Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daylight robbery special delivery

ade28uk

Jul 23, 2003
I could not believe the price of special delivery. Im sure it used to be about £3.50
to send an A4 size envelope. Its now £4.10

There is only one winner here.

The woman said "it is guaranteed for delivery tommorow",

I said "I should think so too"

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Wozza said:
Is this the WI coffee morning thread?

Yep.

I have a lovely collection of tuppaware, any suggestions on how I can use it?

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You could use it to keep homemade Plum Jam fresh. Wozza will be giving a talk on jam making a little later I believe :)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Ooh...go on then. My Victoria Sponge came out flat last time. And my Terry doesn't like them flat. He's not right, y'know.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Can't get a rise out of your cake? NSC comes to the rescue with a foolproof checklist and five delicious recipes
Baking cakes is something our grandmothers always seem to be so good at. Yet, no matter how many of us are riding the wave of modern cooking trends, we usually just can't be bothered with baking. What a shame. There's nothing quite like the aroma of a just-out-of-the-oven Victoria sponge; a simple thing to conjure up childhood days.

Before you Start: Tips and Trouble Shooting

Make sure your oven temperature is correct and has had time to fully preheat. It's a good idea to invest in a separate oven thermometer - the dials aren't always that accurate.
Prepare the tin by coating with a thin layer of oil and lining the base with a circle of greaseproof paper or baking parchment. This stops the cake from sticking on the sides and bottom.
If using butter or margarine, it should be soft but not melted or oily. The eggs should also be at room temperature, and not straight out of the fridge, if possible. Beat them lightly in a small bowl before adding them gradually to the cake mixture.
If the mixture begins to curdle while adding the eggs, add a teaspoon of the flour - a curdled mixture will still taste fine, just be slightly denser than one that hasn't.
The mixture should be of 'turd consistency' which means it will fall reluctantly off a spoon when given a light jerk. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water, milk or lemon juice, whichever is appropriate.
Be gentle - the idea is to keep air bubbles inside the cake, so use a light hand when folding and spooning into the tin. Try not to open and shut the oven door too much as a rush of cold air can inhibit the rising process.
If the cake is rising unevenly, it means one side of your oven is hotter than the other. Simply give it a half turn, making sure the tin is in the centre of the rack.
If the top of the cake is browning too fast, lay a piece of tin foil over the top and double check your temperature.
To check for doneness, lightly press the top - it should spring back. Or insert a skewer or cocktail stick in the centre - it should come out clean. Also, the cake will continue cooking in the tin for a few minutes after it comes out of the oven.
When cool enough to handle, turn the cake out upside down, peel off the paper and turn right side up onto a rack. This allows steam to escape and the cake to cool quickly.
And don't forget - even if your effort doesn't look like it came out of a packet (so much the better), it's going to taste like shit ...

:clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've made some lovely lemon marmalade if anyone would care to sample it.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Coffee mornings eh? - that's the one where they all drink tea and bitch about each other

Is 'Tuppeware Party' still code for -
gaggle of women sitting around discussing the merits of the assortment of dildos and vibrators laid out in front of them on the coffee table?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
AlexFrutos said:

_40949974_vomiting416300.jpg

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Jesus Gul said:
Is 'Tuppeware Party' still code for -
gaggle of women sitting around discussing the merits of the assortment of dildos and vibrators laid out in front of them on the coffee table?

Not at this Women's Institute, thank you!!!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wozza - something's buzzing in your pocket...???

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
AlexFrutos said:

:ohmy: Did you mean lemon CHEESE? Or lemon CURD? Is there a difference between lemon CHEESE and lemon CURD?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Went to see the doctor the other day about me gall bladder, you know its been giving me gip lately. Black as the ace of spades he was. Anyway, he found a kidney stone the size of a tennis ball in my lower bowel. Apparently I'm lucky to be alive, I'm a walking miracle. "You're a walking miracle" he said. Yes. Poor old Kitty at number 49 had the same thing didn't she. They pulled it out her backside with a grapple hook. Grapple, yes. Course nowadays they shoot them lazerbeams at it instead. I've got to go back next week. Black as the ace of spades he was.

Yes.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Man of Harveys said:
:ohmy: Did you mean lemon CHEESE? Or lemon CURD? Is there a difference between lemon CHEESE and lemon CURD?

No, I meant lemon marmalade. It's quite nice really (only found it by accident when I bought some instead of the orange variety without noticing).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Nothing 'shop bought' here, thank you Mrs Frutos :nono:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Shop bought, yes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here