Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Days Out With An Autistic Child

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
You are doing an amazing thing.

I resonate with most of it, my son is non verbal autistic, limited understanding, a runner too with no sense of danger.

He also probably has adhd and is on a keto diet for his severe epilepsy which is now under control with the diet.

We have just been on holiday and it’s been a real challenge. But he mostly enjoyed it, he loves the water.

I worry every day about his future.

I really enjoyed reading your blog, for someone to choose this life you are incredible,. Keep up the good work.

Did you go abroad? I couldn't ever imagine attempting to get on a plane with all that waiting around, confined space etc. Just not sure how he'd cope, or how I'd cope if it goes badly. He has a hard enough time when we stop at traffic lights.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having read your blog, and this thread, I have nothing but respect and admiration for you and your wife. What you have chosen to do is totally selfless and quite amazing.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I’ve not forgotten your love of Ultravox!

Days out, does this tick any boxes?
https://kent.wildwoodtrust.org/#
Thanks for the recommendation. We have done Wildwood, before I started blogging, they have a good selection of animals, and quite good paths through the woods. You used to be able to walk over the bear enclosure on an enclosed rope bridge, which was an interesting experience.

As for Ultravox, well I did see Midge Ure at the Royal Albert Hall last year - that was a great night! I was saddened by the death of the Ultravox bass player, Chris Cross earlier this year, the news sort of stopped me in my tracks!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There were, they were just hidden in institutions, the Community Care Act of 1990 reversed that trend.
The wife worked in care for a number of years and told me about this. The white papers of ‘86 and ‘89 which were then enshrined in law in 1990 were remarkable and revolutionary, not just in the UK but world wide, and to be applauded.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Did you go abroad? I couldn't ever imagine attempting to get on a plane with all that waiting around, confined space etc. Just not sure how he'd cope, or how I'd cope if it goes badly. He has a hard enough time when we stop at traffic lights.
No chance, I don’t think we will ever go abroad. Like you say there is no way he could cope. We went to Minehead and had a day in Butlins, there was a nice pool that he could play in safely.

It’s very stressful for us and our daughter but we try to make his life as meaningful as we can.

Not going to pretend, it’s pretty upsetting most days.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
No chance, I don’t think we will ever go abroad. Like you say there is no way he could cope. We went to Minehead and had a day in Butlins, there was a nice pool that he could play in safely.

It’s very stressful for us and our daughter but we try to make his life as meaningful as we can.

Not going to pretend, it’s pretty upsetting most days.
We've talked about going abroad, but have decided the stress, for all concerned, just isn't worth the hassle... we have found plenty of great places to visit in the UK, Scotland last year and Wales this were particular highlights.

We pick where we go, based on what we think our Little One will tolerate. Fortunately he is OK travelling in the car, and tolerates most places we go, I guess because we are in tune to his needs...!

Good luck for the future.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks for the recommendation. We have done Wildwood, before I started blogging, they have a good selection of animals, and quite good paths through the woods. You used to be able to walk over the bear enclosure on an enclosed rope bridge, which was an interesting experience.

As for Ultravox, well I did see Midge Ure at the Royal Albert Hall last year - that was a great night! I was saddened by the death of the Ultravox bass player, Chris Cross earlier this year, the news sort of stopped me in my tracks!

We're in Brighton, but I keep promising to make the drive to Wildwood. We love wildlife.

I loved that Ultravox line up, great memories of early 80's gigs. Drove my Dad round the bend with Sleepwalk!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We're in Brighton, but I keep promising to make the drive to Wildwood. We love wildlife.

I loved that Ultravox line up, great memories of early 80's gigs. Drove my Dad round the bend with Sleepwalk!
Thanks to your earlier post re Wildwood I have discovered they have a sister site in Devon. We are down that way the week after next, so may pop in!

Billy Currie is still making music, not sure about Warren Cann, probably working on those cheek bones! :D

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
As the father of an son who is diagnosed autistic, more power to your elbow. Our son is now 34 and in a supported living flat, so he's come a long way but here are a few things he used to love when a child. Of course this is based on what floated his boat which may not be the same for your lad.

In Sussex:-
1) the science stuff at Herstmonceux Castle Observatory. He LOVED the Archimedes Screw in particular. Sadly I've heard this is going to be closing down
2) Amberley Chalk Pit Museum. Travelling on the buses and all the exhibits to do with telephones etc were particular favourites.
NW England (where we live):-
3) Quarry Bank Mill when the Mill machinery is in operation. Held him spellbound.
4) Manchester Museum of Science & Technology. Particularly all the steam machinery.
5) Bit further away but the Eureka Museum at Halifax.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As the father of an son who is diagnosed autistic, more power to your elbow. Our son is now 34 and in a supported living flat, so he's come a long way but here are a few things he used to love when a child. Of course this is based on what floated his boat which may not be the same for your lad.

