Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Day 5 - Wed 9th Feb - SAFETY FIRST

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Inquiry Update: Hour Report, Day 2

Wandered in to an old bloke saying the Gallery speakers dont work so we could go and sit in the main chamber area, unfortunatley the only seats were on the Dark (NIMBY) Side...still at least I got a few Evils in during the time! anyway:

Excuse me if I get the names muddled up but its kinda hard to make out whos who when your an Inquiry newcomer like myself, I believe it was Mr Hopkins, yesterdays NIMBY bloke who was speaking at the time I arrived.
Mainly about Visibility of the sites, and that of the Harbour where a direct road opposite the proposed site made the Stadium visible from North/South and that of West/East would Not be visable. Well if you did'nt move and stood behind a TREE then well done...you got that right :dunce:
Add to that it was'nt in an AONB or Conservation area of anykind.

Shoreham Airport, the Guy in the Dock (some Landscape expert or something) claimed that New Monks Farm (where the site would go) would cause harm to the surrounding area, the NIMBY Hopkins piped up with "the Airport is alreayd an eyesore on the AONB", purely a metter of Opinion surely, plus as Mr Hyden/Hyland (bloke in the dock) pointed out its already there...and has been for many many years I might add! Building a Stadium would be a huge new eyesore not that of an airfield holding an existing Listed Building amongst its grounds.

Beeding Cement Works, NIMBY Hopkins agreed it was already a Blot on the Landscape as is and asked if the current A27 cits through an AONB...it does and Mr Hyland agreed. Then, from a Shoreham residents (thats me) point of view, an own goal by Hopkins: The A283 running upto the Cement works from the Bypass, Screeing the proposed road (trees/bushes that sort of thing) would create less of an impact and make it fit into its surrounding - My opinion is thats rubbish and as Mr Hyland pointed out its in an area next to a river and the Screening would not be idea, it would be possible but would be "out of character and the road still visable" of which I totally agree.

It then went onto some more drivel about items and paragraphs of page 33, item 353.8 figure B42 and it all got confusing for me! I looked around and to me left in the NIMBY side was Famer Joe with his Beautys (sideburns) slumped in his chair no doubt LOVING the current debate on Land mass and visual impact...the wanker! Then some argument that evidence brought up by a NIMBY should'nt be cross examined, again a tad confusing.

The onto Urban Fringe Development at Falmer, something along the lines of the Stadium would be Extremely Visable (NIMBY) whereas Mr Hyland said "Occasional" (presuming as if you're driving pass it you may notice it). Lots of bickering between the two over those words.

Then pipes up a NIMBY woman who can sit nearer the Mic because her Laptop is in the way, sniggers are heard from the Brighton side including a little fart I released in the excitement...gladly my blushes were spared as no one heard!. Think her name was Mrs McKay/McKie, asking My Hyland to change his wording about Walking About Falmer or some such nonsense, seemed worthless but was probably important for all I know!

Mr Clay then got up to re-examine Mr Hyland, saying that the CountrySide Agencys proposed National Park lines would conflict with Sheepcote North. It then went onto the Kemptown Conservation area and lots of garble garble blah blah crap.....I know much more about transport so yesterday was much better.....today was confusing and I felt lost most of the time.......anyway on they went:

Toads Hole Valley, South, East & West sides have development already, Mr Clay was at this point building upto sticking one up the bum of the NIMBYS. Falmer has development as thus:
North - Uni & A27T (not sure what the T is for)
West - Uni of Brighton
East - Falmer Village (and its puddle...sorry pond)
South - Download....<gulp>....BUT....Already distracted features as the A27 Viallage Way turn off (YES).
Mr Clay then went on about Screening (plants/trees) the Falmer roads by means of 20m high contour and some such, he was going back to earlier points (when I was'nt there) so bascially kept on sticking it to the NIMBYS...good work.

The Landscape Mr Hyland bloke then went on that Toads Hole Valley should remain Open with no screening (so it fits in with surroundings I presume) and that the Uni/A27/Access Road at Falmer are already "Distracting Features".
He then went on that "Glipsed views from Urban Areas are EXTREMELY important", this seems to be directed as an anti-stadium-at-THV again, another piont to us it would seem.

Then the Maps came out, various South Downs Way stuff and lots more confusing head work, I picked a wrong hour its seems!

It ended with the Inspector asking it to Keep to the original leter to that of 26th July, it seems that both sides are trailing away and keep refering back to the original inquiry of which this Inspector does not care about.

