Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Day 2 - Thu 3rd Feb - OPENING SALVOS

Public Inquiry - Day Two Report

Fans of Monty Python might remember the bookshop sketch which culminated in the discovery of a rare book called “Ethel the Aardvark Goes Quantity Surveying”. Real fans might even have read it.

They would have been at a distinct advantage as proceedings got underway on the second day of the resumed Falmer Stadium Inquiry.

The main witness in the morning session was Martin Perry, Albion Chief Executive, who led us through the intricacies of how to do … er … Quantity Surveying. The topic was an important one – whether or not any of the alleged alternative sites were, in fact, available, suitable and affordable.

The first basic test was whether the sites were in the conurbation of Brighton and Hove, since it seemed important for a football club called Brighton and Hove Albion to be based in the community that had sustained it for over a century. That rather did for Upper Beeding Cement Works (much of which turns out to be in Horsham District) and Shoreham Airport, which, even if it changed its name to Brighton City Airport, wouldn’t qualify as a site that was actually IN the conurbation. The Club would simply not be prepared to go to either of these sites.

But anyway, neither of these sites could be realistically acquired. The Airport site at New Monks Farm had an owner who was decidedly unwilling to sell and the cost of providing road access from the A27 made it unaffordable. The Cement Works looked a bit more promising – the owner was willing to sell. But only if the Football Club paid for all the costs of cleaning up the site and laying on the incredibly expensive road improvements that would be necessary to get 22,000 people out there to watch the football.

We learned that Adur District Council oppose a stadium at the airport and are very concerned about the access and traffic issues affecting the Cement Works site. They also oppose any plans to re-open the railway to Upper Beeding, since it would conflict with the current recreational use of the trackbed as an important amenity in the proposed National Park.

Back in the conurbation, things looked very difficult with a number of the sites. Brighton Station had already been snapped up by another developer, so that was obviously out of the question, to say nothing about its affordability. Coral’s Greyhound Stadium needed to come with the Co-op store next door, together with the development site the other side of the fence, so that looked very iffy as well.

The Shoreham Harbour site was in the ownership of 25 separate freeholders – very unpromising. Even if they all turned out to be keen to be displaced by a stadium, the £83.6 million development costs would kill the project off, even before someone started worrying about how to raise something like an extra £90 million to provide road access to the A27 (£200 million if you fancied the tunnel option). Incidentally, both the Shoreham Port Authority and Adur District Council strongly oppose the use of Shoreham Harbour as a stadium site.

Withdean was out of the question as well, bearing in mind the need to relocate existing users like the athletics clubs, the leisure centre, the pub and the City’s park and ride facility. Since a 22,000 seater stadium would leave no room for a coach park, there was also the question of how to get all those pedestrians to the buses and trains after the game. Widening Tongdean Lane under the railway would be expensive enough, but Snakey Lane would also be needed. And would the 16 freeholders be willing to sell? Another site to add to the list headed “unrealistic”.

A stadium at Waterhall would also mean relocating existing community sports facilities. Access issues, like a second underpass beneath the A27, or a link road from the Devils Dyke roundabout, made it unaffordable. Another no-no.

So we were down to Sheepcote Valley or Toads Hole Valley. And this is where the lesson on how to go quantity surveying came in. We learned all about “Elemental Cost Plans” and “Value Engineering” and whether “Cost per Seat” was a meaningful measure to use. And we learned what an affordable stadium actually is. It turns out to be a stadium that can be funded from loans, where the borrower can keep the debt repayments down to no more than 25 per cent of the football club’s turnover.

Falmer met that target. So would Sheepcote Valley South. The other sites didn’t (Shoreham Harbour, for example, comes out at 77 per cent of turnover – and that’s without the roads).

But what about Toads Hole Valley? This was an interesting part of the morning. It turns out that the discussions with the owners have been very bumpy, mainly because it is clear that they would be seeking ways to achieve a major commercial development alongside any football stadium – in spite of the fact that there is no provision in the Local Plan for any development on the site. The THV owners appear to be willing to lease the Club enough land for a stadium and coach parking – for a peppercorn rent and a premium payment of £5.5 million, provided that they can develop half a million square foot of office space on the site. Now that’s a LOT of office space! And, bearing in mind that the Football Club would have to bear all of the development costs of the stadium and meet the very expensive access costs, it really is a non-starter. The option of the Club buying the whole site and sharing the benefits of a more sensibly scaled development doesn’t seem to be available. So THV fails the affordability test as well as not being available, in any practical sense of the word.

