Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DC - who's been a naughty boy then?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, the whiter than white Tory true blue David Cameron appears to have abused the system albeit, entirely 'within the rules'. Takes out a £350k mortgage, funded by us, on his '2nd' home in his constituency in Oxfordshire and then shortly after pays off a £75k outstanding mortgage on his London flat! According to reports, had he taken out £75k less on his constituency house then it would have cost us taxpayers £22k less!

What really pisses me off about this second home allowance is that MPs are using it to buy property in their constituency. Sorry, but if you represent an area then you should bloody well live there at your cost.

(Waits for the blue brigade to rise up to DC's defence)

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I thought the most pertinent question would be, how does a millionaire have a mortgage anyway?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Ironically I was chatting with someone the week before last who is a constituent of comedy Dave, he couldn't sing the blokes praises highly enough, who gave their family some sterling advice in relation to housing issues relating to his son and daughter-in-law...which given the latest revellation is probably to be expected.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
I Thought this was going to be about David Coultard. :lolol:
Seriously Though, David Cameron really does not surprise me, he is slimier than an Eel in a pot of Vaseline.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I Thought this was going to be about David Coultard. :lolol:
Seriously Though, David Cameron really does not surprise me, he is slimier than an Eel in a pot of Vaseline.

I like that analogy.

I also initially thought the thread was about Danny Cullip!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I thought the most pertinent question would be, how does a millionaire have a mortgage anyway?

If he didn't have a mortgage then he wouldn't be able to claim on his expenses. :lol:

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing

I know two guys very well that are self made millionaires.

At a guess, about 15 mill between them.

One told me a few years ago never to risk your own money, when someone else can risk theirs for you.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I know two guys very well that are self made millionaires.

At a guess, about 15 mill between them.

One told me a few years ago never to risk your own money, when someone else can risk theirs for you.

Sounds like tax payers bailing out the bankers/banks down to a tee...:lol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Odd, isn't it, how politicians are so keen on means testing for the public when it comes to claiming all sorts of social benefit payments , yet are able to freely claim for extravagant and ludicrous "expenses" even when they are themselves millionaires (or married to one).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No matter how outlandish the claim we keep hearing the phrase 'within the rules'. Were there REALLY any proper rules? It seems to me that the only rule was 'You must have a receipt'.

BTW at least the Westminster MPs have made their expenses public. The MEPs have resisted all attempts to make them open to scrutiny. I don't care how you vote in the Euros but pick a party who are Eurosceptic.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Odd, isn't it, how politicians are so keen on means testing for the public when it comes to claiming all sorts of social benefit payments , yet are able to freely claim for extravagant and ludicrous "expenses" even when they are themselves millionaires (or married to one).

"No if's, no but's" as the campaign goes..

It is just a joke. Now I don't care admitting it but I'm a Labour voter but that doesn't mean I don't think all the Labour MP's caught are any less guilty than the Tories or Lib Dems..

Plus it's gone beyond being greedy with the claims to being criminal with the flipping, it is shameful.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
No matter how outlandish the claim we keep hearing the phrase 'within the rules'. Were there REALLY any proper rules? It seems to me that the only rule was 'You must have a receipt'.

Like all of UK Politics, there aren't really any...

All just convention and smokescreens.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"No if's, no but's" as the campaign goes..

It is just a joke. Now I don't care admitting it but I'm a Labour voter but that doesn't mean I don't think all the Labour MP's caught are any less guilty than the Tories or Lib Dems..

Plus it's gone beyond being greedy with the claims to being criminal with the flipping, it is shameful.

Absolutely. It pisses me off immensely watching the leaders of the political parties trying to score points by claiming to be taking a stronger lead, or suggesting that one side's impropriety is somehow worse than the others.

Is that what the public want to see, Cameron claiming the moral high ground, or Brown stating that the Tories have claimed more money? No. What they don't seem to be able to understand is that we're seeing them all in the same light, for what they really are, which is a bunch of grasping, self-serving leeches, bleeding the tax-payer dry in order to maintain the lifestyle they seem to think they deserve.

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
Or someone in a hurry. I just assumed it would have been one of the earlier things he paid off, surely?

Lets say you are a millionaire as you put it...firstly, you are assuming he/she has it all in cash not assets so they can repay...and secondly if they were to have the cash and know that they can make more elsewhere on it than the cost of the mortgage then why would they do that?

It makes no difference how rich or otherwise you are the answer is the same. Oh and if you have a million quid and you want to buy a house for £2mm...how do you think you do that?

I don't mean to be patronising, so apologies if it comes over that way.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely. It pisses me off immensely watching the leaders of the political parties trying to score points by claiming to be taking a stronger lead, or suggesting that one side's impropriety is somehow worse than the others.

Is that what the public want to see, Cameron claiming the moral high ground, or Brown stating that the Tories have claimed more money? No. What they don't seem to be able to understand is that we're seeing them all in the same light, for what they really are, which is a bunch of grasping, self-serving leeches, bleeding the tax-payer dry in order to maintain the lifestyle they seem to think they deserve.

Exactly. Thing is, it has surprised everyone the extent they have done it.

I mean I always thought they would take the piss a bit with expenses but it has gone far far beyond that and I can't understand how it has seemingly crossed through so many of them.

It seems to be within the Westminster culture that has developed, as it doesn't seem to be determined by party allegiance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here