I left highly confused and wishing I could've had the Material they were all looking it (would certainly make life easier), still the battle goes on and the fit bird was sat there in all her glory...gives me a good excuse to go back tomorrow, just hope its something thats more up my street!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
:clap: :clap: Good stuff Crabbers

From what I can deduce, it seems that Mr Clay and co. are sticking it rather well to the NIMBYS.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
there was also alot of pintless NIMBY stuff about Not seeing the stdaium (THV) from certain angles and Mr Hyland again pointed out that if you moved you'd see it! Much the same as yesterdays "Waterhall is within 2miles of the nearest station" - not if you take a proper route it aint!
Seems the NIMBYS are using some sort of "Dumbing Tactic" where they think the Inspector will agree to the Basic and not the Actual cirumstances!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nice update Crabbers. I don't understand most of it either, but I guess thats one of the aims.

In all the hullaballoo over traffic & transport issues, I'd forgotten about this "visibility" issue. Perhaps we could build the stadium out of clear perspex. Of course, this will give the illusion of 22,000 people sitting in mid-air every other week, but at least they'd still be able to look through and see the A27 and the universities in all their grey, concrete splendour.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Easy 10 said:

Perhaps we could build the stadium out of clear perspex. Of course, this will give the illusion of 22,000 people sitting in mid-air every other week, but at least they'd still be able to look through and see the A27 and the universities in all their grey, concrete splendour.

Now that would be COOL!:clap2:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I think part of it is but thats only to help the grass get sunlight I think :)

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Easy 10 said:
Nice update Crabbers. I don't understand most of it either, but I guess thats one of the aims.

In all the hullaballoo over traffic & transport issues, I'd forgotten about this "visibility" issue. Perhaps we could build the stadium out of clear perspex. Of course, this will give the illusion of 22,000 people sitting in mid-air every other week, but at least they'd still be able to look through and see the A27 and the universities in all their grey, concrete splendour.

Would this cause an increase in bat/perspex collision???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Seagullible said:
Damn, good point. We can't have those lesser-spotted pipstrels getting squashed noses.

Oh, hang on...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Just seems daft this visibilty issue. When Guildford Cathedral was built (when my Mum was a kid) it was built on top of a hill precisely so it COULD be seen for miles around.

I should point out that the Cathedral isn't the prettiest structure in the world, as anyone who spotted it in The Omen will testify.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Curious Orange said:
Just seems daft this visibilty issue. When Guildford Cathedral was built (when my Mum was a kid) it was built on top of a hill precisely so it COULD be seen for miles around.

thats the trouble, the NIMBY bloke Hopkins was loving the idea (in his head) that at THV the stadium could be hidden and yet at Falmer it'd stick out like a saw thumb on an ant! Seems to me, along with yesterdays viewing, that they are picking at straws and just getting rebuffed by BHA.
Yesterdays Ashburton Grove episode especially, and I also hear they brought up The Reebok Stadium only for the Transport Expert for BHA to say he worked on it so that put them down a peg or fiver aswell!

Curious Orange said:

I should point out that the Cathedral isn't the prettiest structure in the world, as anyone who spotted it in The Omen will testify.

er...but surely cathedrals are designed to dominate the landscape, just as what they represent is intended to dominate our interior landscapes? We just want an adequate ground to watch the national game in - nothing more than (and surely it's not too much to ask...)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
fatbadger said:
er...but surely cathedrals are designed to dominate the landscape, just as what they represent is intended to dominate our interior landscapes? We just want an adequate ground to watch the national game in - nothing more than (and surely it's not too much to ask...)

Well, the new Wembley dominates the landscape. I was talking to a Chelsea fan from Epsom on the way up to the Tottenham match and he said you could see the arch from Epsom Racecourse.

There are similarities between cathedrals and stadiums in that they are both structues designed for containing large crowds, and are sources of civic pride. It so happens that our stadium is designed to have minimal impact on its surroundings, and is quite a tasteful design in comparison to a lot of new buildings, and indeed to the University buildings that will be its neighbours.

The opponents just don't want a stadium next door.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Biscuit said:
Did that Mr White bloke say wether or not he could move his appointment?

The Inspector will take his colsing submissions in Writing so Mr White can go golfing afterall, not sure if he likes that but TOUGH TITTY! should'nt go to April now eitheras some evidence or something is being withdrawn/ammended meaning less time to debate it! all good for us

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Well done, Crabebrs, Easy et al...... it's just like being there. I wonder are the NIMBYs getting the same coverage. It would be interesting to see how someone on their side is seeing the whole enquiry. Does anyone know if it's being recorded anywhere?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
Well done, Crabebrs, Easy et al...... it's just like being there. I wonder are the NIMBYs getting the same coverage. It would be interesting to see how someone on their side is seeing the whole enquiry. Does anyone know if it's being recorded anywhere?

I asked the same thing last night, was pointed to the FPC website which only has the last Inquiry bits up, nothing found for this one yet.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Keeping their supporters in the dark then... they know when they're beat!!! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

tainan

Jul 5, 2003
Seagullible said:

Don't think so as bats are practically blind anyway. They use some sort of sonar to navigate.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
tainan said:
Don't think so as bats are practically blind anyway. They use some sort of sonar to navigate.
What an EXCELLENT point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here