there is many, many candidates better than him we could attract.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
If there's a role for Deano it would be a pretty classy move by the club to offer an olive branch. If there are better candidates for the role, well, let's take them instead.

I remember his time in charge and thinking - well, we're an honest local club, on a small budget, bringing through some OK local players who are probably no better than League 1 standard, but it feels fine and who knows - we might surprise ourselves. If not, well, we're Brighton, not Barcelona.

Fast forward to 2013 and it's like supporting a completely different club. I get annoyed if any new signing hasn't played in the Champions League or La Liga and only forgive them if I can see evidence they're going out with a supermodel or pop star.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If there's a role for Deano it would be a pretty classy move by the club to offer an olive branch. If there are better candidates for the role, well, let's take them instead.

I remember his time in charge and thinking - well, we're an honest local club, on a small budget, bringing through some OK local players who are probably no better than League 1 standard, but it feels fine and who knows - we might surprise ourselves. If not, well, we're Brighton, not Barcelona.

Fast forward to 2013 and it's like supporting a completely different club. I get annoyed if any new signing hasn't played in the Champions League or La Liga and only forgive them if I can see evidence they're going out with a supermodel or pop star.

Not a time to add to the ever expanding payroll with another large salary on the books.

D

Deleted member 2719

Luke Williamson is doing a good job coaching the development squad so doesn't need replacing.

That could have been said for Dean coaching the first team, but he was replaced.

Bring him back and make Dick sponsor his gear.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
White
Wilkins (Whose training ground putting players down he didn't like, might surprise those with rose tinted views on the 'nice guy')
Hinshelwood
McGhee
Adams
And so on

All in the past. Time to move on.

I agree (with all the comments)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wilkins feels he has worked hard for two clubs without getting too much credit. We finished just outside the play-off places under him then he was replaced by Micky Adams, who brought in players who weren't as good as the ones he had promoted from the youth team. At Southampton he did a good job with Pardew and then Adkins - a Wembley win and two promotions. I get the feeling he wants to get another job as a number one somewhere else.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Your flippant disregard of those home grown players that have eked out a career in the professional game, some playing at the the very highest level shows a blatant lack of understanding of what it takes to 'achieve' within such a competitive environment.

Sorry, but which of our home grown players has gone on to play at the very highest level? I must have missed that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here