And that more or less concluded Martin Perry’s evidence, apart from his revelation that Lewes District Council had engaged a consultant to undertake their own version of the same site analysis. Presumably this use of council tax payers’ money was intended to produce evidence that could be used to challenge the Club’s own conclusions. Remarkably, however, Martin made the observation that – once you’d made the appropriate adjustments to take account of slightly different Quantity Surveying approaches – there wasn’t that much difference between the two parties.

Indeed, rather than embark on a cross-examination of the Club’s Chief Executive, the District Council’s representative agreed that it would be a good idea if the two organisations could get together and produce an agreed statement of costings (or at least a clear statement of areas of agreement and disagreement).

All very promising. I guess even Ethel the Aardvark would be impressed.

And so the Inquiry moved on to look at Transport issues. That will be the subject of my next report. But it can wait until all the evidence has been put.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Nice one Lord B. It's looking good!

I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Cheers LB!

One worry I've got is that the club keeps saying "we can't afford this and we can't afford that" etc, but won't Lewes, the inspector and possibly ODPM be challenging that?

Is there a defined figure for what we can / cannot afford? Otherwise, the ODPM might say, "Bollocks to you Brighton, it's only £25m quid more for X site, so its there or nowhere".

Thanks LB. So the availability and affordability test has knocked every alternative out except Sheepcote.

I'll be intrigued to find out what additional costs in terms of road development Sheepcote would entail though? Either no new road developments are needed, or they are deemed affordable under the club's quantity surveying model?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Derby match is sponsored by a firm of quantity surveyors.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Usual excellence and much appreciated.

er, i'm going to keep schtum on this for now(you'll be relieved to hear),but watching like a hawk.:glare: :censored:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
What was said about Sheepcote Valley? Did I miss something, or is it now agreed that it's basically one or the other (ie, Falmer or Sheepcote) which are in the running and all the others are long odds outsiders, which no-one but Gareth Glover would back?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Quality report Lord B :thumbsup:

Shame the Inquiry can't be run along the lines of The Weakest Link, with the completely bonkers 'alternatives' like Upper Beeding Cement Works being made to do The Walk Of Shame early doors. Then the whole thing could properly focus on proving that Falmer is better in each and every way than relocating to Sheepcote Valley or Toads Hole Valley or staying at Withdean.

balloonboy said:
What was said about Sheepcote Valley? Did I miss something, or is it now agreed that it's basically one or the other (ie, Falmer or Sheepcote)?
If only ...

Public Inquiries don't aim to reach agreements. They're like courts of law.

What is going on at this stage is that the Albion are presenting their case. That will take up the first six days. Once a witness has given evidence, the other parties are allowed to ask questions. So far, we've only had one witness go through the cross-examination process. And most of the parties had no questions at all.

So we've heard hardly anything from most of the opponents (including Falmer). They will get their turn to present their cases later.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
eastlondonseagull said:
One worry I've got is that the club keeps saying "we can't afford this and we can't afford that" etc, but won't Lewes, the inspector and possibly ODPM be challenging that?

I'm not sure I understand what the costs of the development/roads etc have to do with the inquiry.

Surely its all down to which site is the most appropriate, if its found that another site is more appropriate but we cannot afford to build the stadium there isn't that just tough luck?

To simplify matters;

If I wanted to build some houses on some land costing £1m but the locals objected to it and pointed to another site a mile away which cost £2m as the new roads would have to be longer.

The council agreed that the other site was better and said they would approve the second site but not the first. However, I could not afford £2m therefore I didn't build the houses.

gazwag said:
I'm not sure I understand what the costs of the development/roads etc have to do with the inquiry.
Prescott's terms of reference for the Inquiry make it very clear that a major issue is whether building a stadium on the alternative sites is realistic and affordable, in comparison with Falmer.

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
Re: Public Inquiry - Day Two Report

Lord Bracknell said:
Falmer met that target. So would Sheepcote Valley South. The other sites didn’t (Shoreham Harbour, for example, comes out at 77 per cent of turnover – and that’s without the roads).

Didn't MP make any other comment on Sheepcote Valley South other than it met affordability targets?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Re: Re: Public Inquiry - Day Two Report

Ccider said:
Didn't MP make any other comment on Sheepcote Valley South other than it met affordability targets?

I think he said "no way would it fit in the song, 'We want Sheepcoote Valley South' would never have made the top twenty"

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Lord Bracknell said:

So we've heard hardly anything from most of the opponents (including Falmer). They will get their turn to present their cases later.

This is the one I'm looking forward to. I can't wait to hear what fairytales they come up with.
Keep up the good work LB :clap:

Last edited:

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
Re: Re: Re: Public Inquiry - Day Two Report

gazwag said:
I think he said "no way would it fit in the song, 'We want Sheepcoote Valley South' would never have made the top twenty"

:lolol:

And "We want The Valley" would be ambiguous.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here