and they can pronounce Hiroshima.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
sometimes I'm just too fast for this dodgy cordless keyboard

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I watched the programme last night and it gave me bad dreams.
Really powerful stuff, the best tv I've seen in ages.
It brought the human side to the tragedy to the fore, instead of
just mentioning the numbers that died. When the dad buried the kid with the tricycle I just folded.
Superb terrifying television

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Hiroshima

I watched this and fouind it to be quite horrific, But it did end the war so you have to ask how many lives did it save?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sorry but it's very hard to feel any sympathy for the Japanese nation given the many atrocities they carreid out during the war. Not withstanding the beastial behaviour against allied POWs there's also the genocide and hideous torture carried out against the native populations of all the lands they occupied.

Bear in mind that Japan has barely acknowledged these vile acts and has certainly never apologised let alone made any attempt at reparation.

It's also true to say that more Japanese died in the fire storms created by saturation bombing of their cities. It's to be also considered that thousands more allied soldiers would have died had they tried to invade the Japanese mainland by so called conventional means.

Try to remember that Japan started the Pacific war.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
DO YOU FEEL IT WAS WORTH IT...?

smhiro3.jpg

:nono:

naga5.jpg

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes, I do. Having seen some pictures of what the Japanese did to others I have not an iota of sympathy. Frankly, as a nation, they got what they deserved. Their civilians found out what it was like to be brutilised and terrorised by a more powerful force.

I cannot understand why anybody fails to see that the allies (yes, the British knew about the Atomoc Bomb) had no choice save the llarge scale loss of life to their own troops. Like I said before, Japan started the aggresion with a view to ruling the entire Pacific basin.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
bhaexpress said:
Sorry but it's very hard to feel any sympathy for the Japanese nation given the many atrocities they carreid out during the war. Not withstanding the beastial behaviour against allied POWs there's also the genocide and hideous torture carried out against the native populations of all the lands they occupied.

Bear in mind that Japan has barely acknowledged these vile acts and has certainly never apologised let alone made any attempt at reparation.

It's also true to say that more Japanese died in the fire storms created by saturation bombing of their cities. It's to be also considered that thousands more allied soldiers would have died had they tried to invade the Japanese mainland by so called conventional means.

Try to remember that Japan started the Pacific war.

I don't think anyone here would ignore Japan's acts of aggression during ww2 and in their colonial rule bhax. and whilst their record certainly ain't great, what you say about barely acknowledging, never apologising and never paying reparation is simply not true in such black and white terms

anyway, i think what people are talking about here (i didn't see the program) is the bombing itself. we quite rightly talk about the horrors the japanese army did. to a lot of people this too was horrific. it is to me. 75,000 people more or less gone. bang, in the time it takes you to clap your hands. men, women and children burnt to a crisp in seconds. a bomb which effects had not been tested dropped on a city just like that. and many more people were to die afterwards because of the bomb's effects. mentally handicapped children born after the war, people dying of bomb related cancers in the 1960s onward.

it was truly horrific, and we can't ignore it just cos we were on the right side

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
IMHO, alot of innocent people not responsible for the attrocities suffered!!

As the programme stated, Hiroshima was until this day a peaceful villiage....

lg01.GIF

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
bhaexpress said:
Yes, I do. Having seen some pictures of what the Japanese did to others I have not an iota of sympathy. Frankly, as a nation, they got what they deserved. Their civilians found out what it was like to be brutilised and terrorised by a more powerful force.

so f*** their civillians is that it? brutalise and terrorise innocent people cos their army brutalised and terrorised innocent people too.

oh and plenty of people who held high office didn't agree with the bombing at the time and saw it as unecessary

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
alan partridge said:
I don't think anyone here would ignore Japan's acts of aggression during ww2 and in their colonial rule bhax. and whilst their record certainly ain't great, what you say about barely acknowledging, never apologising and never paying reparation is simply not true in such black and white terms

anyway, i think what people are talking about here (i didn't see the program) is the bombing itself. we quite rightly talk about the horrors the japanese army did. to a lot of people this too was horrific. it is to me. 75,000 people more or less gone. bang, in the time it takes you to clap your hands. men, women and children burnt to a crisp in seconds. a bomb which effects had not been tested dropped on a city just like that. and many more people were to die afterwards because of the bomb's effects. mentally handicapped children born after the war, people dying of bomb related cancers in the 1960s onward.

it was truly horrific, and we can't ignore it just cos we were on the right side

All well and good this politically correct posturing but whilst the bombs were being loaded allied POWs were still being tortured and dying in Japanese camps. Sure nobody can ignore the bombs and they served as a lesson to future generations but why the hell should we sorry for the Japanese ? Also, you're utterly wrong about the Japanese stance over World War Two. Their history books barely mention it.

Anyway, I'm old enough to have met some of the ex POWs of the Japanese, I was actually taught by one. Pointless trying to convince people of my generation that the Bombs weren't justified.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Well the older generation have a different point of view, but that is what is great about the UK. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

:clap:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
alan partridge said:
so f*** their civillians is that it? brutalise and terrorise innocent people cos their army brutalised and terrorised innocent people too.

oh and plenty of people who held high office didn't agree with the bombing at the time and saw it as unecessary

Yes, why not ? Would you have prefered that allied troops continued to die fighting a conventional war ? What about the civilians of the territories that were still occupied ? Clearly if you'd have been there at the time you'd have prefered to have somebody drop a big bomb than you put your neck on the line (unless you were utterly stupid).

Care to mention who in high office was against the bombings ? Nobody of any importance and certainly nobody who had anything to lose.

Such niavety. Anyway, pointless me arguing with all you PC folks who are so insightful after the fact. Most of the posts here are primarily anti American anyway and believe me, right now I am pretty anti US too.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
bhaexpress said:
All well and good this politically correct posturing but whilst the bombs were being loaded allied POWs were still being tortured and dying in Japanese camps. Sure nobody can ignore the bombs and they served as a lesson to future generations but why the hell should we sorry for the Japanese ? Also, you're utterly wrong about the Japanese stance over World War Two. Their history books barely mention it.

Anyway, I'm old enough to have met some of the ex POWs of the Japanese, I was actually taught by one. Pointless trying to convince people of my generation that the Bombs weren't justified.

Sod off with your 'politically correct posturing'. What am I posturing about? I am well aware Japanese text books are hardly encyclopaedic on WW2, I was pointing out that the picture you painted about having done nothing and paid nothing to former colonies/allies is just wrong. I'm certainly not defending them, just sticking to facts. By the way, have you seen one of these text books that barely mention ww2?

And its pointless convincing anyone from your generation the bombs were wrong is it? Well deary me, please forgive me and my youthful political correctness. I bow to your superior patronis....knowledge. Weird though, I do know plenty of people from older generations who don't think the bombs were justified. I must have imagined it though, naive fool that I am

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here