In Sussex:-
1) the science stuff at Herstmonceux Castle Observatory. He LOVED the Archimedes Screw in particular. Sadly I've heard this is going to be closing down
2) Amberley Chalk Pit Museum. Travelling on the buses and all the exhibits to do with telephones etc were particular favourites.
NW England (where we live):-
3) Quarry Bank Mill when the Mill machinery is in operation. Held him spellbound.
4) Manchester Museum of Science & Technology. Particularly all the steam machinery.
5) Bit further away but the Eureka Museum at Halifax.
The one thing I have discovered about autistic children - is that they are ALL different!

There may be similar traits that act as pointers to their condition, but it clearly manifests itself in very different ways!

I love Herstmonceux Observatory, been there a few times, but not recently. Amberley is always a good visit too.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Obviously, as stated before a number of us are in awe of what you and so many others do.

But I really don't think you appreciate, when things around seem a bit shitty, how your blogs and posts are so positive, caring and uplifting for myself and I suspect, so many other posters. Thanks :bowdown:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
The wife worked in care for a number of years and told me about this. The white papers of ‘86 and ‘89 which were then enshrined in law in 1990 were remarkable and revolutionary, not just in the UK but world wide, and to be applauded.
Absolutely, I worked in that field for 23 years from the beginning of the changes, it was an exciting and challenging time. We set up many outreach projects aimed at people linking with the wider community.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Your site is great and can become a valuable resource to many people. Brilliant!

I would recommend the Aldingbourne Country Centre (ACC) near Chichester https://www.aldingbournecountrycentre.org/#/

The Aldingborne Trust are a charity that supports many hundreds of young people and adults with learning difficulties from autism to Downs across Sussex and Hampshire.

At its heart is the The ACC which has a small 'farm' and a variety of attractions and things to do for young families. It attracts over 50 000 visitors a year and has a great cafe. It is also a day centre for the people that the charity supports and many of the people working in the cafe, helping on the farm etc have autism and other special needs. The ethos behind the Centre is to provide employment and self respect for the people they support, to earn income to replace the swingeing cuts to social care and to create a place where everyone with or without learning difficulties mixes and thus barriers and misconceptions are broken down. I cant think of a safer and more supportive place to take a child with autism out for the day.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Right. Hands up immediately. I've not been round this way much lately... and I'm not begging, honest!

Those who know me, from "before" may have an inkling why I haven't graced these boards recently. I would just like to add at this point, don't panic, we are all fit and well - as can be!

Those that do know me, know that my wife and I have been looking after a young lad, with multiple health and neurological issues. We have been striving to give him as much of life's experiences as we can - particularly in our slightly more senior years, and with our own health issues!

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I would love it if anyone could have a look, take a read of what I have added, and maybe just (hopefully) enjoy what I do and am trying to achieve...

https://www.days-out-with-an-autistic-child.co.uk/

Thank you...!

UTA
Bravo, what a great idea, that excellent work you're doing I hope you help many families out.👏👏👏

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Can I just say, when I posted yesterday, that I didn't hadn't come on here begging for anything. I just wanted to share my experiences, and let those that know me, what I was getting up to. What I didn't expect was the level of generosity, of thought and deed, that I have encountered.

To be honest, I shouldn't have been surprised really, knowing how supportive people have been previously when I shared the information regarding my wife's cancer!

I cannot thank you enough to those that have posted positive comments regards my blog, and I am so humbled by the generosity of those that also donated to my Ko-fi page. Your generosity means that I can continue to run the blog for another year, at least.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Your site is great and can become a valuable resource to many people. Brilliant!

I would recommend the Aldingbourne Country Centre (ACC) near Chichester https://www.aldingbournecountrycentre.org/#/

The Aldingborne Trust are a charity that supports many hundreds of young people and adults with learning difficulties from autism to Downs across Sussex and Hampshire.

At its heart is the The ACC which has a small 'farm' and a variety of attractions and things to do for young families. It attracts over 50 000 visitors a year and has a great cafe. It is also a day centre for the people that the charity supports and many of the people working in the cafe, helping on the farm etc have autism and other special needs. The ethos behind the Centre is to provide employment and self respect for the people they support, to earn income to replace the swingeing cuts to social care and to create a place where everyone with or without learning difficulties mixes and thus barriers and misconceptions are broken down. I cant think of a safer and more supportive place to take a child with autism out for the day.
Thank you ever so much for that.There just aren't enough places around where everyone can be themselves.

We have something, similar, local to wear I live, Curly's Farm https://www.curlysfarm.co.uk/welcome/ on the Isle of Sheppey.

I should maybe consider doing a blog entry for both, at some time in the not too distant future!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here