Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Day trip to Calais

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Right, I'm taking the car over to France for a day trip at the end of the month. Any suggestions for a good restaurant in say 45 mins drive of Calais for a slap up lunch.

Also good places to stock up on beer, i.e. good choice, I'm not interested in crap lager, more wheat beers and ales.

Thanks

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
The old town in Bolougne is very good for lunch, as are some of the restaurants on Calais Plage itself. Alternatively head inland towards St Omer.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'm doing the booze cruise next week! I intend to stock up on booze, olive oil, washing powder and petrol in Calais and then head to Bolougne for a slap up meal :)

:drink:

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Head towards Eastenders(ten mins from Calais)for beer and wine etc.Very popular amongst the Brits and they except English money.It's a large warehouse full of booze.For smokes head towords the A16 and come of at junction 36.You will hit Belgium and there are a good number of places to buy fags.They are cheaper in Belgium and it's only half an hour drive away.There is a place there called Eastenders as well but two mins up the road is Tobacco alley and others.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I got some very good wine in that slighty "dodgy" Eastenders place. Very very good Rioja, but you had to hunt through the crap.

I cant remember the name of the place but there is a huge French hypermarket, with a robin? logo. Seemed cheaper in there than Tescos (which is there as well), which is basically Tescos but cheaper. Hate Tescos...

"Auchan" that's it...

While you're there try and buy something off the local traders.

Felt sorry for them with all these people rushing into the supermarket, then rushing back over the channel.

For the authentic Booze Cruise experience I would take the fish and chips on the ferry on the way back.... don't ruin the experience with some authentic French food. Get your route planned though else you'll find yourself at the back of the queue behind a thousand OAPS (like I did)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
On the subject of English money they accept it EVERYWHERE (it seems) even in the hypermarkets.

If you do go to Eastenders, make sure have enough ENGLISH CASH on you.

Its cheaper in there if you pay in English money....

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We shop at Auchan - junction 16 I think off the road back to the ferry....2 enormous wine aisles and enough beer to sink a ship....fresh food is fantastic too - and theres a perfumerie for the girls in your group (if there are any)....

I haven't been for a few years but the Haute Ville restaurant in Bolougne was my favourite. Great food, very French and run by a guy who was wider than he was tall! If you fancy a real blowout (and have 4 hours to kill!) try the Menu Gargantua - 11 courses last time I was there. Great restaurant. Located in the old town at the side of the cathedral.

Mind you, it's probably a MacDonalds now :)

And I would agree that Auchun was the best supermarket. Seem to remember the village was called Saint Martin?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Is Auchen cheaper than Carrefour. I've been over a few times via the tunnel and gone into that huge shopping complex they've built which has one in it.

Bolougne is nice, but the restaurants in the walled town seem a bit touristy.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
On our day trips across to France we normally head for the Auchan in Calais, which is probably the best place for an extensive shop of everything you need...not just alcohol. Is it any cheaper, don't know but far more civilised and is utilised by the many locals as well as the discerning English folk. I have picked up good quality wines at reasonable prices. For beer, there is English but I find the ferries offer the usual at excellent prices. For example I believe I picked up 24 Old Speck Hen for about £11.99. Two crates please!

For eating....Boulogne or St.Omer. We even did Bruges last trip. 75 mins from ferry to Bruges, spot of lunch, a wander around and back to the hpermarket. Whatever you do.....don't hang around in Calais.....it is a TIP!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Anyone know any cheap offers on at the moment for day trips to France?

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Sign up to po ferries or stella sea link.I can't remember which one.You should be able to take a car and four passengers for around £25

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
seafrance = £29

P&0 ranges from £20 to £40 but to get the cheaper crossings you have to travel at funny times.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
lander14 said:
Theres a place in calais called Eastenders very cheap booze:drink:

:wave: Read my first post mate:lolol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Dieppe is closer and nicer. You do have to go through Newhaven though.

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
rogue said:
Head towards Eastenders(ten mins from Calais)for beer and wine etc.Very popular amongst the Brits and they except English money.It's a large warehouse full of booze.For smokes head towords the A16 and come of at junction 36.You will hit Belgium and there are a good number of places to buy fags.They are cheaper in Belgium and it's only half an hour drive away.There is a place there called Eastenders as well but two mins up the road is Tobacco alley and others.

Tobacco place is called de pan (not too sure on the spelling) which is in belguim

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
dougdeep said:
Dieppe is closer and nicer. You do have to go through Newhaven though.

Get your map out Doug.I think you will find you are wrong there son.It takes approx 4hrs from Newhaven to Dieppe.From Dover to Calais is approx an hour and half by boat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here