Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Wilkins and Subs

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
hes reactive as opposed to proactive - its a shame because when he makes changes to get us back into games they usually seem to come off. he just seems scared to do it to get us to win games

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Wilkins still lacks a bit of bottle in going for the game. What point is there in making subs so late in the game?

With 3 subs from 5 players surely substitutions are all part of the tactical game. somebody likes Revell runs himself daft so why not setr him 60 mins to do that, rather than trying to pace for 90, then have the change. That way players will know it's all part of the tactical plan rather than not wanting to upset players by taking them off.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
he wont name a keeper to increase his options on the bench - what is the point if he only gives them a couple of minutes when we really need to be going for the game?

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Exactly, Scott. I haven't got a problem with the subs he does make, but he seems almost scared to make them. Todays game was crying out for Elder about 20 minutes from time, and he stood there like an absolute plank with White and Chapman talking about it instead of doing anything. It's like they're in their own little world, totally oblivious to the fact we're playing poorly and only drawing at home with a matter of minutes to go!

Also, why have Mayo on the bench? He's not going to come on. Butters would have come on had a defender got injured, so Mayo was just a stupid choice. In fact, Mayo's always a stupid choice. We may as well have gone with the security of a back-up keeper.

Those are my thoughts exactly!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Actually if you were watching the bench he signalled for Elder to come over during the pressure leading up to the goal and changed his mind when we scored. He then signalled Hart over after we scored possibly to shore up the game then changed his mind when they scored. I am assuming he decided to see if the team out on the pitch could get back in it and then decided to change it.

In other words he was going to be proactive and chase the win at 0-0 but we scored and decided at 1-0 to try and close the game but they scored. I'm then assuming he waited to see how the game panned out for a few minutes before deciding his next move.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Also, why have Mayo on the bench? He's not going to come on. Butters would have come on had a defender got injured, so Mayo was just a stupid choice. In fact, Mayo's always a stupid choice. We may as well have gone with the security of a back-up keeper.

Richards had a chest infection last week which kept him out of training coupled with the fact he hasn't played a league game since he left us which was why Mayo was on the bench.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
We scored after 74 minutes, and even then only from a set-piece. Whatever way you look at it, Elder should have been on well before that. Elder for Revell is pretty much a straight swap anyway, so I really don't see that a goal going in changes that. I am usually fairly reluctant to criticise Wilkins, but today I feel he's messed up through his indecisiveness, and quite possibly cost us two points.

I sit behind the subs benches and Elder was signalled over just after the 70 minute mark but during the sustained period of pressure that lead to our goal (much possession and two corners if I recall correctly) and once we went 1-0 DW decided we didn't need to make the change to chase the game and decided to call Hart over obviously with a view to shutting the game down.

I don't think it was indecisiveness more a case of having the reasoning behind your decision making change twice in quick succession and then having to make an informed choice of how to proceed next.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It was quite clear to me after around 30 mins today that Revell was having a bad day at the office and Wilkins' should have brought on Elder at that point. To give him just 3 mins at the end of a game is laughable and smacks of desperation rather than tactical nous. We do need to give Elder a proper run out in the team before writing him off. Revell has done well of late but he is a long, long way from being an accomplished League 1 striker.

:eek:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Had Richards been forced off (which was unlikely seeing as he must have been passed fit to play) then Butters could have come on and El Abd to left-back. Not ideal I know, but still better than playing Mayo. I don't think Wilkins has much intention of using Mayo, so there's no point having him there if you have any alternative. Last week I accept we didn't, but this week we did. Still, you can only use 3 out of 5 so I guess it doesn't matter greatly.

It's not always good practice to change your centre back pairing particulary if they are doing a decent job and most of the time is only done through injury or having a stinker therefore you will usually find options for wing backs on the bench.

Booley

Dec 23, 2004
East Acton
I said to my dad Elder on with 30 mins to go!!
I think Revell is a good player, but today he was ineffective so therefore it was clear a change was needed. I think Wilkins was ready to put him on then we scored so he was left on the bench. I can see why but after they scored he needed to be brought on.
They brought on 2 plays and Wilkins did nothing, pretty poor today.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
It was quite clear to me after around 30 mins today that Revell was having a bad day at the office and Wilkins' should have brought on Elder at that point. To give him just 3 mins at the end of a game is laughable and smacks of desperation rather than tactical nous. We do need to give Elder a proper run out in the team before writing him off. Revell has done well of late but he is a long, long way from being an accomplished League 1 striker.

:eek:

Spot on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here