Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond: UPDATE - Signs for Leicester City

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It will cost any club money to have him until this time next year so its far less likely a club will come in for him.

I doubt that very much.

If he's not been given a number they can hardly ask for a fee.
Any deal now would be enhanced by losing his wages.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Somebody said (on here though) that he was free to leave if a club came in and paid up his contact
I'm sure with a bit of financial jiggery-pokery (that's a technical term) and assuming Hammond wants to go, he'll leave with no money changing hands.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Hammond only had a handful of good games last season. The rest he was missing and didnt offer much other than slow sideways movement across the pitch like a Crab ending with a pass backwards.

If we are going to attack more this season, which Garcia has mentioned Hammond is far to negative.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Re: Dean Hammond

Hammond was awful, he had a handful of good games otherwise he went missing for the 20mins he came on for. I would much rather the likes of Ince and JFC were given an opportunity to learn Oscars style of play and slowly integrated into the team.

I agree that he only had a few good games but, in my opinion, he had even fewer bad ones.

No he's not the most technical, but he's comfortable at this level and would be an ideal squad player.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Hmmm.... I pretty much agree with what has been said about last season but I wonder is that him or is that how he was asked to play. Yes, he has always been slowish but I always remember when he was with us before he was great at getting forward and offered us real attacking options. Or do I have selective memory?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I agree that he only had a few good games but, in my opinion, he had even fewer bad ones.

No he's not the most technical, but he's comfortable at this level and would be an ideal squad player.

And what we'd have to work out is if that money could be better spent elsewhere. If we were to go for Hammond, it won't be until late in the window, it wouldn't make any sense to move now from a financial perspective. All the time the deadline comes closer, I'd expect Hammond's wage demands decrease or the % of wages Southampton would pay in the event of a loan move increases.

I'd see him being a first teamer for another championship club ahead of coming to us as a squad player though.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Hammond only had a handful of good games last season. The rest he was missing and didnt offer much other than slow sideways movement across the pitch like a Crab ending with a pass backwards.

If we are going to attack more this season, which Garcia has mentioned Hammond is far to negative.

That was down to manager's instructions surely, in Hammonds 1st spell with us, wasnt he 2nd top scorer for us a couple of seasons and was used as a box to box midfielder?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Hmmm.... I pretty much agree with what has been said about last season but I wonder is that him or is that how he was asked to play. Yes, he has always been slowish but I always remember when he was with us before he was great at getting forward and offered us real attacking options. Or do I have selective memory?

I think you're right. I felt he was much less aggressive than when he was with us before but he did seem to be playing in a more deep-lying Bridcutt position at times rather than the box-to-box role in the Withdean years. Whether that was because he was asked to play there or whether the system itself was so different to what he was used to i'm not sure. The one thing that disappointed me most was that when we were crying out for goals from midfield, a proven goalscorer from midfield like him failed to deliver. Although he did seem to try harder to get in the box as the season progressed. He may have grown into the role and been fantastic for a second season at the Amex but I'll guess we'll never know.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
He done ok-ish last season under the constraints of the system Gus used to play. Not sure he'd be suited to the style OG is trying to play.

Re-Signing Hammond wouldn't be the worst signing Brighton will ever make. I would be a bit 'meh' about it, should it happen though. He will and could do the proverbial 'job' for a team at Championship level still. I just don't think he's the right player for us anymore. The likes of Bournemouth or Yeovil could well find him a useful addition with experience at this level. Nice easy commute for him from his Southampton base.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
He seemed to score quite often for Southampton, bursting forward from midfield. Last season, he seemed to be pretty much the furthest midfielder back, just in front of the defence most of the time.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Difficult to imagine Dean fits into Garcias plans if he sticks to pushing forward. I am sure he will have already been considered and as there is no sight of him I assume there won't be. But as I'm wrong at least as much as I'm right he'll prob be in Falmer by Tuesday.:rolleyes:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What is Hammond doing with himself now?

I assume he has gone back to stains, but not seen him on telly

Has he been loaned out somewhere or s e festering in their stiffs?

Bit of a waste if e is

:moo:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
???

hiney2.gif

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
circles.gif

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lol

Poor dean

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We flew out to Jersey on holiday on 3rd August, and we met the Saints squad, as they were all boarding a private plane at the next gate. Hammond certainly wasn't invited on that trip.

Really needs to find himself a club

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We flew out to Jersey on holiday on 3rd August, and we met the Saints squad, as they were all boarding a private plane at the next gate. Hammond certainly wasn't invited on that trip.

Really needs to find himself a club

Still think he could do a job

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here