Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dean Smith - sacked

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes Dean Smith was backed, yet look how far that got him? I don't think the Abion board are nearly so trigger happy as those at Villa Park.

Tony Bloom accepts that success takes a while to achieve, at Aston Villa they expect it a lot more quickly.

Hmmm....They don't appear to have a history of being in a hurry. Villa last won a trophy (the league cup, or vanerama conference shield, as it is now known), in 1996 :shrug:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Dont see it happening... when was the last time a mid-table team signed a coach from another mid-table team in the middle of the season?

Statistically:

First game after a new appointment, the new manager on average gets ca 1 point which is also somewhere close to the league average for sacked managers. No bounce.

In the next five games after a new appointment, teams on average take about 2x the points they got from the last 5 with the previous manager. Bounce or return to normal, hard to tell.

After 10 games you have about a 5% chance of the new bloke having a better point per game average than the old bloke.

So is there a manager bounce? I guess you could argue there is but its a very overestimated concept.

And they don’t suddenly become Man City in a few days. It’s a myth. We’d have won if we played properly yesterday and we will get a decent result if we play properly next week.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Time for Southgate to quit the England team and take over at villa

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Time for Southgate to quit the England team and take over at villa

At least England would be interesting under GPott.

0-0 v Lichtenstein but in with a chance v Italy. :lol:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
New manager bounce is a myth so no need to panic. We need to worry on improving our own game after that Newcastle performance.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It's amazing how entitled some fans can be. Why on Earth would GP leave us to go there?

I am surprised they don't go after Klopp or Pep.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Villa would be a perfect fit for Smeggie Eddie. What joy it would be if he f***ed the Geordie tea towels and moved to Brum. :D

If I was Howe and hadn't put pen to paper and Villa came calling I would seriously consider them the better option. I think he will be gone from Newcastle whatever happens at the end of this season.

Villa have the better squad in situ and would probably give him more time.

Of course he might get a bumper payout when the Magpies move him out for someone better.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Dont see it happening... when was the last time a mid-table team signed a coach from another mid-table team in the middle of the season?

Statistically:

First game after a new appointment, the new manager on average gets ca 1 point which is also somewhere close to the league average for sacked managers. No bounce.

In the next five games after a new appointment, teams on average take about 2x the points they got from the last 5 with the previous manager. Bounce or return to normal, hard to tell.

After 10 games you have about a 5% chance of the new bloke having a better point per game average than the old bloke.

So is there a manager bounce? I guess you could argue there is but its a very overestimated concept.

I get you, you're saying replace the manager with 6 games to go not 11 games in

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Very much ours l'd imagine. Why would he want to give up on all his good work here just to jump ship and join another club who operate in the same area of the Premier League as us?

And before anyone says because he is a Brummie, no one knows if he is a Villain, a Bluenose, or a Baggie.

He’s from Solihull, technically not Birmingham, but then nor was Aston until 40 years after the club was formed! It’s widely thought that he always was a Villa fan but actually he played for both the Blues and the Baggies in his earlier years. He hasn’t changed a bit!!

625FEA26-53BD-4CB1-BEEE-3D1E6CAE91AE.jpeg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He’s from Solihull, technically not Birmingham, but then nor was Aston until 40 years after the club was formed! It’s widely thought that he always was a Villa fan but actually he played for both the Blues and the Baggies in his earlier years. He hasn’t changed a bit!!

View attachment 141961

Indeed.

Because of his background I dont really think he has a favorite club.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Statistically:

Hmm. Cooper at Forest; Tuchel at Chelsea. Just those two off the top of my head. It's not uncommon.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hmm. Cooper at Forest; Tuchel at Chelsea. Just those two off the top of my head. It's not uncommon.

Sure, it happens. The opposite also happens, like Alan Shearer at Newcastle, Bob Bradley at Swansea or Steve Kean at Blackburn. Yet no one talks about "new manager dip" despite it being pretty much as common as the opposite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here