Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Cox scores again

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He has always looked like a player with great potential but how long can you keep a player based on potential if they do not produce the goods. Very similar in many respects to Jake Robinson he is always looked upon as somebody who will be good one day.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I agree with Ninja Elephant on this one.

YES he has had plenty of chances over the last two years and has failed to show the consistency.

But it is very obvious that Cox is a talented player. Gus has turned a lot of our average players into very good league one players. I'd have liked to see Cox given a few games given his form in the reserves..

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Weird, I posted in this thread originally, but it transferred me to the highlights thread.

For what it is worth...

Reserve football means pretty much zilch other than getting games under the belt and/or making up numbers for players returning from injury.

Gatting, Robinson and McPhee were prolific scorers in the reserves. Where are they now?

Gary Hart seems to notch a goal every so often at reserve level, but hasn't scored for the first team for a couple of years.

Last time I mentioned Cox's talent, the morons of NSC came out with the crap about "knowing nothing about football, must be fishing" etc.
Usual load of bollocks.
Anyway, Cox is a decent player, does work hard and run a lot, gets crossing in and holds the ball well without losing it. Obviously has upset, or doesn't quite get on with Gus though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bit of a party boy, likes his winebars. Or so I've heard.
That doesn't fit in with Gus. That doesn't fit one bit.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
it takes more than scoring a goal or two to work your way into the team.

You're up on your stats, how many goals has Cox scored this calendar year for the reserves? It's more than one or two. He scored 3 in 1 game, for example.

Clearly it's not just me who thinks he's worthy of another chance under Poyet.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I went to the game and he played OKAY. Nothing special, sprayed out a few nice passes and took his goal well. Don't expect him to be here next season. Gus, Tano and the new scout were all in attendence at the game by the way.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
You're up on your stats, how many goals has Cox scored this calendar year for the reserves? It's more than one or two. He scored 3 in 1 game, for example.

and when he has played and been given the chance to prove himself invariably he has disappointed. If we are talking about building a promotion winning team, then how can his name possibly be in the starting line-up?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Goals in the ressies are, frankly, a complete and utter irrelevance.
He's up against kids, crocks and trialists. Its park football, the primary aim is just to gain a bit of fitness.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He has always looked like a player with great potential but how long can you keep a player based on potential if they do not produce the goods.

Quite. And the funny thing is it feels like it's been AGES now that people have been saying "we need to give him another chance to prove himself" or my favourite "I still think he has something to offer", and it feels like the same people will be saying the same thing in 5 more years time.

He's had tonnes of chances. If we can sign Hendrie that's basically a far better version of Cox at the club.

While I agree Cox is probably a slightly better player than Carole, I don't think we'll see that much of Seb next season (if at all), barring a significant upturn in his form.

Shame to lose another local lad though.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
How many times did we see him take a corner and it not go beyond the first man? How many times did his pace and skill on the ball get shown up against a opposition with a solid mid-field? His distribution is wayward some times. If we do have a bucket of money we can surely get someone in that is better than Cox?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Cox is indeed a hard worker with some talent, but there's clearly been a problem with attitude in the past and anybody whose corners and free kicks hit the front man with the regularity his do is not going to go far in professional football. He'll do exactly what Robinson's done, join a club better suited to his ability and do OK there, I suspect.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
He will join another team & come back to haunt us, it is written in the stars. I agree that in Hendrie we would have a better quality alternative with a fuller range of attributes to offer. We now have quality wingers which is what we all hoped that Cox would turn out to be but didn't quite become. I do like him though but...........

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The one player who's release will come back to haunt us IMO. Better than Carole by a country mile and better delivery than Lua Lua (bar the one decent cross). A real shame that he's off, but I fear he is another who is being judged on his behaviour rather than his talent.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
PS - Anyone who can liken our top assist provider for the past three seasons and a player who scored ten goals in a season from midfield to the likes of Chris McPhee and Joe Gatting needs their head examined.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bit of a party boy, likes his winebars. Or so I've heard.
That doesn't fit in with Gus. That doesn't fit one bit.

Nail on head.

How many times did we see him take a corner and it not go beyond the first man? How many times did his pace and skill on the ball get shown up against a opposition with a solid mid-field? His distribution is wayward some times. If we do have a bucket of money we can surely get someone in that is better than Cox?

There are plenty of players who have taken corners and not got past the first defender. Bennett has been guilty of that and how many people complain that Lua Lua's final ball isn't good enough. Personally, I think Cox's best position is in the centre as an attacking midfielder and of course he is up against Dicker for that position. As a winger, Bennett and Lua Lua are far better options but then Cox is, in my opinion, more productive and influential than Carole who, in the time he has been here, has only had a couple of satisfactory games.

As for the comparisons to Robinson, Cox has far exceeded any contribution JR made to the team. He has been a regular for about 5 years now and as someone else mentioned, has been a leading 'assist' for the past 3.

I think the reason Poyet hasn't given him any chances is purely down to his alleged reputation off the field. And that doesn't look like changing.

D

Deleted member 2719

I agree with Ninja Elephant on this one.

YES he has had plenty of chances over the last two years and has failed to show the consistency.

But it is very obvious that Cox is a talented player. Gus has turned a lot of our average players into very good league one players. I'd have liked to see Cox given a few games given his form in the reserves..

I also agree he should be given a chance by Gus i just hope Gus gives some english talent a chance and we don't end up like the foreign Legion that redknapp built at West Ham.

Give him ago Gus.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've always liked Dean Cox - he's an exciting player and once or twice he's almost been unplayable. I'm thinking of a game against Orient (under Wilkins) where we won 4-1 and they just couldn't cope with Cox at all.
But if he's the party boy he's rumoured to be, then he's not going to fit in the Poyet regime, and personally I'll respect that - especially given the fact that Poyet has brought in quick wingers to replace him who have been consistently good.

I think it's time to bid farewell to Cox and wish him well. And if he must score against us next season, please show a little respect as opposed to acting like a twunt like Hammond.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here