Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi was NOT “sacked”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, but no 'new Brian Clough', thank you. Awful manager for us!

And of course de Zerbi left by mutual agreement, not sacked. PBOBE said so! I wonder what the outcome would have been if de Zerbi hadn't agreed to it .................................
:) :wink:
Nothing is ever quite what it seems, is it.

Good to see you up and about, kicking bottom :thumbsup:

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Neither strike me as the bullying Fergie Clough types though.
They are not- nor I think was RDZ - it’s the discouraged perfectionist syndrome (yes, it’s a thing!)
I think were, is the word you’re looking for. When I think of the current crop of elite managers they’re not the bullying types of before.

As an aside, I’m not following Pedro’s thoughts on RDZ and a rich club, does he think he’ll be a success or a failure because of his behavior?

I think they are getting away with it less - it’s just not acceptable in a modern working environment ( although top chefs are worse I hear)

I think Pedro was saying if RDZ had the money to buy the squad he needed there’d be no limits to the heights he could attain.

(Alex Ferguson was brutal btw!)

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
And of course de Zerbi left by mutual agreement, not sacked. PBOBE said so! I wonder what the outcome would have been if de Zerbi hadn't agreed to it .................................
:) :wink:
If that had happened given his principled nature it would have meant that he had agreed to work within the business model and would still be with us. There has never been any suggestion that his behavior was a serious problem, but the squad investment thing had been going on during the previous season. Just have a look at what he said to TB during the end of season celebrations.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It reads to me as though he thinks RDZ will be a great success [when he has unlimited $$$ to spend on the best players in the world].
Fair enough. Personally, I’m not convinced. I wonder if he will get a top job?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I found it interesting that a couple of weeks ago on the Guardian Football Weekly podcast, Italian aficionado Nicky Bandini stated that despite a number of big Italian clubs looking for managers, there had been virtually zero speculation about RDZ returning. She suggested that there was some scepticism about him, as his Sassuolo team could score goals but also ship "unnecessary" goals - something that hadn't been dispelled by his time at Brighton. She reckoned he wasn't viewed as highly in Italy as he has been in England in the last 18 months or so.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They're not mutually exclusive - may have been a nightmare for some players to work with, and left by mutual consent :shrug:
Well quite.

And further, when I read the initial tweet only I thought “that’s not on”, but then you read the second one that puts in context and it’s clear that Pedro has huge respect for him. And then further that the “difficult relationship” got Pedro 20 goals last season. Didn’t look very upset against Palace or Marseille.

All of these things can be true at once.

Somethingdean

May 18, 2019
Right after this, Joao Pedro says this about Roberto De Zerbi: "He's different from what you think, brother, he's an alien. I said before, he's like Pep, Arteta, the guy from Tottenham too. The level of the guys, brother, I already said it in an interview I gave in England. Top for me, top 10 coach in the world. I don't know what happened between Brighton and him, but the moment he falls into a team with more money...brother forget it, it's going to be difficult to stop the man."

Oh wow, it's almost as if there is such a thing as a nuanced situation. I thought he was good and then I thought he was a **** and now I don't know what to think!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I found it interesting that a couple of weeks ago on the Guardian Football Weekly podcast, Italian aficionado Nicky Bandini stated that despite a number of big Italian clubs looking for managers, there had been virtually zero speculation about RDZ returning. She suggested that there was some scepticism about him, as his Sassuolo team could score goals but also ship "unnecessary" goals - something that hadn't been dispelled by his time at Brighton. She reckoned he wasn't viewed as highly in Italy as he has been in England in the last 18 months or so.
Interesting. Shipping goals is one question mark, no alternative plan is another. Man management/falling out with players. Then there’s his temperament and press utterings. I can see why big clubs might he hesitant.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If that had happened given his principled nature it would have meant that he had agreed to work within the business model and would still be with us. There has never been any suggestion that his behavior was a serious problem, but the squad investment thing had been going on during the previous season. Just have a look at what he said to TB during the end of season celebrations.
Doubt it! :lolol:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Not surprising that the country which gave us catenaccio view him as a heretic.

Fabio Capello is a vocal pundit in Italy and he said, “I would put De Zerbi in the third tier. There is a lot of talk about him as one of the top coaches because Guardiola backs him, but this year he is tenth or eleventh in the table. What has he won in his career? Let’s look at his CV: he has only won one cup in Ukraine.”

Surprisingly he does have the backing of Arrigo Sacchi, “I consider him the most exciting coach of the last generation, so I feel he is ready to sit on an important bench. Actually, I am sorry that no Italian club, based on transfer rumours, will try to get him."

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Interview here with auto translate option, seems a bit like “tactical genius but incredibly hard to work with” is the short version of JPs assessment

Wish I would have seen this tactical genius at Luton , bmuff , Rome.

If he was such a tactical genius why were we getting pounded most matches in the second half of the season? And barely even creating chances with a poor defence ?

Overrated charlatan.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
De Zerbi mentioned at almost every interview that the team had to achieve its objective.
A Top 10 finish
We all know that TB aims to be an established Top 10 club.

I’ve wondered whether RDZ’s contract of employment included a clause which stipulated an option to terminate (by the club), if that objective was not met.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I hope he does, just not in the PL! Be interesting to see how he does with a big budget and a say in players recruited though. His achilles heal managing top players could be losing the dressing room if enough don’t like his approach to managing them. Player power is more prevalent at big clubs imo.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Not surprising that the country which gave us catenaccio view him as a heretic.

Fabio Capello is a vocal pundit in Italy and he said, “I would put De Zerbi in the third tier. There is a lot of talk about him as one of the top coaches because Guardiola backs him, but this year he is tenth or eleventh in the table. What has he won in his career? Let’s look at his CV: he has only won one cup in Ukraine.”

Surprisingly he does have the backing of Arrigo Sacchi, “I consider him the most exciting coach of the last generation, so I feel he is ready to sit on an important bench. Actually, I am sorry that no Italian club, based on transfer rumours, will try to get him."
I think RDZ is overrated but the first point is a bit silly. We are not man city.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here